Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: IABA.org Conference- Boycott-UNETHICAL practices: LETTERS  (Read 4848 times)

Offline Kimberly

IABA.org Conference- Boycott-UNETHICAL practices: LETTERS
« on: May 21, 2009, 02:24:07 PM »
Here are some of the letters to the IABA.org  Inter American Bar Association.  Their upcoming conference looses ALL credibility with their blatant and unethical disregard for justice by way of their invitation for PLeS to speak on the subject of ethics. See letters to the Inter American Bar Association on the conference below.  Their response, legal rhetoric that attempts to simulate action…in reality just more corruption of power, lack of regard for the laws that PLeS he has professed to stand for,  bringing the IABA down to the same level .  They are losing credibility steadily.

Dear Inter-American Bar Association members;

I am a Brazilian citizen living in the USA who has recently written to you about the IABA conference next month.

I am writing this time in regards to Jorge De Presno's statement about the controversy surrounding Paulo Lins e Silva. I am utterly disappointed with the "over the fence" tone of this statement, basically saying: "we know Mr. Lins e Silva is supporting a clear cut case of non-compliance of the Hague Convention, we know he is personally involved in a case of parental alienation and Stockholm Syndrome inside his own home, but we insist in having him here anyways because of his expertise, our old colleague relationship and because he was once IABA's president ".

Do you know how this statement sounds to the tens of thousands, or should I say, hundreds of thousands of David Goldman supporters across the world who are dumbfounded by how the Brazilian government is treating this case? A slap on the face.

See this paragraph from Mr. De Presno's letter :

"we view it as our duty to provide a forum for discussion and debate on issues of current import and relevant to the practice of law. To that end we strive to not only posit the issue for debate, but also to provide a forum for all points of view to be aired. As lawyers we are taught there is always an opposite point of view to every issue. To that end we welcome and encourage everyone’s participat ion and attendance at our Annual Convention."

While I understand a debate is a fundamental and healthy practice in Democratic societies, this case is clear cut. There was a violation of the Hague Convention 5 years ago. There was innapropriate use of power by the Lins e Silva within the Rio de Janeiro family courts. The sovereignty of independent countries, which you defend and is a premise that everyone fights for, does not mean a country should sign a treaty and ignore it, nor should it protect child abductors.

Aditionally, there were several attempts to hide the case from the public and later to destroy David Goldman's character using influence over the major news corporation in Brazil, Organizações Globo. There has been a constant brainwashing of a 9 year old boy to make him believe his father has abandoned him and even an attempt to reconstruct the memories of his earlier childhood. There has been violation of visitation rights (travelling with the boy to the beach while the father had flown to Brazil to see his son). There has been an attempt to remove the rightful father's name from the boy's birth certificate. There was a failure to communicate to the rightful father that his son's mother had died. There were attempts to prevent father and son from talking on the phone (documented) and gifts from father to son returned. Everything has been docum ented.

I am sorry IABA members, this is not a custody case where a mother and a father, both with equal rights, are involved in a dispute for a child. Nor is this a case of an unfit mother or father trying to get custody of the children. This case does not have 2 sides. This case is crystal clear. The boy must be returned immediately to the father, with access granted to the maternal grandparents.

Since most of you understand both Spanish and Portuguese, I urge you to read the letters written to Sean Goldman by both grandmothers. One has taken ownership of the boy, while the other has been prevented from seeing the boy for 5 years now. See the tone of each letter. See the pyschology used with a 9 year old boy, who does not have the maturity to understand adult relationships. See the difference in respecting the fact that person who married their son or daughter is the child's parent. See for yourselves:

http://bringseanhome.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1119

Once more, I want to express my total disatisfaction with Mr. De Presno's resistance in canceling Paulo Lins e Silva's presence in this conference, at least until this case is resolved. A debate requires two sides. I don't see anyone representing David Goldman's side. Is Ricard Zamariola invited to this debate? I am sure there are many other competent family lawyers in the Americas who can take Paulo Lins e Silva's place in this conference.

Thank you,

Grace
Washington D.C.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I wanted to write and let you know that having Paulo Lins E Silva as a speaker on "ethics" at your upcoming conference is a serious mistake.

This man is in the middle of an international Hague dispute that has seen every UNETHICAL tactic used by him and his family in the Brazilian judiciary. Furthermore, it appears that his entire career is a farce considering it was primarily made in the Brazilian judiciary which is seen by most as either corrupt, inept, or both.

Your organization faces a serious risk of being seen as an embarrassment if this man is allowed to speak on a subject ( as an expert I might add ) that he clearly does not implement in his own life or law practice.

Please reconsider and cancel this man's involvement unless you intend on having him speak on how to circumvent international law or how to internationally abduct a child.

Thank you for your time,

Jon Lester  

May 20, 2009

Dear Sir/Madam, members of the IABA:

I have read the Inter-American Bar Association's resolution and follow-up press release (dated May 19, 2009) regarding the Sean Goldman abduction and your IABA past-president Paolo Lins e Silva.

I find myself compelled to write to your organization, as a United States Citizen and mother of two young boys with no legal background whatsoever. That being said, I have been following the Sean Goldman abduction and his father's fight to bring him home to the United States very seriously.

I am absolutely appalled and sickened at your mockery of this very serious international human rights violation, depriving a father of raising his natural born son. In fact, your resolution indicated that David Goldman is the "said to be father", and what you were implying leaves a lot to the imagination. Are you a parent? Can you imagine if an international law association publically doubted your parenthood? At the very least, your May 19th press release should have included an apology to Mr. Goldman for such blatant disrespect. Do you realize you are doubting a man who has the complete support of the US Congress, US Senate, Secretary of State Clinton, and President Obama? The IABA's arrogance is shocking.

I understand that the Inter-American Bar Association is having their May luncheon in Washington DC and the guest speaker is discussing of all things something very Brazilian. Does the IABA not realize that Brazil is on the verge of an international diplomatic incident with the Sean Goldman abduction and Brazil's deplorable defiance of the Hague Convention, for which they are co-signatories? It appears the IABA is asking for trouble in several ways. Bringing the topic of Brazil into their monthly luncheon in Washington DC of all places, when all levels of our government have all SPOKEN out against the unlawful retention of a US citizen in Brazil, the young boy Sean Goldman.

In addition, The Inter-American Bar Assocation Conference in the Bahamas will have Paulo Lins e Silva featured as a guest speaker on a panel entitled "Independence of the Judiciary and Ethics for Judges and Attorneys". The reasons behind this specific discussion and its so-called expert speaker, are highly transparent.

Paolo Lins e Silva has shown himself to be an expert in circumventing both the law and an international treaty. He has quite unethically guided and advised his son and the Ribiero family in their five-year long child abduction. They are not only responsible for the kidnappping and unlawful retention of Sean Goldman, but for using the faulty Brazilian Judiciary to their benefit. How could Paulo Lins e Silva be chosen by the IABA to lecture on Ethics when he himself is engaging in the very unethical parental alienation upon this young boy, holding him against the rights and will of his father David.

I am quite disappointed with yesterday's press release. Showing two-sides to an argument is a very good thing and I am happy to hear the Sean Goldman abduction will be debated. I hope there is adeqaute representation supporting both sides. However, the IABA should strongly consider removing Paolo Lins e Silva from it's speaker list. The man is a corrupt, unethical, and mean-spirited man. Only this kind of person would keep a child from his rightful and loving father for so many years.

SIncerely youurs,
Christine Schmitt
****, NJ
United States of America
******@gmail.com

Dear Sir/Madam, Member of the Inter-American Bar Association,

As a concerned Brazilian-American citizen who has been following closely the injustice bestowed upon Mr. David Goldman ( the father who had his son Sean, illegally retained in Brazil since 2004 by his late estranged wife, her new husband and her parents) and his enduring battle against the judiciary system of a nation that is also shamefully non-compliant with the treaty in which is a signatory (Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction) and the involvement of one of your own, IABA past-president Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva (father of Sean's stepfather) in assisting the harboring of Mr. Goldman's abducted child and contributing to parental alienation; I felt compelled in writing to you for some reassurance.

How could an organization such as IABA, which is supposed to foster and promote ethical practices amongst the Inter-American law community, allow Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva to be a speaker to your upcoming conference on the " Independence of the Judiciary and Ethics for Judges and Attorneys" panel?

Would you support such a travesty?

I was also very appalled by the statement given by IABA's current president, Mr. Jorge De Presno, regarding the presence of Mr. Lins e Silva at the conference:

http://www.iaba.org/PressRelease_19May09.htm

Dear Sir:

We are in receipt of the letter which you forwarded to the attention of members of our Executive Council.

You are correct in noting that Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva, a past President of the IABA, as well as leader of other international Bar associations has been invited to speak at one of the tracks which will be held during our Annual Convention in Nassau, Bahamas, June 30 through July 4, 2009. Mr. Lins e Silva is but one of a number of prominent speakers who will be addressing the attendees at the Convention on a variety of topics relevant to our members’ law practices and areas of interest.

The Sean Goldman case, and its implications, is one which our Convention organizing committee has deemed worthy of analysis, discussion and debate. It is because of this that we have dedicated one of our CLE sections to the subject.

As an international organization the mission of which is to uphold the Rule of Law, we view it as our duty to provide a forum for discussion and debate of issues of current import and relevant to the practice of law. To that end we strive to not only posit the issue for debate, but also to provide a forum for all points of view on the issue to be aired. As lawyers we are taught there is always an opposite point of view to every issue. To that end we welcome your registering and participating in our Annual Convention.

For more information on how you may register for the convention please go to our website atwww.iaba.org

We look forward to seeing you in the Bahamas.

Sincerely,

Jorge De Presno
IABA President

The point of this posting is so people will see the facts of this case and how the IABA Inter American Bar Association is responding....or I should say NOT responding.

If you have more letters please post here so they will be viewed on the google searches.

Offline ChristineS

• Bring Sean Home Foundation
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: IABA.org Conference- Boycott-UNETHICAL practices: LETTERS
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 02:43:04 PM »
The IABA, Inter-American Bar Association, is soon to become the laughing stock of the international community of lawyers and judges. Their involvement and out-right support of Paulo Lins e Silva and his corrupt lifestyle involving the abduction and illegal retention of an American minor is known throughout the world.

Their only choice to retain any credibility is to disinvite Paulo Lins e Silva from the IABA.org annual conference in the Bahamas and publically apologize to the United States and David Goldman for their blatant disregard for international law.

When is the IABA going to right their wrongs?

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »
I was forwarded two very good letters from supporters that i will post. Here's the first.

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:54:58 AM
Subject: Questions for Jorge De Presno concerning today's press release

Mr. De Presno,

I read your “press release” today on the IABA website (http://www.iaba.org/PressRelease_May19_09.htm) and have some questions.

• Why did you change the text on the IABA homepage from “SEAN GOLDMAN RESOLUTION” to “Note by the IABA Executive Committee”?
  • Why does your resolution state “David Goldman, said to be the biological father of Sean Goldman”? Your EC is either unaware that Sean Goldman’s paternity has never been in question or feels the need to insult the father of this abducted child. Which is it?
  • Why does your press release fail to mention the topic of the panel Paulo Lins e Silva has been invited to speak on (Independence of the Judiciary and Ethics for Judges and Attorneys)? Could it be because the subject matter is identical to that of the resolution you issued in his defense? Coincidence?
  • What will be the format for “debating” the Sean Goldman case? Will Mr. Lins e Silva be speaking? How about a representative for Mr. Goldman and if so, who have you invited? Can the public participate?
  • Your organization emphasizes the Rule of Law and the sanctity of the independent judiciary. Why does your resolution fail to mention the Hague Convention and its relevance to the Goldman case? Why do you fail to mention respect for the Rule of Law as it relates to the New Jersey Superior Court decision of 2004 ordering Sean Goldman returned to the US , which is still being ignored?
  • Who was present at the meeting when this resolution was issued on April 4, 2009 in San José , Costa Rica ? Did Mr. Lins e Silva attend the meeting or provide input to the Executive Committee as to the content of the resolution?
You state “The Sean Goldman case, and its implications, is one which our Convention organizing committee has deemed worthy of analysis, discussion and debate”. Fine, but inviting Mr. Lins e Silva to be a part of that debate is completely inappropriate.

You may not realize the morass your organization is wading into by going down the path you appear to be taking with the above-mentioned resolution and panel discussion, but rest assured history is not going to judge the IABA kindly for taking the side of this morally bankrupt family, once the truth is finally told and Sean Goldman is home at the side of his father in New Jersey, USA. I have every confidence that the IABA members cc’d on this email will be making this point to you as well.

[/FONT]

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
another good one.

Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 1:09:02 PM
Subject: IABA Goldman Resolution COMPLETELY at odds with official position of Brazilian government, US Government, and AAML

Dear Jorge DePresno & IABA Executive Committee:

Are you and your IABA colleagues aware that your resolution on the Sean Goldman abduction case is completely at odds with the official position of the Brazilian government, the US government, and the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML)? Perhaps you should give some thought as to why that may be and review the following resolutions/statements, all of which unambiguously call for the return of Sean Goldman to his biological father in the United States based on the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (text available at http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=conventions.text&cid=24).

I’m afraid you have embarrassed the IABA membership with this resolution put forth after your meeting in Costa Rica . And the attempt to change it from a “Resolution” to a “Note” is laughable because the document linked from your website is titled “SGoldman Resolution” [http://www.iaba.org/SGoldman_Resolution.pdf] and the text of it clearly states what you RESOLVED after due deliberation. Was there really due deliberation?

The IABA Resolution shows a complete lack of understanding of controlling law or the jurisdiction of the Brazilian Federal Courts (custody is NOT the jurisdiction of the Brazilian courts per the Hague Convention). Notice the other statements and resolutions call for the return of Sean Goldman to his father in the United States and that the Hague Convention is cited as controlling international law in this case, as confirmed by previous Brazilian Federal Court decisions.

If I were an IABA member, I’d be asking "why did the Executive Committee of my organization get together in Costa Rica and hastily prepare a resolution that is contrary to established international law and takes on the official position of the American and Brazilian governments for the benefit of former IABA President Paulo Lins e Silva, and then invite Mr. Lins e Silva to defend the resolution unopposed at our annual conference?"

[/FONT]

Offline tenorplus

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:23:16 PM »
Keep up the pressure! This is really causing a storm of comment, which can really help David. Thanks to everyone who has written.

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
Yes, please keep the comments coming in order to help build awareness of these facts (via getting to the top on search engine results).

Be sure to include IABA and Inter American Bar Association in your note as many times as you can logically include the IABA and Inter American Bar Association's unethical professional practices.

We need many many posts here and the IABA, or Inter American Bar Association clearly does not want this to be in the public eye.  The more people write the more exposure of this catastrophe for the IABA.

Offline ChristineS

• Bring Sean Home Foundation
  • Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 05:12:51 PM »
Do we know that the IABA is saying / thinking at this point?  I am sure they are feeling the pressure but what do we know specifically?

Offline FC_Florida

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »
IABA is for sure trying to do some damage control. They might as well cancel JPLES speaking gig.

One less shark in the Bahamas...:D
* FC_Florida *

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
It takes a few days for these comments to show up in search results.  Hopefully the IABA.org Inter-American Bar Association will do SOMETHING.

Keep writing about the IABA.org and TO the IABA.org.

Ask for a boycott on the IABA.org conference!

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 05:34:31 PM »
Has anyone sent the video of PLeS speaking about the Hague Convention and protecting the rights of the children....to the IABA???

I wonder if they have seen it?
We should send it to all the associates.

Offline Ceilli

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
Quote from: Kimberly;22371
Has anyone sent the video of PLeS speaking about the Hague Convention and protecting the rights of the children....to the IABA???

I wonder if they have seen it?
We should send it to all the associates.

I had a similar thought on my way home from work. If we just list the link in this thread with the words Paulo Lins e Silva, Hague, Haia, and IABA, maybe the search engine would pick it up too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mncRUT8Q-4g&feature=channel_page

Offline TomD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »
Quote from: Kimberly;22366
Yes, please keep the comments coming in order to help build awareness of these facts (via getting to the top on search engine results).

Be sure to include IABA and Inter American Bar Association in your note as many times as you can logically include the IABA and Inter American Bar Association's unethical professional practices.

We need many many posts here and the IABA, or Inter American Bar Association clearly does not want this to be in the public eye.  The more people write the more exposure of this catastrophe for the IABA.
You can go to Askville.com and find a question about the IABA hidden agenda at the Bahamas Conference with the Goldman Resolution.
On the Askville.com site search for Inter-American Bar Association and you can present answers to the questions.  Please stick to the facts, or otherwise label your comments as your opinion.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
FL Florida's letter (sorry I missed it when I posted the others).  Great letter!

Dear Sir/Madam, Member of the Inter-American Bar Association,

As a concerned Brazilian-American citizen who has been following closely the injustice bestowed upon Mr. David Goldman ( the father who had his son Sean, illegally retained in Brazil since 2004 by his late estranged wife, her new husband and her parents) and his enduring battle against the judiciary system of a nation that is also shamefully non-compliant with the treaty in which is a signatory (Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction) and the involvement of one of your own, IABA past-president Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva (father of Sean's stepfather) in assisting the harboring of Mr. Goldman's abducted child and contributing to parental alienation; I felt compelled in writing to you for some reassurance.

How could an organization such as IABA, which is supposed to foster and promote ethical practices amongst the Inter-American law community, allow Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva to be a speaker to your upcoming conference on the " Independence of the Judiciary and Ethics for Judges and Attorneys" panel?

Would you support such a travesty?

I was also very appalled by the statement given by IABA's current president, Mr. Jorge De Presno, regarding the presence of Mr. Lins e Silva at the conference:

http://www.iaba.org/PressRelease_19May09.htm

Copied from the IABA link above:

"To Whom It May Concern.

We have received a number of letters addressed to the members of our Executive Council in reference to the Sean Goldman controversy and Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva, one of the speakers who have been invited to address our conference.
In an effort to clarify the IABA’s position we provide this response.

Mr. Paulo Lins e Silva, who is a past President of the IABA, and has served in a leadership capacity with other international bar associations, has been invited to speak at one of the tracks which will be held during our Annual Convention in Nassau, Bahamas, June 30 through July 4, 2009. Mr. Lins e Silva is but one of a number of prominent speakers who will be addressing the attendees at the Convention on a variety of topics relevant to our members’ law practices and areas of interest.

The Sean Goldman case, and its implications, is one which our Convention organizing committee has deemed worthy of analysis, discussion and debate. It is because of this that we have dedicated one of our CLE sections to the subject.
As an international organization the mission of which is to uphold the Rule of Law, we view it as our duty to provide a forum for discussion and debate on issues of current import and relevant to the practice of law. To that end we strive to not only posit the issue for debate, but also to provide a forum for all points of view to be aired. As lawyers we are taught there is always an opposite point of view to every issue. To that end we welcome and encourage everyone’s participation and attendance at our Annual Convention.

For more information on how you may register for the convention please go to our website at http://www.iaba.com
We look forward to seeing you in the Bahamas!

Sincerely,
Jorge De Presno.
IABA President "

"As an international organization the mission of which is to uphold the Rule of Law, we view it as our duty to provide a forum for discussion and debate on issues of current import and relevant to the practice of law. To that end we strive to not only posit the issue for debate, but also to provide a forum for all points of view to be aired."

Although in his statement above, Mr. De Presno gives some hope in the form of a democratic and open discussion regarding the "Sean Goldman case" in the Conference, I have my doubts as to whether this is going to be an unbiased account of the facts about Sean Goldman's abduction given the presence of Mr. Lins e Silva. Also, remains to be seen if the members of your organization who may have points of view that are contrary to Mr. Lins e Silva's, will have a chance to speak up at the event. And I would think that Mr. Goldman's legal representation, being IABA members of not, should be heard at the proposed forum.

I encourage you to read more about the Goldman case and the truth about the relation of your fellow IABA member Paulo Lins e Silva with the case at http://www.BringSeanHome.org

Respectfully,

xxxxxx
A concerned South Florida resident and supporter of BringSeanHome.org and Left-Behind Parents.

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
Tom I tried to go to askville but it wouldn't work...have to be a past Amazon customer??
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Offline rachelle4

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
Wendy, you can also give your cell phone number to register. You will then receive a text with a passcode number to verify your registration. It only took me a minute.