Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ellen Gracie NO Position in WTO/Goldman Case  (Read 7851 times)

Offline todez

Re: Ellen Gracie NO Position in WTO/Goldman Case
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
Its interesting that Claudio Humberto, the reporter for Tribuna do Norte, mentions that 22 children have been returned to Brazil (7 from the U.S.) because of the Hague
Convention, but conveniently doesn't mention the fact that Brazil has not returned a child back to the U.S, though he does state they are a member of the convention!  And he gives no proof that Ms. Clinton had anything to do with the Ms. Gracie not being named to the WTO.  Then to add to it, he connects it to Mr. Goldman's case, without any proof whatsoever.  Biased and erroneous reporting, in my opinion.  Amazing, the lack of responsibiltiy in the Brazilian press!

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 01:23:29 PM »
Quote from: todez;22758
but conveniently doesn't mention the fact that Brazil has not returned a child back to the U.S

To date, no one has been able to provide evidence that Brazil has ever returned a child to ANY OTHER HAGUE COUNTRY period, other than perhaps a negotiated return. I'm hard pressed to believe that Brazilian law enforcement has ever actually done its job when it comes to enforcing a court order for the return of a child.

Offline Grace

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »
Lukie, it could be a conclusion drawn by said reporter. I also have not seen those comments on major news outlets.

It's not difficult to find out whether this is just gossip.

Offline Mom25

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 02:21:10 PM »
I googled... and there are several entries there... lots of bloggers and some news agencies as well... diario do sul, pantanal news... keep your eyes opened.... but it is not in the major papers... I don't think....
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

JonathanR

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
Quote from: Sashia;22739
Hillary defeated Ellen Tracy's quest for a position on the WTO
Hillary states it's in retrubition for the failure to return Sean Goldman

Portuguese http://tribunadonorte.com.br/noticias/110593.html

English
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://tribunadonorte.com.br/noticia.php%3Fid%3D110593&ei=vrIbSo7yMZiMtgeszunnDA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522Sean%2Bgoldman%2522%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_pt%26sa%3DN%26start%3D10%26tbs%3Dqdr:d

Well GOOD!!! The first sign of hardball that's been seen in awhile!

Offline Rio Gringa

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 04:01:15 PM »
I'm going to go with LukieD on this one. Not to belittle the case, but this type of decision is a) not entirely up to Hillary and b) unlikely related to Sean's case. Both may have had an influence, but it's a big stretch to make the kind of announcement like they did in the original article. Poor journalism, as usual.

Offline sara

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 04:50:57 PM »
This is from Veja Radar on-line No mention of SOS Clinton and probably more factual.

Ellen Gracie perde indicação

A ministra Ellen Gracie não será juíza da Organização Mundial do Comércio (OMC). A vaga - que foi aberta com a saída de outro brasileiro, Luís Olavo Baptista - ficará com o candidato do México, o advogado Ricardo Ramirez.      
O martelo acabou de ser batido na OMC, em Genebra, e tanto Amorim quanto Ellen Gracie já foram avisados da decisão.      
A ex-presidente do STF era considerada a favorita, mas os EUA, China e parte da Europa apostaram no mexicano.      
É uma derrota significativa do Itamaraty. Nas últimas semanas, para justificar o apoio ao polêmico ministro da Cultura do Egito ao cargo de diretor-geral da Unesco, o antissemita Farouk Hosni, Celso Amorim não se cansou de repetir que o Brasil tinha duas prioridades: eleger Ellen e fazer o Rio a sede das Olimpíadas de 2016.

http://veja.abril.com.br/blog/radar-on-line/

tartine

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
Quote from: Rio Gringa;22788
I'm going to go with LukieD on this one. Not to belittle the case, but this type of decision is a) not entirely up to Hillary and b) unlikely related to Sean's case. Both may have had an influence, but it's a big stretch to make the kind of announcement like they did in the original article. Poor journalism, as usual.

I agree, decision is ultimately made by the USTR - USTrade Representative.

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

It's funny, I emailed several prominant Brazilian journalists ( if you can call them that ) a few months back and said "I would hate to see Brazil not be considered for a seat at the U.N., lose their Olympic bid, or have another situation happen where the whole country is penalized because of JPLS and companies actions".......

I emailed them again yesterday and simply stated "it's started" and then copied my old email under it.......

I then urged all of them to consider writing a piece talking about how this case could effect the entire country's credability......

We'll see if anyone has the cojones to actually do it......
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

Offline todez

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »
Ellen Gracie gave an interview to Folha de Sao Paulo.  I've included the link:

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/brasil/ult96u572562.shtml

She says Brazil was "more damaged by its qualities than by its defects", but she takes the high road in all of her responses to the reporters questions.  The newspaper does mention Sean's case, but only in passing.  Ms. Gracie makes no mention, nor is she asked by the reporter, if her defeat was related in any way to the case or if Ms. Clinton had any involvement in the decision.

At one point, she's asked about if the fact that she's tried to leave the Supreme Court (STF) 2 times could lead people to believe that she's only staying on the SC because of lack of other options.
She answers that it's a good time to clear that up, saying the the story about the Hague was reported and continues to be repeated, but she never assumed that spot. She says the idea may have propagated because she formed a study group in the SC about the Hague convention in respect to the kidnapping of minors.  The paper then states in brackets [now discussing the case of the boy Sean].

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:09 PM »
Quote from: jl2saint;22836

It's funny, I emailed several prominant Brazilian journalists ( if you can call them that ) a few months back and said "I would hate to see Brazil not be considered for a seat at the U.N., lose their Olympic bid, or have another situation happen where the whole country is penalized because of JPLS and companies actions".......

I emailed them again yesterday and simply stated "it's started" and then copied my old email under it.......

I then urged all of them to consider writing a piece talking about how this case could effect the entire country's credability......

We'll see if anyone has the cojones to actually do it......

jl2saint... I'll be very interested to see if they pick up on that! However, more likely, they'll bury it on page 35. :rolleyes:
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Offline wicasa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2022, 03:35:17 AM »

Offline wicasa

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2022, 03:36:44 AM »