Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: STF Minister says STF is in trouble  (Read 14124 times)

Offline :: ultranol ::

• http://www.twitter.com/ultranol
STF Minister says STF is in trouble
« on: June 04, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »
http://veja.abril.uol.com.br/blog/radar-on-line/171865_comentario.shtml

Pelo menos um ministro do Supremo, ouvido agora há pouco, avalia que a decisão sobre o mérito do caso "é um problemão" para o STF:
- É um problemão que se criará: o STF é uma Corte Constitucional, não é o local para se discutir Direito de Família. Não nos cabe essa decisão.

At least one of the STF ministers, heard some minutes ago, estimates that the decision about the merits of this case creates a big trouble for the Tribunal:
- They brought a big trouble for us: STF is a Constitutional Court, it's not the appropriate place to discuss Family Rights. This decision is not up to us.

Yeah, right... so why did they poke their noses where it wasn't their businesses?

Offline Sashia

• Veteran Member
Re: STF Minister says STF is in trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26:53 PM »
Quote from: :: ultranol ::;27667

Pelo menos um ministro do Supremo, ouvido agora há pouco, avalia que a decisão sobre o mérito do caso "é um problemão" para o STF:
- É um problemão que se criará: o STF é uma Corte Constitucional, não é o local para se discutir Direito de Família. Não nos cabe essa decisão.

At least one of the STF ministers, heard some minutes ago, estimates that the decision about the merits of this case creates a big trouble for the Tribunal:
- They brought a big trouble for us: STF is a Constitutional Court, it's not the appropriate place to discuss Family Rights. This decision is not up to us.

Yeah, right... so why did they poke their noses where it wasn't their businesses?

All of Brazils Misisters that responded to my emails told me the same thing. Don't give up!!! Keep fighting!!!! (not that we would have quit!), but They were right. I think the house of cards is about to come tumbling down. This would be the time to demand ALL kidnapped chldren be prepared for the trip home. If the Senate and Congress agree on Sanctions, it seems pointless to have to do it again for eazh breach of the Hague.

Offline kathy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 09:38:02 PM »
So this seems very positive ..I'm very hopeful but as David has been let down sooo many times so has his family and all of us here...

Offline anna42

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 09:40:34 PM »
Quote from: :: ultranol ::;27667

I agree...why did they poke their nose into it...to cause more pain for David and Sean!

Offline roger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »
Quote from: anna42;28120
I agree...why did they poke their nose into it...to cause more pain for David and Sean!

One of the Justices poked his nose. It does not mean that the others will follow suit.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 09:47:36 PM »
Quote from: roger;28122
One of the Justices poked his nose. It does not mean that the others will follow suit.

Exactly right. They had a strategy and they knew they only needed to pick off one judge sympathetic to their cause to succeed in getting a stay order. I'm sure they had Marco Aurelio de Mello sized up well in advance. This was their ace in the hole strategy if they didn't like their chances with the Federal judge of second instance who would be reviewing any appeal to Judge Pinto's ruling. Maybe the clock was ticking and they didn't like their chances so they went back and played the constitutional card. It's nice to have the connections to enable a political party to file a petition on your behalf, isn't it? I wonder how many Brazilians could succeed in pulling that off. I bet not many.

And I don't presume to know about any contact between these families and Marco Aurelio ahead of time, or how well the Minister knows Tostes or these families, but it sure does make you wonder...

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
Quote from: Sashia;27684
All of Brazils Misisters that responded to my emails told me the same thing. Don't give up!!! Keep fighting!!!! (not that we would have quit!), but They were right. I think the house of cards is about to come tumbling down. This would be the time to demand ALL kidnapped chldren be prepared for the trip home. If the Senate and Congress agree on Sanctions, it seems pointless to have to do it again for eazh breach of the Hague.

Hey! They wrote you back?! How come they didn't write me back?! Stupid gmail e-mail prolly put me in their trashbin!  Off to send another e-mail!
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Offline Jaboo

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 09:52:04 PM »
Marco aurelio is a good old boy from rio.  You can be rest assured he is a friend of the family.

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:23 PM »
Quote from: LukieD;28135
Exactly right. They had a strategy and they knew they only needed to pick off one judge sympathetic to their cause to succeed in getting a stay order. I'm sure they had Marco Aurelio de Mello sized up well in advance. This was their ace in the hole strategy if they didn't like their chances with the Federal judge of second instance who would be reviewing any appeal to Judge Pinto's ruling. Maybe the clock was ticking and they didn't like their chances so they went back and played the constitutional card. It's nice to have the connections to enable a political party to file a petition on your behalf, isn't it? I wonder how many Brazilians could succeed in pulling that off. I bet not many.

And I don't presume to know about any contact between these families and Marco Aurelio ahead of time, or how well the Minister knows Tostes or these families, but it sure does make you wonder...
You were sure busy today on the TV and you were great.

Offline roger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »

LukieD, all Justices know Tostes, Dornelles, and the Lins e Silva family. Unfortunately for David and for justice in this case, these guys are at the top of the hill in the Brazilian legal community and, as such, benefit from being in the same good ol' boys club as all Justices.

Offline FC_Florida

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 10:02:57 PM »
So Roger,
the STF judges will have to come to a decision next week, no matter what? No more stalling?
* FC_Florida *

Offline rcgracia

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 10:06:59 PM »

I so agree!! Hey, great job on tv today!!!

Offline roger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:08:43 PM »
Quote from: FC_Florida;28152
So Roger,
the STF judges will have to come to a decision next week, no matter what? No more stalling?

Don't know. But I don't think it is going to be final whichever way it goes, because the Justices will be reviewing the merits of the stay issued by Justice Marco Aurelio, not the merits of Judge Pereira Pinto's decision.

The actual appeal on the merits of Judge Pereira Pinto's decision must be heard first at the federal appellate court in Rio. And this federal appellate court can issue another stay of execution, even if the Justices at the Supreme Court next week (or whenever) overrule Justice Marco Aurelio's stay.

The LeS just did not want to take the chance at the federal appellate court and hit the emergency button at the Supreme Court.

Offline noah3698

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Quote from: roger;28146
LukieD, all Justices know Tostes, Dornelles, and the Lins e Silva family. Unfortunately for David and for justice in this case, these guys are at the top of the hill in the Brazilian legal community and, as such, benefit from being in the same good ol' boys club as all Justices.

Roger, I am a little confused here.  I remember the other night you got pretty upset over some people disrespecting the STF Justices by saying they are being paid off by the Lin E Silva family.  The way I look at it being paid in exchange for special treatment is no different than recieving it  because you are in the same "good ol' boys club".  They are both unethical and in no way deserving of any respect from us.

Offline whartn

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
Quote from: roger;28146
Where is Lula in this equation?:conf: