Bring Sean Home Foundation > International Abduction Cases

Open Letter to Journalists

(1/48) > >>

tweinstein:
Dear  Members of the Press:

The Bring Sean Home campaign has done an excellent job of focusing attention on the widespread tragedy of parental abduction. As you are already aware, there are over 40 cases alone representing over 60 children from the United States who remain illegally in Brazil... and 1000's of other children in other countries like Mexico, Japan, India etc..  We are grateful for the support from everybody who is part of the campaign as well as the media who are doing their best to focus the public's attention on this ongoing calamity.

Through BringSeanHome.org, millions of people around the world have learned about David's fight as well as those of us whose stories are still largely unknown. The situation of Sean is relatively unique in that at this point, David is the ONLY person who has a legal right to his child. Most of the rest of us still have our children's other parent to deal with.

Consider the power that you have as journalists and the obligation to always be conscious of the repercussions that an article or story you write may have. Many of the left-behind parents have been able to maintain some sense of a relationship with their children and live in fear of additional restrictions being placed by the abducting parent as a result of an aggressive news story being published.

We ask you to be aware of the delicate balance that we must play between aggressively promoting our stories and cause and the need to be passive so as not to "stir up the pot". Please be careful to not distribute our personal information that you may have obtained as well as always remembering to contact us for explicit permission before publishing any information about our case.

We write this letter as a precaution and are pleased to say that so far, our joint efforts have been successful without any repercussions. Again, thank you for your continued support.

The Remaining  Left-Behind Parents       

SageDad:

--- Quote from: tweinstein on March 05, 2009, 01:02:27 PM ---
Consider the power that you have as journalists and the obligation to always be conscious of the repercussions that an article or story you write may have. Many of the left-behind parents have been able to maintain some sense of a relationship with their children and live in fear of additional restrictions being placed by the abducting parent as a result of an aggressive news story being published.

We ask you to be aware of the delicate balance that we must play between aggressively promoting our stories and cause and the need to be passive so as not to "stir up the pot". Please be careful to not distribute our personal information that you may have obtained as well as always remembering to contact us for explicit permission before publishing any information about our case.

--- End quote ---

Been meaning to call bullshit on that for a very long time now.. I don't know any left behind parents besides you that is able to maintain some sense of a relationship.  

tweinstein:

--- Quote from: carlos on April 20, 2010, 05:13:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: tweinstein on March 05, 2009, 01:02:27 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Been meaning to call bullshit on that for a very long time now.. I don't know any left behind parents besides you that is able to maintain some sense of a relationship.  

--- End quote ---
I know that Marty Pate and Dirlene Bindler have good relationships. I might have misspoken by saying many instead of some.

Marcy:
I also respectfully disagree with this.  The only way to bring attention to the growing problem of international parental child abduction is to stir the pot.

braziliandad:
I am also one of those. I see my daughter once a month or so through Skype. She knows who I am, calls me "papai"(daddy) and we have specific games between us that I know she plays with no one else. It's not at all a relationship like the one I could or would like to have with my daughter, but a damaging news article could trigger in my ex the desire to cut off all contact.

The worst part of having limited contact is that it numbs you a bit for the enormous surreality of the situation. Our desire to have a normal relationship with our children is so big that one tends to not put so much pressure or be so diligent as when there's no access. I've noticed clearly that when she doesn't show up for skype or I don't get to see my daughter as agreed, those are the times when I work harder to get my daughter back, or come back to visit these forums.

Which is why I think it's fair to say that the LBPs who have limited contact with their children will probably be more than you think. Also, please remember now that in Brazil it is a crime to cut contact completely (as in Parental Alienation Syndrome) though it is a doozy to try to prove that, a long record of denials when attempts are made to see a child can be very helpful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version