Goldman Forums > Main Forum (Goldman)

catholic church involvement

(1/47) > >>

ekc:
I was wondering if the catholic church is involved at all.  I know it is a huge prescence in brazil and I am sure that returning sean would be the right thing to do in the eyes of the church.  maybe it is time to move beyond the political aspect...

tenorplus:
We did this some months ago - but it never hurts to continue this effort until SEAN COMES HOME WITH DAVID... and also with regard to all the LBP's and their dear children.

Grace:
The Catholic Church in Brazil has always tended to the powerful. Remember the role of the Catholic church during WWII? They did not make a peep about the concentration camps. In Brazil it is the same. The priests always hobnobbed with the local rich families in the past. Nowadays, the church does not interfere much with the government, there is more separation of church and state. My opinion: useless.

tenorplus:

--- Quote from: Grace;30377 ---The Catholic Church in Brazil has always tended to the powerful. Remember the role of the Catholic church during WWII? They did not make a peep about the concentration camps. In Brazil it is the same. The priests always hobnobbed with the local rich families in the past. Nowadays, the church does not interfere much with the government, there is more separation of church and state. My opinion: useless.
--- End quote ---
Grace - I would have to agree... while it does not hurt to contact them, the church in Brazil msot likely will continue to stand much as it has for many years. Useless excercise ~ probably... hurt to contact ~ no, but don't anticipate a lot happening from this. The last time it was tried I do not think anyone recieved even a pleasant reply. Thanks, Grace - you offer excellent insight(s)!!!:cheer::cheer:

Grace:
And I am going to refrain to say anything else on this subject for fear of offending those who are Catholics. I was raised Catholic and remained one until my late 20's, early 30's, so I have some experience with the role of the church in a developing country like Brazil. And it's not so good.

Anyhow, the Brazilian singer who contacted us was going to try to engage some Brazilian artists and even Hebe Camargo (hugely popular talk show personality, a la Oprah). I wonder how that is going. Hebe Camargo now works for Globo, so I don't have much faith.

As I have said before, a lot of people won't take a stand for fear of retaliation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version