Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reactions in Portuguese to articles on David and Sean's plight  (Read 42276 times)

Isabel

Reactions in Portuguese to articles on David and Sean's plight
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
In reading the various articles and blogs that are starting to appear in Portuguese on David and Sean Goldman's story, I noted with interest that the comments in Portuguese show very little support for the Ribeiro Carneiro and Lins e Silva family.  Many actually show disgust at their attitudes and 99% seem unanimous in believing that Sean should be with his father. I won't even get into how some speak about Bruna, since she is no longer amongst us to defend herself. Let's just say that it seems that the Brazilians that are commenting on the blogs and newspaper websites do not appreciate mothers that take children away from loving fathers.

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:58:38 PM »
Yay.  So it is spreading over there?  The news?  I hope this is resolved before the Brazilian President comes here.

Offline dana

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:02:49 PM »
YES!!! I hope that the more people in Brazil find out about what is going on w/ Sean, that they (the abductors) are ashamed of themselves in public.

Isabel

Article in the Brazilian Voice
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
There was an article in the Brazilian voice today on François Larivee's story. François is another father who had is son kidnapped by his wife.

http://www.brazilianvoice.com/bv_noticias/bv_comunidade/2629.html

The article mentions the problems in enforcing the Hague Convention in Brazil due to all the appeals and bureacracy available to the kidnapping parent.

It also mentions David's story and how the "famous attorney João Paulo Lins e Silva" is trying to get custody of Sean (guess the Brazilian Voice is not scared of the gag order on the press!)

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »
This is great.

Offline TomD

• Global Moderator
Let's encourage Brasileiros to express displeasure strongly
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:21:14 PM »
Quote from: Isabel;56
In reading the various articles and blogs that are starting to appear in Portuguese on David and Sean Goldman's story, I noted with interest that the comments in Portuguese show very little support for the Ribeiro Carneiro and Lins e Silva family. Many actually show disgust at their attitudes and 99% seem unanimous in believing that Sean should be with his father. I won't even get into how some speak about Bruna, since she is no longer amongst us to defend herself. Let's just say that it seems that the Brazilians that are commenting on the blogs and newspaper websites do not appreciate mothers that take children away from loving fathers.

The 99% are decent people who are not fooled by the culprits and are not beholden to them. We need to thank them for speaking out and encourage them to express their disgust to their government. A grass-roots mobilization of this displeasure and anger should help convinced the federal officials that they must take corrective action or risk public outrage.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I'd be curious to know whether the majority of blogs in Portuguese are from people living INSIDE or OUTSIDE of Brazil. I'm sure that the attitude of Cubans living in Miami is very different from Cubans living in Cuba. (Note: I'm NOT implying anything about Brazilians by using Cuba as a comparison)

When I speak to my wife's family in Brazil about my ongoing fight, they actually place a lot of blame on the United States government for Brazil's non-compliance. They feel that it is not so much a cultural reason, but simply because their government doesn't like the U.S. To this I reply, "Then why doesn't Brazil send back children to Canada, Australia, etc?"

Isabel

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:50 PM »
tweinstein, assuming that the information on the blogs are correct, some are living abroad (not only in the US but also Europe) but others are in Brazil, including in Rio. As for the comments, it is virtually impossible to know where the people are, except in the few cases where they mention this.

As for blaming the US, I live abroad and it is true that the US is somewhat seen as a paper tiger now-a-days, but that cannot be the excuse for a country not abiding by an INTERNATIONAL TREATY. Besides, what's the excuse in François' case? And in all the other cases affecting citizens of other countries? Personally, I just think that because Brazil sees the children of Brazilian citizens as Brazilian, they side with the Brazilian parent and just ignore international law. I don't think it has anything to do with wanting to "stand up" to the States, but this is just my personal opinion.

Quote from: tweinstein;81
I'd be curious to know whether the majority of blogs in Portuguese are from people living INSIDE or OUTSIDE of Brazil. I'm sure that the attitude of Cubans living in Miami is very different from Cubans living in Cuba. (Note: I'm NOT implying anything about Brazilians by using Cuba as a comparison)

When I speak to my wife's family in Brazil about my ongoing fight, they actually place a lot of blame on the United States government for Brazil's non-compliance. They feel that it is not so much a cultural reason, but simply because their government doesn't like the U.S. To this I reply, "Then why doesn't Brazil send back children to Canada, Australia, etc?"

Offline Bob D'Amico

• Veteran Member
    • Bring Sean Home Foundation
Brazilian Voice
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:24 PM »
Brazilian Voice is a U.S based newspaper serving the large Portuguese - American and Brazilian - American communities in New Jersey, NY, MA and Rhode Island. They are not subject to any so-called press gag orders in Brazil.

It's good to see they are continuing to follow the fact that Brazil is consistently not complying with the terms of the Hague Convention. You can bet that Brazilian Americans will spread the word back home about the +50 abduction cases of North American children and the lack of cooperation of the Brazilian judiciary and government.
Bob D'Amico

SONYAMARSHALL

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 10:11:52 PM »
Quote from: tweinstein;81

It doesn't matter or I should say it shouldn't matter whether or not the governments are best friends. Law is Law. Return these kids!

Offline Hanna

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:36 AM »
Quote from: Isabel;56
In reading the various articles and blogs that are starting to appear in Portuguese on David and Sean Goldman's story, I noted with interest that the comments in Portuguese show very little support for the Ribeiro Carneiro and Lins e Silva family. Many actually show disgust at their attitudes and 99% seem unanimous in believing that Sean should be with his father. I won't even get into how some speak about Bruna, since she is no longer amongst us to defend herself. Let's just say that it seems that the Brazilians that are commenting on the blogs and newspaper websites do not appreciate mothers that take children away from loving fathers.

I agree with what Tweinstein point. All my family in Brazil got really defensive with me when I told them about this story. I told them how I thought what happend to David G. was such an injustice and how Brazil did not comply with the Hague Convention. They all gave me cold shoulders and did not want to discuss the story any further. I am very upset and sad with their reaction. I thought I'd get their support and understanding, but no.

Offline Hanna

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »
I agree with your point. All my family in Brazil got really defensive with me when I told  about this story. I told them how I thought what happend to David G. was such an injustice and how Brazil did not comply with the Hague Convention. They all gave me cold shoulders and did not want to discuss the story any further. I am very upset and sad with their reaction. I thought I'd get their support and understanding, but no. They don't seem to understand this is not a 'football' match (soccer) but an international custody battle.

Offline Claudia.Hope

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
Quote from: Isabel;70
There was an article in the Brazilian voice today on François Larivee's story. François is another father who had is son kidnapped by his wife.

http://www.brazilianvoice.com/bv_noticias/bv_comunidade/2629.html

The article mentions the problems in enforcing the Hague Convention in Brazil due to all the appeals and bureacracy available to the kidnapping parent.

It also mentions David's story and how the "famous attorney João Paulo Lins e Silva" is trying to get custody of Sean (guess the Brazilian Voice is not scared of the gag order on the press!)

Gag order on the press:

The gag order is not over in Brazil, Revista Piaui, O Estado de Sao Paulo, Consultor Juridico, G1 Globo, Jornal O Globo, Jornal Zero Hora etc...Had to pay a fee for their articles. I don't know what happens if the Brazilian newspaper/midia is from here (US)...

Offline Claudia.Hope

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 10:23:36 AM »
Quote from: Hanna;109
I agree with your point. All my family in Brazil got really defensive with me when I told about this story. I told them how I thought what happend to David G. was such an injustice and how Brazil did not comply with the Hague Convention. They all gave me cold shoulders and did not want to discuss the story any further. I am very upset and sad with their reaction. I thought I'd get their support and understanding, but no. They don't seem to understand this is not a 'football' match (soccer) but an international custody battle.

I agree with you, my family did the same. They told me to give up and get out of the story because Lins e Silva's family are very powerful, and to be careful because my last name in Rio is not difficult to find out in the yellow pages the address and Phone #, they were scared !
What kind of stuff could they do ? This is ridiculous...

Isabel

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 04:41:45 PM »
I can understand why they might be scared to go up against a powerful family that obviously has no problem twisting the law to serve its purposes, but like Edmund Burke once said "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing"...

Is sticking one's head in the sand and pretending this is not happening really the best solution? Is making Brazil look, in the eyes of the rest of the world, like a banana republic that does not follow the international agreements it signs, just to cater to some prominent family, really worth it?

Quote from: Claudia.Hope;121
I agree with you, my family did the same. They told me to give up and get out of the story because Lins e Silva's family are very powerful, and to be careful because my last name in Rio is not difficult to find out in the yellow pages the address and Phone #, they were scared !
What kind of stuff could they do ? This is ridiculous...