Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The latest from Brazil" article  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Grace

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: "The latest from Brazil" article
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
One fo the most corrupt politicians in the nation, from a very poor state. We were all waiting for this. The man who wrote the biased article "the boy named Sim". Good riddance!

Offline heatheram29

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 04:41:15 PM »
Quote from: sara;44786
Wasn't it Sarney that wrote the letter to the media saying David is a "Playboy"? I remember reading it on this web sight. Aunt Guta also was a big wig at the same oil company. The veils are dropping and the corruption and nepotism continues to display itself...all the way to Lula.

Yeah.. playboy, as in plays with his little boy Sean. Or he used to before his entire world was turned upside down.

Quote from: Grace;44787
One fo the most corrupt politicians in the nation, from a very poor state. We were all waiting for this. The man who wrote the biased article "the boy named Sim". Good riddance!

What's that Grace?

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
  • Twitter: @Capestro
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Quote from: sara;44786
Wasn't it Sarney that wrote the letter to the media saying David is a "Playboy"? I remember reading it on this web sight. Aunt Guta also was a big wig at the same oil company. The veils are dropping and the corruption and nepotism continues to display itself...all the way to Lula.

I believe this is the post you're talking about...
http://bringseanhome.org/forum/showpost.php?p=18753&postcount=4

Offline BrazilianForJustice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:31 PM »
Sarney's PMDB is the power structure that holds Brazil together. Lula desperately needs its support. As it disintegrates, so will Brazil.

It is my belief that child kidnapping is THE terminal symptom of the putrid Brazilian  system. By now all 3 "independent" powers are way into their processes of collapse. Next year's election should be final straw that breaks the camel's back. Fortunately, I am reasonably confident and hopeful that, as Brazil melts away, it will let the children go, as it needs focus on its own survival.

Below is another element of the end of days there. They are taking it on the press and trying to muzzle it.

How the Effort of Brazil's Senate Chief to Muzzle the Press Backfired
http://www.brazzil.com/component/content/article/207-august-2009/10229-how-the-effort-of-brazils-senate-chief-to-muzzle-the-press-backfired.html

Although the Brazilian constitution defends freedom of speech and Brazil has proclaimed itself a democratic nation, news released last Friday, July 31st, left many Brazilians wondering if their Constitution is worth the paper it's printed on.  The Supreme Court of Justice in the city of Brasília - Brazil's capital - has decided to censor reputable daily O Estado de S. Paulo and forbid the newspaper to publish any article regarding the current federal investigation on Senator José Sarney, the president of the Brazilian senate.
 Sarney - a former president of Brazil - has been accused of tax evasion, money misappropriation, nepotism, and illicit hiring of family members to high posts inside the government. His son, Fernando Sarney Filho, is also being accused in many scandals involving deals of his family business with state-run companies.

The allegations of corruption triggered an investigation led by the Federal Police and the effort was called Boi Barrica - a legendary creature of the folklore of Maranhão, home state of the Sarneys.

Chief judge Dácio Vieira, from the Federal District's Supreme Court, was responsible for the ruling against O Estado. It's been revealed, however, that Vieira used to be a juridical consultant for the Senate and still is a good friend of the Sarney family.

Pictures from June 10 show him at Sarney's side during a party to celebrate the wedding of Mayanna Maia, the daughter of Agaciel Maia, a Sarney's protégé who left the post of general director of the Senate in disgrace, charged with misappropriation.

Judge Vieira's act stipulates that O Estado will have to pay US$ 75,000 for every article that goes against his judicial decision. Fernando Sarney Filho, the man behind the lawsuit, was pushing for penalties in the amount of US$ 150,000.

Brazilian Press Association's president, Maurício Azevedo, condemned the Justice's ruling.  "The decision made by the Court of Justice is totally unconstitutional, according to the 2nd paragraph of article 220 of the Federal Constitution," protested Azevedo.

"The constitutional precept does not leave any room for doubts and it is unacceptable in any instance of the legal system," he added.

The president of the São Paulo branch of the Brazilian Bar Association, Luiz Flávio Borges D'Urso, has also heavily criticized the decision by the Supreme court: "Any restriction to the media's work can make the idea of censorship grow stronger, this is unacceptable in a democratic state," affirmed Luiz Flávio Borges in note to the press.

Many Brazilian congressmen believe that the decision taken by the Sarney family to try in court to muzzle O Estado is only harming the Senate chief's cause.

Said Pedro Simon, a respected senator from the PMDB (Party of Brazilian Democratic Movement), a party allied with the government: "The man from the democratic transition is now committing an act of dictatorship. He lost his last argument. This is terrible. President Sarney has to resign."

Even senator Eduardo Suplicy, from the ruling party PT (Workers' Party) accused the court decision of violating constitutional rights: "The Constitution guarantees freedom of press,  moreover in cases of dialogs that were taped with judicial authorization. The population has the right to be informed about dialogs that violate the ethics code."

The decision to censor newspapers is nothing new in Brazil. Censorship happened many times before in Brazil's history, more recently during Brazil's military dictatorship (1964-1985), when government agents would work inside newspapers pre-screening any article before its publication.

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
Scandal Puts Pressure on a Brazilian Leader to Step Down

BRASÍLIA — The leader of Brazil’s Senate is under heavy pressure to step down amid a nepotism and corruption scandal that threatens to hamstring the government of President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva during his final year in office.

But Mr. Sarney has been the subject of news reports here saying he abused his status as a senator by giving jobs and favors to friends and family members. The accusations include unduly allowing his grandson to benefit from government contracts, holding an illegal bank account outside of Brazil and allowing a foundation carrying his name to end up with roughly $250,000 in grant money from the state-run oil company, Petrobras.

The accusations against Mr. Sarney have embroiled the Senate in yet another pitched battle over the fate of its leadership. Two years ago, Renan Calheiros, a member of Mr. Sarney’s Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, gave up the post of Senate president after facing a disciplinary inquiry by the Senate Ethics Committee related to income tax fraud and the questionable purchase of a stake in a radio station.

The latest debacle comes at a difficult moment for Mr. da Silva, who has endured scandals in his own Workers’ Party that forced top officials to resign. Despite his high popularity personally, Mr. da Silva relies on an alliance with the Democratic Movement Party to form the government’s slim majority in the Senate.

The debacle could also complicate the Senate’s investigation into possible improprieties at the national oil company, an inquiry that could last up to 180 days. Mr. da Silva was hoping to keep the investigation under control through government allies on the investigative committee.  

In many ways, Mr. Sarney, who took over as the Senate president in February, is the last of a generation of politicians who operated under an older system of machine politics in which so-called colonels from powerful families like the Sarneys dispensed favors for loyalty, analysts say.

Some senators have aggressively defended Mr. Sarney. At a heated session on Monday, Fernando Collor de Mello, a former president who was forced to resign over influence-peddling but is now a senator, threatened to expose corruption involving other senators if they did not back down from criticizing Mr. Sarney.

Mr. da Silva has walked a tightrope in recent days, coming to the defense of Mr. Sarney and pressing senators in the Workers’ Party to back him, while distancing himself from any responsibility for Senate ethics.

I cropped these paragraphs from this SINGLE article......

Anyone else see a trend?

The whole damn government is crooked.....:burn:
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

Offline todez

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »
Quote from: jl2saint
Everyone in Brazil already knows this!  What they don't know is how to stop the corruption.  A new goverment, now controlled by Lula's PT party took over my city, and now the streets have potholes and public services have been cut back.  Why?  Because they are pocketing the money to make themselves rich.  Lula has done this himself and so has his son.  This is the Brazilian Political way.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:44:58 AM by tweinstein »

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »
Quote from: todez;44838
Everyone in Brazil already knows this! What they don't know is how to stop the corruption. A new goverment, now controlled by Lula's PT party took over my city, and now the streets have potholes and public services have been cut back. Why? Because they are pocketing the money to make themselves rich. Lula has done this himself and so has his son. This is the Brazilian Political way.

That was my point.....put in a more polite way.....lol

And this is why we NEED HR 2702. Because the only way that the Brazilian govt. does what it should is if they are forced.......
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
For a moment I was spooked JL. Didn't see, at first, that you were quoting someone. "The PT took over my city".

What?? They took over Gloucester, Va.??????:eek:

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 01:22:19 PM »
Quote from: BrazilianForJustice;44841
For a moment I was spooked JL. Didn't see, at first, that you were quoting someone. "The PT took over my city".

What?? They took over Gloucester, Va.??????:eek:

The "PT" wouldn't stand a chance in Gloucester......lol

Mostly comprised of watermen who WORK for a living and are used to protecting their industry and gear.......

The PT party would be run out on a rail or worse.....lol

Peter

JL

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »
Quote from: jl2saint;44835
(respectfully snipped)

I cropped these paragraphs from this SINGLE article......

Anyone else see a trend?

With eyes wide open - absolutely crooked, IMHO.

I can see it now...Lula riding in:eek: to take over Gloucester VA (I had to look up to see where it was).
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
Quote from: M.Capestro;44783
RioGringa tweeted this about an hour ago:

It's about time, NYT! Scandal Puts Pressure on a Brazilian Leader to Step Down http://tinyurl.com/nmvens (via @MediaAnalystNY)

Scandal Puts Pressure on a Brazilian Leader to Step Down

BRASÍLIA — The leader of Brazil’s Senate is under heavy pressure to step down amid a nepotism and corruption scandal that threatens to hamstring the government of President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva during his final year in office.

The Senate leader, José Sarney, is a former Brazilian president who both supported the military dictatorship and led the nation during its transition to civilian democracy. Now he is considered an important ally for Mr. da Silva, who has plans to pass contentious legislation affecting the oil industry and also pick a candidate to succeed him in next year’s presidential elections.(...)
Ex-President Sarney, who called David Goldman a "playboy" and "godless", is still there as president of the Senate. Even with all the evidence of corruption.

Brazilian Senator Concedes: In Congress We're All Crooks    
http://www.brazzilmag.com/content/view/11070/

Monday, 10 August 2009

Following months of claims of corruption practices in the Brazilian senate, senator Demóstenes Torres from Goiás state, during a rowdy congressional debate, admitted what the rest of the population of Brazil already knows: "We are but a bunch of crooks that have lost all credibility with our citizens."      Torres added that Brazilian senators are a "gang of characters" which had themselves elected with the only purpose of becoming rich forgetting public interest. "What's our image before public opinion? What's the Senate for, people ask."

The intervention of Senator Torres who belongs to the opposition conservative Social Democrats party followed a violent exchange of insults and opprobrious expressions between two of his peers which forced the canceling of the television screening in Congress.

Renan Calheiros from the Brazilian Democratic Movement Party, PMDB accused the opposition peer Tasso Jereissati of using Senate expenses to purchase fuel for his private jet, calling him "a bag of shit"

Jereissati reacted warning Calheiros "don't you dare point one of your dirty corrupt fingers at me."

Tension has been brewing in the Brazilian Senate since the Upper House president José Sarney, a former president and a most powerful figure in Brazilian politics, has been repeatedly called on to quit given the mounting evidence of corruption, graft, nepotism, influence peddling and appropriation of public funds.

However Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva can't let his main ally in the Senate fall, otherwise the job goes to an opposition senator. This would mean the loss of congressional agenda management, the beginning of a pending investigation into the state owned Petrobras oil corporation and even more important, could severely weaken the chances of Lula's appointed hopeful to succeed him in next year's presidential election.

In spite of all the claims and evidence, Lula once again in the last few days confirmed his support for Senator Sarney and the PMDB as his main Senate ally, and called on the ruling Workers Party members to ensure his permanence in the job.

However the situation is so tense that some members of the Workers' party rebelled and signed an open letter asking for the immediate ousting of Sarney.
Mercopress

Offline Bo1

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 04:46:30 PM »
I just wasted the last 45 minutes of my life watching TV Senado. Thought I would give everyone a good laugh by reporting that I tuned in just in time to see the ex-president of the republic, Fernando Collar, give a speech. Believe this or not, he compared the current campaign to remove Jose Sarney as president of the senate to the campaign that was waged against Jesus Christ and his resulting crucification!!! You can't make this stuff up!  These people have no shame. Não tem vergonha não!:rolleyes::lynchmob::shooter:

Offline Grace

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
Unbelievable!!! How could this guy come back to power! Only because he is senator from a state where people are almost illiterate. I have been away for 12 years and it's hard to believe a former president IMPEACHED BY CORRUPTION can come back to politics! There is NO shame on these individuals.

There is a campaign on Twitter that I am participating. it is called FORA SARNEY (Out Sarney!). One of most vocal people is Ana McLaren, from Sao Paulo, and she is supporting BSH.

Offline liesl78

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 06:08:30 PM »
Quote from: Bo1;45001
I just wasted the last 45 minutes of my life watching TV Senado. Thought I would give everyone a good laugh by reporting that I tuned in just in time to see the ex-president of the republic, Fernando Collar, give a speech. Believe this or not, he compared the current campaign to remove Jose Sarney as president of the senate to the campaign that was waged against Jesus Christ and his resulting crucification!!! You can't make this stuff up! These people have no shame. Não tem vergonha não!:rolleyes::lynchmob::shooter:

Seriously? I think these people are having a competition on "worse remarks ever".

I'd add the Tostes remark about Olga Benario to the list....
Liesl78
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Bo1

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »
Quote from: Grace;45002
Unbelievable!!! How could this guy come back to power!

That's exactly what I asked myself. How could people vote this guy back into politics? One would think he shouldn't be allowed back into brazilian politics. And you're right about Alagoas, I live close to there and know it well. The poverty (education level) is shocking.