Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ONGOING PROJECT: Int'l Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R.3240  (Read 63464 times)

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
  • Twitter: @Capestro
3420 was introduced with 7 co-sponsors (2702 had 0 at introduction). I agree. I would assume that the co-sponsors on both pieces of legislation might agree to co-sponsor the other, but believe that both bills are equally important. Yes, 3420 gives the President the authority to do what 2702 is requesting, but it's going to take time to get people and offices and policies in place after 3420 is approved. Approval of 2702 authorizes immediate action against Brazil.

Offline BrazilianForJustice

• Veteran Member
IMHO. It might be that some representatives might feel awkward about cosponsoring legislation that targets a specific country but have no problem with the more generic bill. Better having them signing at least one, rather than none.

Offline Herb Wife

• Veteran Member
    • http://www.herbwife.com
I haven't been commenting much lately but I have still been very pro-active for David and the other LBP. I think I am just too sensitive for a lot that goes on in between results.
 My efforts, which have been specific toward my congressman John Tierney (I still call others), seem to go nowhere. Despite calling e-mailing and faxing (only couple times...my fax stinks) I receive a letter saying Tierney will "keep my views in mind" ! What does that mean??? I called the local office and really let Helen the nice lady who answered "have it". I demanded he co-sponsor and I want an answer now!

I mentioned this resolution and was told Tierney sits on one of the committees for it. SOOOOO once again I ask for anyone, whether local or not, to call his office. If even one more person would demand his co-sponer -ship...i really feel that he would be compelled to take that step.

John Tierney   MA
202-225-8020 (washington #)
978-531-1669 ( Peabody #)
781-595-7357 (Lynn #)
http://www.house.gov/tierney

Thanks.... God Bless

Offline steve clark

I took a look at the proposed bill in its current state. It looks capable of the kind of pressure that would cause authorities in noncompliant countries to get that hollow feeling in their stomachs as the blood rushes from their faces.
How could I help to keep this proposed bill from dying in a subcommittee or being watered down? I'm no legislative expert, but I can talk to people firmly, passionately and reasonably on the phone (emphasis on all three) without coming across as a nut case.
Where is the bill right now? What would be the most strategic calls, other than my local congressman?
Healthcare reform seems to be the priority issue right now, but we certainly don't want this bill to die in subcommittees. I'm free to make some calls now but will have a lot of free time at the end of August until mid-September.
I'd like to assist in the effort to get this proposed bill through the subcommittees. How can I help? Please feel free to contact me.

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
As promised, attached please find a BSH handout / flyer:

Use alone as a handout or combine it with the links document for posting in coffee shops.

The thought behind the links document is that you cut each row separate from each other and then cut up the dotted lines between each "www.bringseanhome.org" to the top of the text only, so they stay attached. Staple several to the bottom of the flyer so people can tear off of link and carry it with them to reference when they get home.

If you catch any typos or have comments for future handouts, please PM me.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:22:40 PM by M.Capestro »

Offline tstravis

I took a look at the proposed bill in its current state. It looks capable of the kind of pressure that would cause authorities in noncompliant countries to get that hollow feeling in their stomachs as the blood rushes from their faces.
How could I help to keep this proposed bill from dying in a subcommittee or being watered down? I'm no legislative expert, but I can talk to people firmly, passionately and reasonably on the phone (emphasis on all three) without coming across as a nut case.
Where is the bill right now? What would be the most strategic calls, other than my local congressman?
Healthcare reform seems to be the priority issue right now, but we certainly don't want this bill to die in subcommittees. I'm free to make some calls now but will have a lot of free time at the end of August until mid-September.
I'd like to assist in the effort to get this proposed bill through the subcommittees. How can I help? Please feel free to contact me.

steve clark - here is a list to start on... also, we have all been calling/emailing the white house #... to what degree of success - who knows... other efforts are contacting media (contact Meet the Press today about SOS Clinton being on the show this weekend!)...and last but not least, spread the word - the more people who know about this and REFUSE to accept it, the better!

these are the main things i can think of

*JULY'09 HR2702*

Offline Sashia

• Veteran Member

Another 18 countries have signed agreements with Malta on child abduction, bringing the total to 56.
The additions include Albania, Bulgaria, the Ukraine and Thailand.

Malta signed the Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction at The Hague on the October 25, 1980 and has since then been building up the number of countries on its schedule – who must also be signatories of the convention and which are then added to the schedule by mutual agreement.

The Department for Social Welfare Standards (DSWS) explained the procedure: “Since the Convention enters into force between signatory countries solely upon the acceptance of accession, from time to time countries are added to the schedule so that if a case with one of them does crop up the central authorities would be able to utilise it to try and solve the case. Child abduction cases may arise between parents of the same nationality as well as parents of different nationalities,” it noted.

There are 5 child abduction cases between outgoing and incoming cases at the moment with various countries as well as 4 “exercise of access rights” cases.

http://www.di-ve.com/Default.aspx?ID=72&Action=1&NewsId=62506&newscategory=31

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
4 DAYS AND COUNTING!

This is our final week to reach out to our congressman before the August break.

Please make every effort to call, email, fax your representatives as well as...

Charles B. Rangel (D-NY) - Chairman
DC Phone 202-225-4365
Fax 202-225-0816

Ask for them to please co-sponsor H.R.3240 and H.R. 2702.

Let's make ourselves heard!

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
3 DAYS AND COUNTING!

Quote from: M.Capestro;43777
This is our final week to reach out to our congressman before the August break.

Please make every effort to call, email, fax your representatives as well as...

Charles B. Rangel (D-NY) - Chairman
DC Phone 202-225-4365
Fax 202-225-0816

Ask for them to please co-sponsor H.R.3240 and H.R. 2702.

Let's make ourselves heard!

Offline Herb Wife

• Veteran Member
    • http://www.herbwife.com
sorry...didnt know it would show so big !

I placed this ad in two local papers...they started running yesterday.Maybe it will helps to get more people locally to call and let congress know we are serious about bringing Sean home! I hope I got all the important info in ( I used flyer then added local congress names)...we'll see : )

• Veteran Member
Re: ONGOING PROJECT: Int'l Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R.3240
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »
The House Republicans are trying to rebound in the 2010 election by targeting 70 districts held by Democrats. Those targeted satisfy at least one of these requirements: they won less than 55% of the vote last year or they represent a district carried by John McCain.

Rep. Massa is in their target list because of the 55% thing. Rep. Holt is not because he won by a higher margin. However, Holt is being targeted by Mr. Halfacre, who says also that he (Holt) should have done what Chris Smith did. (http://bringseanhome.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1787)

I think we should also target these disputed seats by educating BOTH sides of those races, so that this issue becomes part of those races and they compete to outdo each other in who favors most the bills that we favor.

ALABAMA
  Rep. Bobby Bright, AL-02
  Rep. Parker Griffith, AL-05
  ARKANSAS
  Rep. Marion Berry, AR-01
Rep. Vic Snyder, AR-02
  Rep. Mike Ross, AR-04
  ARIZONA
  Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick, AZ-01
  Rep. Harry Mitchell, AZ-05
  CALIFORNIA
  Rep. Jerry McNerney, CA-11
  Rep. Lorraine Sanchez, CA-47
  COLORADO
  Rep. Betsy Markey, CO-04
  CONNECTICUT
  Rep. Jim Himes, CT-04
  FLORIDA
  Rep. Alan Grayson, FL-08
  Rep. Ron Klein, FL-22
  Rep. Suzanne Kosmas, FL-24
  GEORGIA
  Rep. John Barrow, GA-12
  HAWAII
  Rep. Neil Abercrombie, HI-01
  IOWA
  Rep. Leonard Boswell, IA-03
  IDAHO
  Rep. Walt Minnick, ID-01
  ILLINOIS
  Rep. Debbie Halvorson, IL-11
  Rep. Bill Foster, IL-14
  INDIANA
  Rep. Brad Ellsworth, IN-08
  Rep. Baron Hill, IN-09
  KANSAS
  Rep. Dennis Moore, KS-03
  KENTUCKY
  Rep. Ben Chandler, KY-06
  LOUISIANA
  Rep. Charlie Melancon, LA-03
  MARYLAND
  Rep. Frank Kratovil, MD-01
  MICHIGAN
  Rep. Mark Schauer, MI-07
  Rep. Gary Peters, MI-09
  MISSOURI
  Rep. Ike Skelton, MO-04
  MISSISSIPPI
  Rep. Travis Childers, MS-01
  NORTH CAROLINA
  Rep. Larry Kissell, NC-08
  NORTH DAKOTA
  Rep. Earl Pomeroy, ND-At Large
  NEW HAMPSHIRE
  Rep. Carol Shea-Porter, NH-01
  Rep. Paul Hodes, NH-02
  NEW JERSEY
  Rep. John Adler, NJ-03
  NEW MEXICO
  Rep. Martin Heinrich, NM-01
  Rep. Harry Teague, NM-02
  NEVADA
  Rep. Dina Titus, NV-03
  NEW YORK
  Rep. Tim Bishop, NY-01
  Rep. Mike McMahon, NY-13
  Rep. John Hall, NY-19
  Rep. Scott Murphy, NY-20
  Rep. Mike Arcuri, NY-24
  Rep. Dan Maffei, NY-25
  Rep. Eric Massa, NY-29
  OHIO
  Rep. Steve Driehaus, OH-01
  Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy, OH-15
  Rep. John Boccieri, OH-16
  Rep. Zack Space, OH-18
  OKLAHOMA
  Rep. Dan Boren, OK-02
  OREGON
  Rep. David Wu, OR-01
  Rep. Peter DeFazio, OR-04
  Rep. Kurt Schrader, OR-05
  PENNSYLVANIA
  Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper, PA-03
  Rep. Jason Altmire, PA-04
  Rep. Joe Sestak, PA-07
  Rep. Chris Carney, PA-10
  Rep. Paul Kanjorski, PA-11
  Rep. John Murtha, PA-12
  SOUTH DAKOTA
  Rep. Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin, SD-At large
  TEXAS
  Rep. Chet Edwards, TX-17
  UTAH
  Rep. Jim Matheson, UT-02
  VIRGINA
  Rep. Glenn Nye, VA-02
  Rep. Tom Perriello, VA-05
  Rep. Rick Boucher, VA-09
  Rep. Gerry Connolly, VA-11
  WISCONSIN
  Rep. Ron Kind, WI-03
  Rep. Dave Obey, WI-07
  Rep. Steve Kagen, WI-08
  WEST VIRGINIA
  Rep. Allen Mollahan, WV-01

-
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:22:41 AM by BrazilianForJustice »

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »
Everyone needs to remember to not turn anything they do into a party issue.....We need both Rep and Dem's to support our efforts.......
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 11:43:19 AM »
Do we have a list of who is sponsoring?  I have not heard back from my Congressman and have been calling all the time.

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 11:55:39 AM »
Quote from: gail;44453
Do we have a list of who is sponsoring?  I have not heard back from my Congressman and have been calling all the time.
Still the original 7...

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HR03240:@@@P

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »
Thank you.