Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ONGOING PROJECT: Int'l Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R.3240  (Read 63500 times)

Offline Genenut

Re: ONGOING PROJECT: Int'l Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R.3240
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
see my response in the other thread about the 2 NH districts ...
http://bringseanhome.org/forum/showthread.php?p=44460#post44460

Offline BrazilianForJustice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
This is the original email:

Sent: 7/31/2009 5:50:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: TARGET DISTRICTS FOR 2010

Hi friends, Below you will find a list of 70 districts that the NRCC is targeting this cycle. As Chairman Sessions stated earlier this week at a pen and pad briefing, "There are people proactively coming to us. We are doing far less recruiting and more catching." With that said we have the opportunity to focus on many more districts and some unusual districts that haven’t been targeted in a long time. We are very excited about our prospects in 2010 and look forward to having your support! If you have questions about a particular district please shoot me a note.

Have a great weekend!

AL-02   Rep. Bobby Bright                  NM-01   Rep. Martin Heinrich
AL-05   Rep. Parker Griffith                NM-02   Rep. Harry Teague
AR-01   Rep. Marion Berry                 NV-03   Rep. Dina Titus
AR-02   Rep. Vic Snyder                    NY-01   Rep. Tim Bishop
AR-04   Rep. Mike Ross                      NY-13   Rep. Mike McMahon
AZ-01   Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick             NY-19   Rep. John Hall
AZ-05   Rep. Harry Mitchell               NY-20   Scott Murphy
CA-11   Rep. Jerry McNerney              NY-24   Rep. Mike Arcuri
CA-47   Rep. Sanchez, Lo.                  NY-25   Rep. Dan Maffei
CO-04   Rep. Betsy Markey                NY-29   Rep. Eric Massa
CT-04   Rep. Jim Himes                  OH-01   Rep. Steve Driehaus
FL-08   Rep. Alan Grayson              OH-15   Rep. Mary Jo Kilroy
FL-22   Rep. Ron Klein                    OH-16   Rep. John Boccieri
FL-24   Rep. Suzanne Kosmas     OH-18   Rep. Zack Space
GA-12   Rep. John Barrow                OK-02   Rep. Dan Boren
HI-01   Rep. Abercrombie               OR-01   Rep. David Wu
IA-03   Rep. Leonard Boswell           OR-04   Rep. Peter DeFazio
ID-01   Rep. Walt Minnick                   OR-05   Rep. Kurt Schrader
IL-11   Rep. Debbie Halvorson      PA-03   Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper
IL-14   Rep. Bill Foster                    PA-04   Rep. Jason Altmire
IN-08   Rep. Brad Ellsworth             PA-07   Rep. Joe Sestak
IN-09   Rep. Baron Hill                      PA-10   Rep. Chris Carney
KS-03   Rep. Dennis Moore            PA-11   Rep. Paul Kanjorski
KY-06   Rep. Ben Chandler          PA-12   Rep. Jack Murtha
LA-03   Rep. Charlie Melancon   SD-AL   Rep. Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin
MD-01   Rep. Frank Kratovil            TX-17   Rep. Chet Ewards
MI-07   Rep. Mark Schauer              UT-02   Rep. Jim Matheson
MI-09   Rep. Gary Peters                 VA-02   Rep. Glenn Nye
MO-04   Rep. Ike Skelton               VA-05   Rep. Tom Perriello
MS-01   Rep. Travis Childers         VA-09   Rep. Rick Boucher
NC-08   Rep. Larry Kissell             VA-11   Rep. Gerry Connolly  
ND-AL   Rep. Earl Pomeroy          WI-03   Rep. Ron Kind
NH-01   Shea-Porter                       WI-07   Rep. Dave Obey
NH-02   Rep. Paul Hodes          WI-08   Rep. Steve Kagen
NJ-03   Rep. John Adler               WV-01   Rep. Alan Mollahan

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 10:08:06 PM »
Below is the "Dear Colleague" letter that was sent from Congressman Smith to all 434 of his colleagues in the House of Representatives. No excuses, they all received it.

Please Support the International Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009

Sent By: allison.hollabaugh@mail.house.gov
Bill: H.R. 3240
Date: 7/29/2009

Co-Sponsors: Mr. Frank Wolf, Mr. Ted Poe, Mr. Jeff Fortenberry, Mr. Bob Inglis, Mr. Alan Mollohan,

Ms. Loretta Sanchez, Mr. James Sensenbrenner, Mr. Jim Moran, Mr. John Duncan

Dear Colleague,

Over the last six months I have heard from left behind parents all over the country. They tell me that our current system of addressing international spousal child abduction is not functioning as it should be and that it is not meeting their needs as left behind parents.

More than 1,900 American parents wait, and wait, and wait, for their abducted child to be returned to them. Over 2,800 American children are being held in foreign countries against the wishes of their American parent. Most of these cases have been dragging on for years—years of loving relationships and happy memories that these parents will never get back even if they do see their child(ren) again someday.

Abducted children often loose their relationship with their mom or their dad, half of their identity and half of their culture. They are at risk of serious emotional and psychological problems and have been found to experience anxiety, eating problems, nightmares, mood swings, sleep disturbances, aggressive behavior, resentment, guilt and fearfulness. As adults, they may struggle with identity issues, their own personal relationships and parenting.

International child abduction violates the human rights of the left behind parent and the human rights of the child to know both parents. Sadly, international child abductions are on the increase—in the last three years, reported international child abductions increased 60 percent.

The time for words and diplomacy alone has passed. On July 16, 2009, I introduced H.R. 3240, The International Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3240ih.txt.pdf).

H.R. 3240 empowers the United States to more aggressively pursue the resolution of abduction cases. Under this new law, when a country has shown a pattern of non-cooperation in resolving child abduction cases, the President will be able to respond decisively with a range of penalties identical to those enacted in 1998 as part of the International Religious Freedom Act (with the addition of a statement on non-reciprocity under the Hague Convention).

H.R. 3240 will also raise the profile of international abduction with the position of Ambassador at Large for International Child Abduction to advise the Secretary of State. The Ambassador will head the office charged with helping left behind parents secure the return of their children.

H.R. 3240 authorizes much needed resources for this office and expands its ability to collect detailed information on abductions—providing needed tools to policy makers and judges.

Our current system is not doing justice for left behind parents or for children whisked away from their mom or dad. Please join me in supporting the International Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 and end the nightmare of abduction.

Allison Hollabaugh (Allison.Hollabaugh@mail.house.gov) in my office is available to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

CHRISTOPHER H. SMITH

Member of Congress
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:46:07 AM by LukieD »

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »
Below is a section by section of HR 3240 provided by Rep Smith's office.

H.R. 3240 International Child Abduction Protection Act

Section 101: Establishes the position of Ambassador at Large for International Child Abductions and the Office on International Child Abductions.

Section 102: Requires an Annual Report from the Office on International Child Abductions. This report will include the Hague Compliance Report, similar reporting on abductions to countries with which the United States has memorandum of understanding or no agreements on a resolution process, and other information missing from the current report. The report will also discuss thematic issues, such as the training of U.S. judges in the adjudication of Hague Convention cases, best practices for reducing the use of airlines in international child abduction, and issues of international child abduction that affect the U.S. armed services in particular.

Section 201: Requires specific presidential action in response to any country designated by the President as a country with a pattern of non-cooperation.

Section 202: Requires consultations with foreign governments and left-behind parents in the United States and other interested parties before the imposition of sanctions or other measures.

Section 203: Requires a report to Congress on specific presidential actions taken in response to countries with patterns of non-cooperation.

Section 204: Lays out a variety of actions the President may employ in response to a country demonstrating a pattern of non-cooperation.

Section 205: Allows the President to not apply or maintain any presidential action that compromises procurement of defense articles.

Section 206: Allows for presidential waiver of actions where the country has resolved the unresolved cases and taken steps to prevent a recurrence of unresolved cases, or where waiver would further the goals of the Act.

Section 207: Requires presidential determinations and actions to be published in the federal register.

Section 208: Describes the termination of presidential actions.

Section 209: Precludes judicial review of any presidential determination under the Act.

Section 210: Amends the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961 to include a pattern of non-cooperation and the counsel of the Ambassador at Large for International Child Abduction in determinations of prohibition on economic assistance and on military assistance.

Section 211: Amends the International Financial Institutions Act to include a pattern of non-cooperation in determinations of whether the country engages in a pattern of gross violations of internationally recognized human rights.

Section 212: Amends the Generalized System of Preferences to exclude from eligibility countries that engage in patterns of non-cooperation.

Section 301: Amends the restriction for the issuance of passports for children under age 14 to allow for issuance passports in limited situations involving joint custody abroad.

Section 302: Authorizes appropriation of such sums as may be necessary 2010-2013.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:39:08 AM by LukieD »

Offline kmoor88

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »
Thank You Lukie D for the last 2 posts.

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »
I was just reading the bill again more thoroughly, and I have this important question:

In Section 2 Findings, Sense of Congress, Purpose:

"In 2008, the Central Authority for the United States responded to cases involving 776 children abducted from the United States to countries with which the United States enjoys reciprocal obligations under the Hague Convention, but during that same time period only 248 children were returned from Hague Convention countries to the United States. Also in 2008, the United States Central Authority reported 344 newly filed Hague Convention applications involving 484 children wrongly removed to or retained in the ffice:smarttags" />United States. Two hundred ten children were returned under the Convention to their country of habitual residence."

Just doing a little math, 32% of the 776 new cases were returned to the US. In the same time-frame, the U.S. only returned 43% of the cases filed. Better, but not stellar. So, what is our "Hague Compliance Rating"?

This may have been addressed earlier in this or other threads, but I have been way too busy to be on BSH much lately. Any opinions, observations, slap me upside the heads, all welcome.
Pass HR 3240
Please visit links to HR 3240.  We need this bill passed now for the 2,800 other abducted American Children!

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
Quote from: Caldwell;45733
Just doing a little math, 32% of the 776 new cases were returned to the US. In the same time-frame, the U.S. only returned 43% of the cases filed. Better, but not stellar. So, what is our "Hague Compliance Rating"?
This was discussed in March, but removed from the forums as it was decided that it did not support our efforts to get children back. It's somewhat hard to say exactly because you're always comparing the number of abductions in one year from the number of returns in another. In other words, you're comparing apples with oranges.

As the rate of abductions has grown dramatically recently, it is safe to say that the true return rate FROM the U.S. is higher than 43%. The State Department will claim that it is somewhere around 90%.  One researcher from England determined it to be around 50%. I guess the true number is somewhere in between.

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »
Quote from: tweinstein;45735
This was discussed in March, but removed from the forums as it was decided that it did not support our efforts to get children back. It's somewhat hard to say exactly because you're always comparing the number of abductions in one year from the number of returns in another. In other words, you're comparing apples with oranges.

As the rate of abductions has grown dramatically recently, it is safe to say that the true return rate FROM the U.S. is higher than 43%. The State Department will claim that it is somewhere around 90%.  One researcher from England determined it to be around 50%. I guess the true number is somewhere in between.

Not sure why such a discussion would not support our efforts, but, in any case, in the US the major factor that prevents many parents from getting their children back is purely money to pay attorneys.  US attorneys, especially good ones but even poor ones, charge from 200-500 per hour.  Can you imagine a left behind father earning the average yearly wage of someone in Hondouras paying that?  With their yearly earnings they could maybe afford to pay their US attorney to work for half a normal work week.  

I'm sure the US return rate is not 90%.  That would be about as high as I would ever expect it or want it to possibly be though.  Not every application for return should be honored.  There are good reasons to deny some applications and some are not well founded.  Left behind mothers generally find it easier to find pro-bono attorneys in the US and abducting mothers coming to the US generally don't have a hard time finding a women's rights group that will foot their bill if they'll claim they were fleeing abuse (and some of them were).
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
Quote from: carlos;45744
I'm sure the US return rate is not 90%. That would be about as high as I would ever expect it or want it to possibly be though.

My guess is that there have been substantial returns, and there are probably many other cases which are not so cut and dry and require some research.....thus a delay ( A U.S. delay, not a Brazilian delay ).........

But either way, it's better than 0% like some countries we know of.......
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:26:08 AM by tweinstein »
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »
It would be really good if we could add to this bill making expenses incurred by LBP's in seeking their children's return tax-deductible...
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline greg4sean

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2009, 11:48:41 PM »
I got this response, below, from my congresswoman to my letters, emails, and phone calls about HR 2702 and HR 3240, I never mentioned H Res 125! :mad2:

If you are in my district we really need to push her. I have been trying to get an appointment with her during the break and will keep trying when she is in town and if I can get one in Washington I will fly up to talk with her. If anyone has any ideas on how to get a better response then this please let me know.

“Thank you for contacting me about the case of Sean Goldman and H. Res. 125. I appreciated hearing your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, on March 4, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton indicated that she supports efforts to allow David Goldman to regain custody of his son, Sean, in the United States. Clinton revealed that she has "raise[d the issue] at the highest levels of the Brazilian government." I support Secretary Clinton's efforts, and I hope that Brazil will allow Sean Goldman to return home to his father.

H. Res. 125 calls on the Brazilian government to abide by the Hague Convention to facilitate and support federal judicial proceedings related to the return of Sean Goldman to his father. You will be pleased to know that this resolution passed the House with my support on March 11.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed on the issues that are important to you. For more information on my work in Congress, or to sign up to receive my e-newsletter, please feel free to visit the 12th District's website at http://kaygranger.house.gov.
Sincerely,

Kay Granger
Member of Congress"
As Sean said to David: "Maximum Force"

Isaac Savoie: “The Force is in you Daddy!”

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
  • Twitter: @Capestro
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Congress is back in session...

Pick up those phones, folks and let's be heard folks!

Please refer to LukieD's "Dear Colleague" posts as a refresher...
http://bringseanhome.org/forum/showpost.php?p=45394&postcount=33
http://bringseanhome.org/forum/showpost.php?p=45396&postcount=34

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
Calling out Rep. Dan Maffei (NY):  I have officially been bumped downhill to a legislative aide (who I have yet to converse or correspond with), who I think is a recent college grad. Great. I went from a personal meeting with Maffei and his District Director, to emails with his Deputy Chief of Staff/Legislation Director, and she has now handed me off to junior.  Nice work, Mr. Maffei, too busy with the healthcare deal to pay any more attention? If anyone from your office is scanning these forums, get with it!!  I'll meet with, correspond with, this underling and let you all know how fruitful the dialogue is. :mad2:
Pass HR 3240
Please visit links to HR 3240.  We need this bill passed now for the 2,800 other abducted American Children!

Offline Audax

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 11:25:47 PM »
Quote from: greg4sean;46193
I got this response, below, from my congresswoman to my letters, emails, and phone calls about HR 2702 and HR 3240, I never mentioned H Res 125! :mad2:

If you are in my district we really need to push her. I have been trying to get an appointment with her during the break and will keep trying when she is in town and if I can get one in Washington I will fly up to talk with her. If anyone has any ideas on how to get a better response then this please let me know.

“Thank you for contacting me about the case of Sean Goldman and H. Res. 125. I appreciated hearing your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, on March 4, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton indicated that she supports efforts to allow David Goldman to regain custody of his son, Sean, in the United States. Clinton revealed that she has "raise[d the issue] at the highest levels of the Brazilian government." I support Secretary Clinton's efforts, and I hope that Brazil will allow Sean Goldman to return home to his father.

H. Res. 125 calls on the Brazilian government to abide by the Hague Convention to facilitate and support federal judicial proceedings related to the return of Sean Goldman to his father. You will be pleased to know that this resolution passed the House with my support on March 11.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed on the issues that are important to you. For more information on my work in Congress, or to sign up to receive my e-newsletter, please feel free to visit the 12th District's website at http://kaygranger.house.gov.
Sincerely,

Kay Granger
Member of Congress"

Anyone from Tarrant county, TX here??? We need to follow up on this so-called response. Who voted this careless person into office and pays for her? WE do. Unfortunately I live in NJ and don't have e-mail access to her. Please. Let's call her out on her behavior!

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
Quote from: Caldwell;46338
Calling out Rep. Dan Maffei (NY):  I have officially been bumped downhill to a legislative aide (who I have yet to converse or correspond with), who I think is a recent college grad. Great. I went from a personal meeting with Maffei and his District Director, to emails with his Deputy Chief of Staff/Legislation Director, and she has now handed me off to junior.  Nice work, Mr. Maffei, too busy with the healthcare deal to pay any more attention? If anyone from your office is scanning these forums, get with it!!  I'll meet with, correspond with, this underling and let you all know how fruitful the dialogue is. :mad2:

I am THRILLED to announce the following:

Rep Dan Maffei (NY 25) just emailed to say he is signing on as co-sponsor of 2702, 3240, AND 2737.  Woo-hoo!! One lobbyist, no budget, persistence, three bills co-sponsored. You can do it, too. Keep calling and writing. I know it is tougher now that they are back in DC, but keep it coming. FYI, Maffei is a Democrat, so this builds bi-partisanship for these bills (which are, of course, as non-partisan as they get).
Pass HR 3240