Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ONGOING PROJECT: Int'l Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R.3240  (Read 63467 times)

Offline phillyone

• Veteran Member
Re: ONGOING PROJECT: Int'l Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009 - H.R.3240
« Reply #300 on: February 22, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »

[/quote]

That's exactly right, lovellboys. The bill will have to be re-introduced in the new Congress and fortunately, that is exactly what Congressman Smith is planning to do. The co-sponsors will have to sign on again but there is no reason that those still in Congress who co-sponsored it last time won't co-sponsor it again. While some co-sponsors lost their elections, new members will be encouraged to sign on also to replace them. And regardless of your politics, a Republican-controlled House of Representatives will give us a much better chance of seeing this bill passed in the House, which is encouraging.

[/quote]

LukieD.. do we know when Congressman Smith is planning to re-introduce this bill so we can start working on getting this bill passed?

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #301 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
LukieD.. do we know when Congressman Smith is planning to re-introduce this bill so we can start working on getting this bill passed?

I don't but we'll find out soon, hopefully.

Offline Trevor Richardson

• Left Behind Parent
    • Bring Andrew Home
« Reply #302 on: February 23, 2011, 01:13:10 AM »
That is great to hear. 

I live in California and House Rep. Davis who represents me wants to get involved, but I am not sure what to tell her.  Any advice?  I also have friends and family around the country who want to get involved, I just do not know what to tell them.  Do we need to wait for Rep Smith?
Trevor A. Richardson

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #303 on: April 06, 2011, 09:14:10 PM »
That is great to hear.  

I live in California and House Rep. Davis who represents me wants to get involved, but I am not sure what to tell her.  Any advice?  I also have friends and family around the country who want to get involved, I just do not know what to tell them.  Do we need to wait for Rep Smith?

Trevor,
I would ask Rep. Davis to reach out to Chris Smith's office to see how they can be helpful. Have them ask for Allison Hollabaugh, Foreign Affairs Counsel for Rep. Smith (202 225-3765).

As for friends and family, tell them to hold off until the bill is re-introduced which we expect should happen in late April or early May. After that, they can start calling their Congressional reps asking them to co-sponsor it. We'll post more info here when it becomes available.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:10:56 AM by M.Capestro »

Offline pam.in.ny

« Reply #304 on: April 07, 2011, 07:28:39 AM »
 :yeahthat
As for friends and family, tell them to hold off until the bill is re-introduced which we expect should happen in late April or early May. After that, they can start calling their Congressional reps asking them to co-sponsor it. We'll post more info here when it becomes available.

That is wonderful news. We've been hoping H.R. 3240 would be reintroduced. Can't wait to get new marching
orders. I'm ready and I know many others are as well. :)

Offline kmoor88

« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »
I am ready to help again on that very important project! 

Offline liesl78

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
Please count me in! Let us know when the bill is being reintroduced so we can start making phone calls/sending letters.
Liesl78
BringSeanHome.org

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
Please count me in! Let us know when the bill is being reintroduced so we can start making phone calls/sending letters.

And here my rep probably thought he had heard the last from me......

Offline KarlHindle

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
I'm in -Congressman Forbes' (R-VA) assistant is a friend of mine, I'll snag him this week.
Emily's Dad - Karl Hindle
karl4work@gmail.com
http://emilyrosehindle.blogspot.com
‘Who gives a damn about the credit?’ Do what is right and the chips fall into place.” Congressman Chris Smith

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member

Although I live in WA state, I'm a registered voter in Florida.  We have a new Congressman :biggrin who is much more approachable and willing to help, it seems.  He's on Facebook and has responded to my inquiries about other things. 

So, with that said, when can we begin contacting our representatives about 3240? 
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline TomD

• Global Moderator
Congressman Christopher Smith has just re-introduced this bill as HR1940.  For those whose House Representative was a sponsor of HR3240 in the 111th Congress, it's very easy to send a request to co-sponsor HR1940 in the current 112th congressional session.
Go to Open Congress  http://www.opencongress.org/
Search on HR1940 and click on the Title of the bill, then in Right sidebar click on Write your Representative.
I made the following request:
   Dear Congressman xxxxxxx, You were a co-sponsor of HR3240 in the last congressional session. So I am appealing to you to be one of the first to co-sponsor the same bill just introduced into the current session as HR1940. Please do not delay. This bill deserves your support.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke