From Facebook: Liam Recovered in Rome!/Placed in Custody of the Maternal Uncle?
To members of Save Liam McCarty (Formerly SaveLiam.org) Michael L. LandsmanJanuary 29 at 8:31pm Reply
Friday, January 29, 2010, 9:30 p.m. EST
1. This morning the Juvenile Court of Rome rendered a decision granting physical custody of Liam McCarty to Gianluca Antonelli following a hearing in Rome yesterday afternoon.
2. According to the Italian wire service, shortly thereafter Liam McCarty was left at the Salario Parioli police station in central Rome by an anonymous person, who then left the scene. Liam entered the police station and asked to call Antonella Tomassini, attorney for the mother, Manuela Antonelli. We do not know where Liam has been since November 19 or who delivered him to the police station. Gianluca Antonelli retrieved Liam from the police station. Liam is now in his uncle's custody
3. As of today, Michael McCarty still remains stripped of any parental rights in Italy, despite having been granted sole physical and legal custody by the New York Family court. Until we are able to obtain a copy of the latest Rome court order, the specific terms of contact between Liam and his father, or between Liam and the rest of the Antonelli family remain unclear.
4. Manuela Antonelli remains in custody in a Roman prison. Her attorneys vow to appeal the arrest, which they have strangely labeled in the Italian press an "illegal ambush of American justice" and "insane arrogance of the American courts."
5. We are enormously relieved that Liam has been located and appears to be safe. However, we remain troubled by the court's decision to place Liam with the same family that has enabled Antonelli to abduct, then re-abduct Liam in direct violation of US and Italian court orders, and whom even the Italian courts by now have recognized as having caused severe psychological trauma to Liam. We are also troubled by the apparent continuing refusal to recognize the US court's decision to grant custody to Liam's father, Michael McCarty.
6. We need your help to continue our struggle to help Liam be reunited with his loving father.
7. Please invite your friends and collegues to join the facebook group.
Thank you for your support.