Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: STF President decision expected 12/21: 5pm UPDATE DECISION NOW EXPECTED TUESDAY  (Read 131608 times)

JonathanR

is there a chance of this, since david was granted the emergency appeal?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:17:49 PM by M.Capestro »

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
Re: Possibility Sean will be returning next week??
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:28:05 PM »
That's what we're all hoping for, but right now it is premature. It looks as if one Supreme Court justice (not sure if it's the President of the Court or the case judge) has the ability to reverse Marco Aurélio's stay order and re-instate the 48-hour return window. There would then be other avenues of appeal available, so anything is possible. But to answer your question directly, yes, it's possible. This one judge probably feels the weight of the world on his shoulders given the political pressure coming from the highest levels of the US and Brazilian governments.

Offline Sandra

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
Twitter STF is back.
Caso Goldman: com início do recesso, min Gilmar Mendes – de plantão – decidirá nesta segunda (21) sobre Mandados de Segurança.

Min. Gilmar Mendes will take a decision on Monday!

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 05:57:12 PM »
Quote from: LukieD;53087
That's what we're all hoping for, but right now it is premature. It looks as if one Supreme Court justice (not sure if it's the President of the Court or the case judge) has the ability to reverse Marco Aurélio's stay order and re-instate the 48-hour return window. There would then be other avenues of appeal available, so anything is possible. But to answer your question directly, yes, it's possible. This one judge probably feels the weight of the world on his shoulders given the political pressure coming from the highest levels of the US and Brazilian governments.
There may be a lot of pressure. But, please, it is not like he is being asked to decide if his first or second born child is to be sacrificed to the Gods.  He is being asked to do the right thing, the righteous, just, morally exclusive thing: return a son to his father.  David has been on tape making the very basic plea: "It's not that difficult", and it appears that millions upon millions agree.
Pass HR 3240
Please visit links to HR 3240.  We need this bill passed now for the 2,800 other abducted American Children!

Offline Audax

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »
Quote from: Sandra;53095
Twitter STF is back.
Caso Goldman: com início do recesso, min Gilmar Mendes – de plantão – decidirá nesta segunda (21) sobre Mandados de Segurança.

OMG! I'm shaking again!!!

Offline chopchop

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »
Twitter STF is back.

Please Mr. Mendes be a hero for the Brazilian people and end this nightmare.  Tonight I'm going to pray like I've never prayed before...

JonathanR

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »
Quote from: LukieD;53087

God i hope so! who knows what obama and clinton will say too in the next couple days...

Offline Sashia

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
Quote from: JonathanR;53101
God i hope so! who knows what obama and clinton will say too in the next couple days...

eh' 48 hours are long up. I can't believe they will keep giving them 48 more hours to find ways to torture Sean. If Silvana really moved, does anyone really know where Sean is? That woman has bats in her belfry. She is truly capable of anything, and I believe she has truly gone over the edge.
BTW...someone posted here a request for research on the trade bill, but I can't find the post. So far this is the last publication I can find mentioning it.

December 7, 2009
House to Consider Extending GSP & ATPDEA This Week

According to the weekly schedule posted on the House leadership’s website, the chamber will consider legislation to temporarily extend the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) and the Andean Trade Preference Act/Andean Trade Promotion and Drug Eradication Act (ATPA/ATPDEA) beyond their December 31, 2009 expiration dates this week.

The extension bill is expected to be introduced by House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel (D-NY) early this week and is expected to provide for a 1 year extension. However, as of late last week, the House and Senate had not yet reached an agreement on the length of the extension, but their leaders had been discussing an extension of anywhere between 6 to 24 months.
Although Rangel’s bill is expected to pass the House, it is not certain if the Senate will take up the same bill or introduce their own legislation to extend the programs.
More information on GSP/ATPDEA renewal will be posted to www.barnesrichardson.com as it becomes available.

I will continue to research at House and Senate sites and see what I can find.

Offline Rio Gringa

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
Because of the political pressure, there seems to be a small possibility that this judge could issue Sean's immediate return to the US, but from what I understand, the family can still appeal the TRF-2 decision to the STJ. But since the emergency decision is being made in the STF, which is the highest court, maybe there's some way to prevent this.

Offline lisacallenwood

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
I can't even begin to imagine what David and his family have been through; when I read this initially my heart jumped. Then I realized how many times they've been in this position of possiblity and the heartache over the shennanigans that have followed.

All we can do is pray for honesty and wisdom for the brazilian officials in charge of this now.

Offline Sashia

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 06:30:05 PM »
Feel free to move this post if some other thread is better.

Some info on GSP ATPA/ATPDEA==

The ATPA is also referred to as the ATPA/ATPDEA. The Andean Trade Promotion and Drug Eradication Act (ATPDEA) renewed and expanded the ATPA, which had expired in 2001. ATPDEA provides Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru duty-free access to the U.S. market for any product not specifically excluded and as long as the President maintains each country's eligibility.

Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, "Obama Administration Completes 2008 Annual Review of the Generalized System of Preferences," June 2009, at http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/press-releases/2009/june/obama-administration-completes-2008-annual-review-gen (December 10, 2009).

U.S. Trade Representative, "Fourth Report to the Congress on the Operation of the Andean Trade Preference Act as Amended," April 30, 2009, at http://www.ustr.gov/sites/default/files/USTR%202009%20ATPA%20Report%20Final.pdf (December 11, 2009). Values are for ATPA/ATPDEA trade.

Press release, "To Provide for Duty-Free Treatment Under the Earned Import Allowance Program, and for Other Purposes," the White House, November 26, 2008, at http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/
releases/2008/11/20081126-8.html
(December 10, 2009). Bolivia remains suspended from receiving of ATPA/ATPDEA benefits at this time.

U.S. Chamber of Commerce, "Estimated Impacts of the U.S. Generalized System of Preferences to U.S. Industry and Consumers," October 2006, at http://www.uschamber.com/publications/reports/0610gsp.htm (December 10, 2009).

Gotta go, if I don't do wash,, nothing to wear to work and school tomorrow.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »
Quote from: Rio Gringa;53104
Because of the political pressure, there seems to be a small possibility that this judge could issue Sean's immediate return to the US, but from what I understand, the family can still appeal the TRF-2 decision to the STJ. But since the emergency decision is being made in the STF, which is the highest court, maybe there's some way to prevent this.

RG, I think that is what Tunevsk was implying in an earlier post but I'd like him, or one of the other resident Brazilian legal experts, to clarify that point.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »

From what others have said, we have a better shot with Gilmar Mendes than Cezar Peluso. Mendes is the STF President and already rejected a similar habeas corpus petition from Silvana in July.

Offline janelr

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »
Please! Please! Please! We need Sean and David on that plane and the wheels up!!!!!!!

Never doubt that a group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »
there is a big chance sean will be back sometime next week. Acording to G1 website, Gilmar Mendes the Supreme Court president, will decide it tomorrow... just remember that he denied Silvana´s Habeas Corpus earlier this year, so he know exactly what to do. At this point, someone in Lula´s office has already called Gilmar to inform him of the interest of the Union in the case.