Goldman Forums > Main Forum (Goldman)

Some thoughts from a proud Brazilian-American

(1/7) > >>

Sandra350:
I only just now registered at this site to express my feelings about the Goldman case.  I was born in Brazil and raised in the US.  I've lived and spent some time going to school in Brazil and I love my country of origin very dearly.  But I have no illusions about it -- nor about my adopted country either.

First off, it is impossible for me to express my disgust at Sean's Brazilian family and what they have put him and his father thru.  Having just watched Sean's maternal grandmother on Globo TV talk as if she's the victim is easily one of the most revolting spectacles I've ever seen -- esp. as both her and the family member at her side (I don't know who he was) used the press conference opportunity to lie about David Goldman's character (again), claiming that he had never shown any interest in visiting his son before Sean's mother died.  

These people deserve to burn in hell.  It's extraordinary to watch her demand to see Sean after denying the same right to David for so long.

Second, I am deeply gratified that the Brazilian judicial system FINALLY did what it should've done long ago and helped this father and son reunite.  I just hope Sean's readjustment is not very difficult.

I've been very disappointed with TV Globo's coverage, tho I will say one thing for the Brazilian media -- they never show Sean's face on TV, unlike the US media.  Brazilians don't know what Sean actually looks like because Brazilian TV hides children's faces by blurring them, whereas Sean's face is very familiar to Americans.

Thirdly, I'm happy to see people on this site active on the issue of int'l kidnapping of children, and Brazilians here supporting it.  However, it's important to remember that Americans are not the only ones suffering from this tragedy.  There are in fact many Brazilian parents who are enduring exactly the same thing that David Goldman has endured -- and the Brazilian gov't does very little about it.  At least David Goldman had a couple of US senators helping him.  

There is, for example, the horrible case of a Brazilian domestic maid who worked for and travelled with a Portuguese family to live in Portugal.  The maid had a daughter (a toddler) and brought her with her.  The maid has no formal education and had never traveled outside the country in her life, she knew very little about the world and was easily manipulated.  She was very trusting.  One day the Portuguese family persuaded her that she needed to temporarily return to Brazil to get some identification documents updated for her and her daughter.  She believed them and flew home, leaving her daughter with them, believing the girl was safe and sound with her employer family.  Being uneducated, she did not understand that the ticket she was given was only one-way and that she did not have any return ticket to Portugal, nor the money to buy it.  The family refused to contact her when she tried reaching them from Brazil.  With some help from family members, she put together enuf money for a return ticket.  She arrived in Portugal and her employer family refused to meet with her and has kept her daughter from her.  This has been going on for 6 years.  This maid has managed to find a job in Portugal and has been fighting for her daughter with very little help from anyone.

As with the Goldman case, the abductors are powerful, rich and influential.  So the  Portuguese gov't has done nothing.

So it is not only Americans who are suffering from this type of tragedy.  And the Brazilian gov't's refusal to abide by the anti-kidnapping treaty extends not only to foreign nationals like David Goldman but their own citizens as well.

shaine:

--- Quote from: Sandra350;60742 ---I've been very disappointed with TV Globo's coverage, tho I will say one thing for the Brazilian media -- they never show Sean's face on TV, unlike the US media. Brazilians don't know what Sean actually looks like because Brazilian TV hides children's faces by blurring them, whereas Sean's face is very familiar to Americans.

--- End quote ---

EDIT:// I just noticed you said TV. I apologize for this error.

This is not true.
Sean was on the cover of Epoca, in a featured article inside. Other's can state that Sean was not always "blurred" in the Brazillian press.

Typically in certain cases, children's faces are blurred in the news here, however Sean's case was that of an abducted child. Any child that has been abducted, the first rule of thumb is to get their image out there.
Granted David knew where Sean was.

And I have to feel that even though they know the media in Brazil would blur Sean's face, they knew the US media would not, and would show the world just how "scared" Sean was in that very public spectacle.
Who wouldn't be scared, when he had been kept from the media for so long, but in a defiant final act had to take the child through the media horde.

LukieD:

--- Quote from: shaine;60750 ---This is not true. Sean was on the cover of Epoca, in a featured article inside. Other's can state that Sean was not always "blurred" in the Brazillian press.
--- End quote ---

You're right, and let's take it one step further. This "family" and their media enablers interviewed Sean so they could show the world that "Sean says he wants to stay in Brazil." CBS and CNN took the bait, among others. You tell me what is worse, using a child as a pawn for propoganda or snapping a few harmless photos of him laughing and joking with his father?

BrazilianForJustice:
This brouhaha in Brazil about showing the face (actually, the eyes, like a burglar)  is truly hypocritical. Brazil put full pictures of Sean on covers, to sell magazines and to benefit the public relations campaign of people who were, by Brazilian law, kidnappers. Then they parade the child on streets of Rio...

Brazilians produced and distributed footage of Sean's private life!! And coerced interviews as well!!

Enough is enough. For those who drink the Brazilian kool-aid about this pictures thing and the black strip over the eyes thing... Shame on you.

shaine:
B4J, nothing is wrong with the black strip over the eyes, just as long as one can see the huge smile on Sean's face on the plane, that is all that matters in that photo. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version