Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kidnapping American Children - Costa Rican Style  (Read 88958 times)

Offline OIF vet

• Left Behind Parent
Re: Kidnapping American Children - Costa Rican Style
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
[SIZE=+3]Another U.S. custody battle ends up in court here[/SIZE]

By the A.M. Costa Rica staff

Another U.S. child custody case is playing itself out in a Costa Rican court, and this one has some twists.

A court session Monday was suspended for a judge to await additional documents, but the father, Roy Koyama of Springfield, Missouri, reported that he finally received the right to see his child.

The situation developed when Koyama's girlfriend, also a U.S. citizen, left him last Feb. 2 and came to Costa Rica. The case has been aired by both parties on various social networks and local television stations in the U.S. state. Both are seeking donations to support their legal efforts, and both have Web pages promoting their points of view.

The girlfriend, Trina Atwell Chavarria, said she took the baby, Emily Alina Koyama, then 7 months, because her boyfriend was abusive. She said on a Web site: "We came to Costa Rica for safety. I had tried before to get away from Roy, but he always found me, and always talked me back. But when the abuse became more then emotional, verbal and patrimonial, when it started becoming physical and sexual abuse I knew I had to run."

Koyama obtained sole custody of the baby, but the mother, who was in Costa Rica at the time, says she never was served with legal papers. The case is being played out based on an international child abduction treaty that has not been enforced strictly by Costa Rican officials. Koyama is seeking the baby and the possible extradition of his former girlfriend.

Koyama said that he met the woman who later had his baby on Myspace. After a whirlwind romance, she moved into his home and then announced that she was pregnant, he said.

Koyama's name is on the birth certificate as the father, but a complicating factor is that the woman may still be married to a Costa Rican man and parentage might be adjudicated here under local law. Ms. Atwell has a sister living here.

In Missouri it is a local prosecutor who is seeking Ms. Atwell's return as a felony violator.

At the very least, the case points out the complexities involved in a woman fleeing with her child out of a U.S. jurisdiction. Costa Rica

Roy Koyama and a son with baby Emily Alina in this photo posted to his Web site.

Ms. Atwell's page gives another story.

has seen at least five such cases in the last several years.

In one case, a woman who avoided U.S. authorities for years received refugee status to protect her from the U.S. Justice Department and prison.

Ms. Atwell did not appear in a Springfield court, so she has little official evidence to present about Koyama's alleged abusiveness.

Koyama, who has three other children at home, said that he expected to be able to be reunited with the baby and bring her back to the United States in a few weeks.  Ms. Atwell told a Missouri television station that the hearing was suspended until Feb. 4.

Koyama presents his case on the Web site www.emilyscase.com and on YouTube. Ms. Atwell has her say on "Keep Emily Safe in Costa Rica," a Facebook posting.

Offline amomfirst

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
I want to thank you for discussing this case. Roy Koyama is a friend of mine. This abduction is awful and very hard on Roy. I hope that it will come to end this week in favor of Roy, so he can bring Emily home.

Offline overyourhead

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
Quote from: OIF vet;66702
case for Emily in Costa Rica has been delay for another week here's is info on the abducting parent face book page

[URL=http://www.facebook.com/group.php]www.facebook.com/group.php[/URL]

what is up with all of these abducting parents having facebook pages???? what is wrong with this world when we have criminals on the web!

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 05:27:25 PM »
Quote from: OIF vet;66736
Koyama presents his case on the Web site www.emilyscase.com and on YouTube. Ms. Atwell has her say on "Keep Emily Safe in Costa Rica," a Facebook posting.

"Keep Emily Safe in Costa Rica," "Safe with Mommy," and on and on. Anyone else notice a pattern here? It's good these children are not being physically abused, but when will people wake up and realize that just because the child is "safe" does not mean they are not being psychologically abused by the abducting parent. Child abduction is child abuse.

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »
It of course implies that the left-behind parent is abusive.

What's "patrimonial" abuse? I can't think of a definition for that word that makes sense in that context.

Offline OIF vet

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 01:07:28 AM »
Quote from: amomfirst;67513
I want to thank you for discussing this case. Roy Koyama is a friend of mine. This abduction is awful and very hard on Roy. I hope that it will come to end this week in favor of Roy, so he can bring Emily home.[/quote
 I hope so too

Offline OIF vet

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25:35 AM »
Quote from: OIF vet;67532
Quote from: amomfirst;67513
I want to thank you for discussing this case. Roy Koyama is a friend of mine. This abduction is awful and very hard on Roy. I hope that it will come to end this week in favor of Roy, so he can bring Emily home.
I hope so too
here is something I found from a case back in Costa Rica in Dec 09

http://findcamille.weebly.com/index.html

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »
I hope so too

In Camille Kaufman's case, Costa Rica didn't send the mother back; she's still in the country. She merely agreed to send Camille back to the US.

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
Quote from: OIF vet;67533
I hope so too

The perfect quote is on his site:

In parental abduction a parent and child switch places: the parent becomes the selfish juvenile and the child is forced to grow up fast.
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline amomfirst

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2010, 04:23:22 PM »
Quote from: OIF vet;67533
I hope so too

Thanks so much! I will pass it along!:)

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
Kidnapping American Children - Costa Rican Style
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 08:45:52 PM »
Hello everyone,
     My name is Roy Koyama, and I am the LBP of Emily Alina Koyama, abducted Feb. 2, 2009 at 10:30am.  I want to tell my story in hopes I can help one of you.  This has been the hardest year of my life and I am finally at the end of my Hague Trial (with God's will).  This coming week is going to determine where my daughter will live.  It should be black and white, but for some reason the Costa Rican Authorities interpret the Hague Treaty with their own language, which goes against the entire process.  Any person should understand how to handle my case as well as others.  Here is my story:

I am a 40 year old father of three children--two boys ages 8 & 5, and my baby girl Emily Alina Koyama born July 5, 2008.

I mention Emily's full name and birth date because she was taken from my home February 2, 2009, by her mother Trina Atwell-Chavarria to Costa Rica.
In September of 2007 I met Trina on Myspace through a mutual friend; we exchanged friendly conversation. She gave me her phone number and we talked daily for two weeks until one day she asked if I'd like to meet her for coffee. We arranged to meet. It was a whirlwind romance from that point on. Shortly thereafter, when Trina told me she had to move out of her apartment, I offered to let her move in with me until she could get back on her feet. It didn't take long, less than 3 weeks, to figure out that we really weren't compatible in our values and living standards so I decided to ask her to move out. But before I could do that, she announced that she was pregnant. Of course that changed everything and I decided that I needed to overlook differences and focus instead on getting to know her, getting to love her, and to appreciate the good things about her so we could give our children (my two boys, her 11-year old daughter, and our unborn child) a safe and loving home and a stable environment.

I found out very quickly that a stable environment was not in the picture, as Trina's way of coping with things not going her way was to run away, which she did frequently during our short relationship and, as I found out afterwards, she did in all her failed relationships.

Trina told me she wanted to be with me forever...

February 2, 2009 I came home and found all of Trina and Emily's belongings gone, and she sent me a text message that she needed to stay at her mother's home for a while. I later found out she had been planning on kidnapping Emily to Costa Rica for over three months after speaking to one of her friends.

I am now fighting for my daughter in the jurisdiction in Costa Rica where they take the woman's word over the man's almost everytime. I pray they see the light when I appear in their court with all legal documents to discount all allegations against me, all translated into Spanish to make it easier for them to understand my case and the crime committed against my family.

Trina now has a felony warrant for her arrest in the U.S.

Please help me and the other children involved get their sister back where she rightfully belongs.

Media Links:

www.missingkids.com Click on "more search options" and then put "Koyama" in as last name. Emily's picture will come up and you can view the poster.

http://www.amcostarica.com/2008072901.htm

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/40244867.html

http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=122901

http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=228182

http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=229312

http://www.kspr.com/news/local/83497647.html

I have created a foundation in order to help me with attorney fees that will go directly to my attorney to cover all expenses related to getting her back and the remaining funds will be donated to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children... Please help me get her back!

You can contact my attorney directly for donations:
Payee: Courtney and Mills, LLC
540 E. Chestnut Expressway, Suite 100
Springfield, MO 65806

Memo line: Emily Koyama Costa Rica Fund...

www.courtneyandmills.com
They take credit cards too. Please help me...
Local: 417.869.9888 Fax: 417.869.9891
Toll Free: 888-844-7518

God Bless you and thank you for helping

Email us at: roykoyama@msn.com
Visit us at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJahfZFP9C8

Special thanks to the Lost for creating the awesome video of my daughter...

I am very anxious at this point since we're closing the case this week and I keep hearing all the negative stuff Trina posts about me and haven't once said anything negative about her all year on my posts.  Goes to show who is taking the higher road.  I am concerned about how my daughter is being treated, since she didn't have a say in all of this mess.

I am trying to go National this week and if any of you can help that would be great!  I would really like to get on Dateline and expose this crime further, since there is another case in Costa Rica to piggy back mine... our good friend OIF Vet needs the exposure as well...

I am not trying to be the high profile guy, but more of the person/Father that wants to help others in the same situation.  I want to help you.

Please feel free to view or join my daughters Facebook page which I have made visible to everyone now because of Trina and her outlandish Facebook page to "Keep Emily Safe in Costa Rica", what an oxymoron...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=139701463522&ref=search&sid=1827856220.3678958414..1

This is where you can find the truth... look at the links and videos, etc.. it's all there. My evidence, at least some of it... other material is too sensitive to post.

I just want my baby back.  Help me and if you have questions or need help, please call me (417) 380-3180

I am here for any of you that need help or simply someone to talk to and unload.  I understand what you are feeling and can help.

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
Quote from: OIF vet;66736

"Keep Emily Safe in Costa Rica," "Safe with Mommy," and on and on. Anyone else notice a pattern here? It's good these children are not being physically abused, but when will people wake up and realize that just because the child is "safe" does not mean they are not being psychologically abused by the abducting parent. Child abduction is child abuse.

That's exactly what Trina is doing, trying her best to create a smokescreen... her evidence is missing, she has none and never has! She is good at story-telling, plain and simple.  My name is Roy Koyama, the LBP of Emily Alina Koyama.  Please contact me if I can help you... 417-380-3180

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
Here is the trial paperwork from when Trina went to court on Jan. 12, 2010 telling her side and submitting any evidence she has... What do you think???

First Page
General Data: All of the info names etc. The fact that Mrs. Atwell Chavarria knowing her rights agreed to participate in the interview.
2nd Page
IV. Methods used in order to do the report such as checking passport , translations of documents, interviews with various individuals (cousins, caregiver, aunt) observations of the minor, also observation of the home
V. Limitations of the investigation: Limited due to sources (info) not available since they are in the U.S.
VI. From the available information the following conclusions were obtained:
Mrs. Trina.. is from the U.S. born March..... with passport...... She is 30 yrs old and has studied massage therapy. ... is married and at the moment separated. She makes her living from commerce as sales agent work that she has performed in a stable manner since arriving in Costa Rica.....
She is being given this notice due to the appeal from Roy..... who requests that she be returned to the United States or reach a regulation for visits.
Mrs. Atwell 's history shows that she came from parents separated when she was 3 yrs old and raised by a mother that provided her with all of the attentions necessary for her upbringing. Her father although far away provided enough care in her view. (contact by phone ) Later the father returned to the home. So it shows that she has received effective support from parents as role models
About her life as a partner three formal relationships were established.
The product of the first relationship is the birth of a child Madison Mccall....which remained in the paternal home when the parents separated. She had direct contact and contributed to responsibilities to Madison while she resided in the U. S. and now continues communication through electronic and phone messages. She is quite glad about her upbringing in the paternal home and considers the only negative fact that the father does not allow Madison to visit Costa Rica. It is impossible to visit her country of origin due to the legal situation and conflict with the father of her younger child and these circumstances cause her great anguish and pain

Her second relationship as a partner is a marriage when she was 24 to Henner Chavarria Romero. From this relationship there is a separation of three years (2006- 2009). At this time she lived in the U. S. In the middle of 2009 she felt renewed and established a relation of engagement - courtship in which she obtains satisfaction and support.
The third identified relationship as a partner is established between Mrs. Atwell at the age of 28 with Mr. Roy ... (implicated in the present judicial process) and it is noted (from information obtained) taken place during a short engagement and later living together in open union during approx. 1 year and four months. (between July 2007 and Feb 2009) this produced a girl Emily Alina Koyama making her one year and 6 months.
From what has been reported the road of this partnership shows the development of frequent separations (from the only consulted perspective) due to Mr. Roy Koyama's consumption of drugs, economic difficulties, as well as domestic violence manifested in emotional aggressive controlling behavior , threatening comments, indignant phrases , vulgar vocabulary, physical aggressions (pinching, pushing) and sexual ( was obligated to maintain sexual contact without her consent causing her pain)
In relation to the mentioned previously it appears that Mr. Koyama has consumed drugs in the past, reported by Sonya Koyama ( per information told to a worker with Child Services dated 3/19/2009 as noted in the judicial copy #...... in addition to requests and measures of restriction solicited in the U. S. in September 2008 for the couple involved (one against the other) There is no access to the information as to the cause such measures, while in the case 08.... it is recognized that it was presented the 24 of September 2008 by Trina.... denouncing in that moment physical aggressions (pushing while she was holding her daughter) and emotional aggression (threatening comments). It is not known the results of these cases.
It is noted that the situation escalated in intensified aggressiveness which provoked a separation and immediate departure of Mrs. Atwell and Emily to Costa Rica. Something that was a big surprise to Mr. Koyama, noting that the transfer from one country to another a security strategy and recognizing that Mrs. Atwell could not see herself with Mr. Koyama anymore and identifying the opportunity to work in Costa Rica and count on the support (emotional and material) of familiar resources in Costa Rican soil fortified her decision.
This way in accordance with what has been said by persons interviewed , the conditions in which Emily entered the country has connotations of deceit against the father which desires the realization of a familiar visit for a limited time in Costa Rica. Even though the mother reports that she has a project to remain in the country previously. It is noted that a period of 11 months have passed without contact with the father.
The 3rd of march 2009 Trina solicited before the office of Migration for Foreigners the status of Refugee. It was denied . Then it was revoked.... It is not known what the results are.
In these circumstances there is reference between the parents of the girl of communication by means of electronic mail especially from Mr. Koyama and nothing from Trina (2 mailings she indicated) in which it is reported manipulation against Trina and vulgarity.... etc... It is important to note that this information can't be verified.
The paternal relationship during the time the parents were living together (as reported by Mrs. Atwell) it is noted that the necessary materials (attention to health, food, clothes , living) were satisfactory while the economic resources that Mr. Koyama contributed in the majority in addition to the support, gifts from friends or family. It is noted the direct care and other material attention required were at the care of the mother.
Pertaining the parental role assumed by Mr. Koyama is reported that it was a distant relation and little interest of emotional necessities, care and protection of the girl, including not touching her, not raising her up high, never changing diapers, and in the term of seven months gave her a bottle two times. It is described that he had little interest in having anything to do with the child and would pass the time looking at television, playing video games, consuming drugs, which caused him to ignore his daughter. As a result his influence in the minor was scarce. These conditions during this process could not be proven. Even though in accordance with the mother during her time living with Roy and according to her statement she would sometimes permit interaction between father and daughter during the time he was under the effect of drugs or she would leave her under his care during the time that he used drugs. Something that is considered dangerous for a small child.
In general it is noted that the move of residence of Emily from one country to another represents no disruption in adapting for this child, this in relation to the age of development that she represented with little implication on conflicts of those around her since she was just beginning to communicate with grimaces. She had relationships with two paternal brothers Rhys and Tai and a maternal sister Madison and other family members in a positive way.
Since the arrival in the country in the month of February till December 2009 Emily and her mother lived with her aunt Lynette.... and since then have moved because of the threats of Mr. Koyama against Mrs. Lynette which was denounced in the Judicial investigative Organization.
It is noted that Emily at the present time is part of an extended family (composed of the girl, mother , a cousin: Dustin Browning 24 yrs old, Bach administrator of public works ..... where the girl can count of direct care (food , hygiene supervision ) education support, medical attention, control and prevention...... vaccinations..... etc etc....
Given her young age, Emily is not capable of understanding the implications of the judicial process going on and many aspects going on about her.
Between mother and daughter there is evidence of important closeness, with manifestations of conduct that suggest affection, communication, gratifying love depicted in gestural language from Emily.
Recreation for the girl is described as a variety of social dares that significant she shares this with her mother and aunt.
Between the members of the familiar group evaluated it is noted that she has satisfaction on the basic necessities and she has positive relationships, since there is distribution of responsibilities between adults which occupy a rented living facility which permits good accommodation and security for those who live there. In a secure urban community.
In reference to Mrs. Trina A it is noted that she has had psychological treatment in the subject of relations between partners and admitting previous difficulties to put limits to aspects that were not gratifying or assume implications and feelings of persecution. She admits that she has benefitted from the treatment and has better relation with her daughter and can face actual worries. This information was received from the responsible therapist which states that "she is a rational person, creative, organized, and emotionally balanced".
It is true that there is reference during the interviews realized that there are aspects that suggest significant in-balance in the history of this person. This information has not been proven given the limitations available ........ patterns, forms in the past...... personality characteristics..... etc etc.
The next paragraph is about the fact that they don't see any problem with the girl with her present role model. No affect on her and in fact they see how well Trina takes care of her daughter in all aspects.... food, health etc etc..... since she is still dependent on adults.
As a resource of emotional and material support of Mrs Atwell it is noted that her sister, nephews and present partner, with whom she has impersonal positive relationships. They provide direct supervison during work hours and provide recreational activities etc etc.... security for Trina .... professional support and trustworthy domestic servants .
In addition Mrs.... assumes a business with her sister and they are partners . A project that strengthens her life with her daughter Emily something that becomes possible with the support that she counts on and having received the special conditions that the country gives immigrants give her the capacity to build her life and she also counts on internal and external resources since she is very organized, responsible, she succeeds with her work and is capable of adapting to circumstances with satisfactory results.....
So... there is no risk in the perspective social work etc etc..... that would interfere with the development of Emily. Even though there is a problem that exists in accepting linkage of the girl and the father. This is associated with the little hope of change that she visualizes in this man (conduct in the consuming of drugs, little empathy toward the girl). So she hopes to stay at her daughter to maintain estability that permits an adequate education, hoping that the father " tires and goes away) Considers that the girl can count on a substitute figure that will fulfill the paternal function since she has a partner Henner who is a person that worries significantly about the girl.....
Mrs. Atwell minimizes the implications of her remaining in Costa Rica can have on her daughter because even though there exists definite links of closeness defined at the age that the girl traveled to Costa Rica there is the paternal obstacles between Emily and her sister and brothers and disfavors the relations with the family residents of U. S.. Given the actual circumstances the girl does not have physical contact except by telephone with her sister by maternal line and links with brothers by paternal line elements that must be considered as she grows..........
Finally about the present judicial process the defendant exposes her desire to keep in charge of her daughter in Costa Rica after identifying the opportunities for the girl in an bi-cultural bilingual education and rearing surrounded by socioeconomic standing that allows satisfaction in necessities (since the mother counts on major income in Costa Rica and with major economic capacity as reported to U. S.) identifying Mrs. ..a style of living in Costa Rica of tranquility, less exposure to dangerous situations like violence, drugs and others.

She is trying to aviod drugs, then she needs to avoid her own family!  Go to my Facebook page for Emily and you'll see in her own writing that discounts her allegations against me, she doesn't know I found her journal... tadow, how you like me now!

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:08 PM »
Well... it's Thursday Feb. 18th, 2010 and I'm still waiting on the judge in Costa Rica to make her decision.  I am kinda going nuts waiting, since I am not in Costa Rica, "she" gets to know more than I do because she is there and I am here.  I wouldn't be so worried (and I know I shouldn't worry), but the judicial system in CR is not the favorite of LBP's in terms of things going the right way... instead everything just goes their way.

I was speaking to my new friend OIF Vet and was telling him I feel like the judges in Costa Rica are too prideful to admit they don't know how to interpret the Hague Treaty and that's why they just interject their own language into the treaty and simply let things go the way they think is best.  Think about it... these are judges and lawyers, do you really think they are going to ask for help??? Doubtful and this is why I really feel we need International Judges that only handle Hague cases and sent to cover the trials.  Maybe this would help force countries to learn the language of the treaty or be held accountable in every way untilthey do... Don't sign an International Treaty unless ready to comply with it's rules and guidelines.  Am I asking too much?

LBP of Emily Alina Koyama

Looking for some insight...

Thanks!

Roy Koyama
417-380-3180
lttlmtn@gmail.com

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Hi Roy! 

Who was it that wrote the above in blue?  It is contradictory.  She condems you for using drugs (I don't approve either, but I'm not the judge), but she stayed with you and had a child with you, knowing so?  As well, the Hague isn't about custody...it's about returning the child to his/her habitual residence (prior to the abduction).  Trina can return to the US, with your daughter, and deal with it in the proper courts.  Unless she is scared she will lose, what does she have to lose by coming back and handling things the right way?

To me, unless there is PROOF of abuse, then the TP is no more than a coward.  It's not all about them and they need to remember that what they are doing to these children is CHILD ABUSE!!!

Hope you hear something soon.
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman