Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "My" member of the congress in California answered...  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Roberta Palermo

• http://www.robertapalermo.com.br
"My" member of the congress in California answered...
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »
I only don't know if he answered to me or if it's a normal e-mail for everybody who writes to them. How does it works in US? I will keep talking to him. Roberta

Dear Mrs. Palermo:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for international child abduction regulation.  I appreciate hearing from you and welcome your input.

As you know H.R. 3240, the International Child Abduction Prevention Act of 2009, establishes an Office of International Child Abductions within the Department of State. The basic responsibilities of that Office would be to promote measures that prevent international abduction of children from the United Sates and advocate on behalf of abducted children. H.R. 3240 has been referred to the House Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law, where it awaits further action.

H.R. 2702, the Suspend Brazil GSP Act, seeks to attain the immediate return of Sean Goldman and all children wrongfully in Brazil in contravention of the Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Convention). If passed the President would be directed to notify the World Trade Organization to immediately suspend the Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) for Brazil. H.R. 2702 has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means where it currently awaits further action.

As you know, there have been several high profile cases involving child custody disputes across international boundaries. The Hague Conventions governs international custody disputes, when the parents live in different countries, and the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction determines which country has jurisdiction in these matters and also works to assist the collection of child support.  The Convention has been signed by the United States of America and therefore is entitled to recognition as the "supreme law of the land" and in 1993, Congress enacted the International Parental Kidnapping Crime Act which makes it a criminal offense to abduct children to non-Hague countries.

It is my hope that the legal process will run its course to provide a fair result in these cases in the best interest of the children.  I share your belief that we must respect international laws to ensure a fair and just process is followed so children remain safe. As a parent of two young children, I agree that we must do everything possible to safeguard our children and facilitate the recovery of abducted and missing children. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind when this issue is considered on the House Floor.

An on-going job of a Representative in Congress is to help constituents solve problems with federal agencies, access services, and get their questions answered promptly.  On my website, I offer a detailed guide to the services my office can provide to you as a constituent.  I also encourage you to subscribe to the Washington Update, my email newsletter which contains information on local events, my work in Washington, and even lets you weigh in on important issues through online polls.  Visit me online at http://schiff.house.gov to subscribe.  Please know that you can always reach me at (626) 304-2727 or via my website if I can ever be of additional assistance.  

Thank you again for your thoughts.  I hope you will continue to share your views and ideas with me.

Sincerely,

Adam B. Schiff

Member of Congress

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
Re: "My" member of the congress in California answered...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
This is your basic 'fluff' letter - basically says thanks but no thanks.  I am interested to know why we don't have many more co-sponsors.....what's holding them back?

Offline Nicole's Dad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »
Quote from: lovellboys;66725
This is your basic 'fluff' letter - basically says thanks but no thanks. I am interested to know why we don't have many more co-sponsors.....what's holding them back?

I thought the response was the only response he could have given. What do you want them to say?

Offline Celita

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:35:46 PM »
Bravo, Roberta! What about the others...what are they waitting for? At least someone read and answered. Push! Push!

JonathanR

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
This is your basic 'fluff' letter - basically says thanks but no thanks. I am interested to know why we don't have many more co-sponsors.....what's holding them back?

Sen Jim DeMint, from my home state of south carolina, sent a similar response when the first bill was on the floor. I wasn't exactly sure what it meant, whether he agreed or was more like "i'll decide once i know more." certainly wasn't a thanks but no thanks, but on the flipside, it wasn't a resounding RIGHT ON/I'M WITH YA!!

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
Quote from: Nicole's Dad;66729
I thought the response was the only response he could have given. What do you want them to say?
It depends on what she asked.  If she asked for him to co-sponsor, he did not answer the request, but gave the typical non-committal answer.  If Roberta did ask for co-sponsorship, then he did what many do, which is hide behind a recitation of the status of the bill, especially the committee it was referred to, and not commit. That is why we have learned that phone calls and personal visits are so much more effective at gaining co-sponsors.  That's why there is a multi-billion dollar Congressional Lobby INDUSTRY that is parked in (some would say own) Washington.  It is a full time job to command the attention of these reps among the noise of all the issues.  If BSH were more established, and had deeper pockets, it would do well to hire someone to keep the heat on, but that's not likely to happen due to obvious limitations.
Pass HR 3240
Please visit links to HR 3240.  We need this bill passed now for the 2,800 other abducted American Children!

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:32:17 PM »
Quote from: Caldwell;66765
It depends on what she asked. If she asked for him to co-sponsor, he did not answer the request, but gave the typical non-committal answer. If Roberta did ask for co-sponsorship, then he did what many do, which is hide behind a recitation of the status of the bill, especially the committee it was referred to, and not commit. That is why we have learned that phone calls and personal visits are so much more effective at gaining co-sponsors. That's why there is a multi-billion dollar Congressional Lobby INDUSTRY that is parked in (some would say own) Washington. It is a full time job to command the attention of these reps among the noise of all the issues. If BSH were more established, and had deeper pockets, it would do well to hire someone to keep the heat on, but that's not likely to happen due to obvious limitations.

That's the point I was trying to make, Caldwell just explained it better.  I appreciate that my rep is AWARE of HR3240, but can he address why he falls short of co-sponsoring it?    I call to offer MY support for the bill AND to request his OFFICIAL support for it.  

Add your name to it, then I'll know you are truly an advocate for change.

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
Quote from: lovellboys;66766
That's the point I was trying to make, Caldwell just explained it better.  I appreciate that my rep is AWARE of HR3240, but can he address why he falls short of co-sponsoring it?    I call to offer MY support for the bill AND to request his OFFICIAL support for it.  

Add your name to it, then I'll know you are truly an advocate for change.

Yeah I thought that answer was complete fluff too.  I've written Congress on a lot of issues and that type of response is how they tell you to get lost.  I would respond to that and remind them that you understand the issue and what the bills are and were looking for a commitment to co-sponsor and support those bills.

Going back to having a lobbyinst in DC... I can't think of anyone more qualified to do that than David.  Maybe someday BSHF will have the financial resources to allow him to work less and pay him to act as a lobbyist for kidnapped children in Washington.  He understands the issue as well as anyone and is a compelling and charismatic speaker.
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline Sashia

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
Actually Carlos, I think you are a compelling and charismatic speaker :)

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
In short, they are, for the most part, gutless political animals who are always looking at an issue from the "what's in it for me" perspective. I don't mean financially, but, how does it get me more power or keep me in office. That's why I am continually SO impressed with Chris Smith, what a breath of fresh air. And I do NOT agree with him on many issues, but at least I know where he stands and he has integrity in those positions.  

So, since this cause does not have much in the way of "power appeal", and does not have professional voices taking reps out to lunch, and is not a headline cause, we need face-to-face roll up your sleeves meetings and that IS a tough row to hoe for us who have jobs and families and limited schedules.
Pass HR 3240
Please visit links to HR 3240.  We need this bill passed now for the 2,800 other abducted American Children!

JonathanR

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:49:42 AM »
form letters always feel make you feel a bit snubbed, as though they saw one word in your email (ie hr3240 or goldman or whatever) and automatically issued a pre-typed memo to make it look like they thoughtfully read your message.

i know they're busy, but y'know.... ;)

Offline NativeNewYorker

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
Does anyone know how many co-sponsors are needed for the bill to make it out of committee?

Offline Caldwell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »
Quote from: NativeNewYorker;66869
Does anyone know how many co-sponsors are needed for the bill to make it out of committee?

You would think that there would be guidelines, right?  That would be too convenient, though, and too democratic. There are none. For instance, and NOT to get off-topic or political, there has been a very good Health Care bill in committee for over a year (pre-dates Obama's efforts) that is very understandable and palatable and essentially extends Medicare to everyone. It is not 2000 pages long.  Last I looked it had almost 100 co-sponsors, and it had them WAY BACK WHEN (not a result of the last 8 months of debate). You would think this might have moved forward for general House debate, right? But, no, whoever is in position on this committee to allow/disallow this bill to leave the committee and go the House has squashed it.  Frankly, the way Congress operates is a bunch of non-democratic (note small "d") crap.  Once again, my praise to Chris Smith for, frankly, not giving a s**t about any of it and going for what he believes.  

So, unfortunately, we do not have a target that we know will trigger even COMMITTEE debate, let alone be released to the full HOUSE for debate there.  Not to be negative, really, but we could have over 100 co sponsors and still have 3240 collect dust on the shelf.  The key will be who these co-sponsors are, how much political leverage they have and are willing to use, timing regarding other issues at the moment, and connected to that, what press can be generated about the issue.
Pass HR 3240

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
Quote from: Caldwell;66893
So, unfortunately, we do not have a target that we know will trigger even COMMITTEE debate, let alone be released to the full HOUSE for debate there. Not to be negative, really, but we could have over 100 co sponsors and still have 3240 collect dust on the shelf. The key will be who these co-sponsors are, how much political leverage they have and are willing to use, timing regarding other issues at the moment, and connected to that, what press can be generated about the issue.

And in addition, who the Chairmen/women of the committes are where this bill has been introduced (committees are always run by the party in the majority). These peoples' interest in the issue and their desire to see the legislation move forward may be the biggest variable in all of this, aside from the number of co-sponsors. That's why individuals like Howard Berman, the Chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, are so important.