Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Japan Prime Minister says Japan will sign the Hague  (Read 3836 times)

Offline pptoland

• http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=98937667971
Japan Prime Minister says Japan will sign the Hague
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
OK, so it looks like this is for real.  Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has said Japan will sign the Hague in their next legislative session (2011) http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/169740/japan-says-willing-to-sign-treaty-on-child-abduction

Now is NOT THE TIME to let up the pressure, but instead to increase the pressure.  Remember, no child has ever been returned and even if Japan did sign and ratify the treaty, they have enormous obstacles to overcome if they are ever to actually COMPLY with the Hague. 

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, a solution MUST BE FOUND to resolve existing child abduction cases.  My biggest fear is now that Japan has officially committed to signing the Hague, that international pressure will abate and the issue will "go away," and we cannot let that happen.  The Hague provides the framework for providing a long-term strategic solution for abductions cases that do not yet exist, but does nothing for the hundreds and perhaps thousands of children currently being held in Japan.

Now is the time to ratchet up the pressure rather than sit back on our laurels and celebrate.  However, no matter which way you slice it, this is progress.  Paul Toland

Offline FC_Florida

• Veteran Member
Re: Japan Prime Minister says Japan will sign the Hague
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
That's some great news. Let's spread the word around.
* FC_Florida *

Offline phillyone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
I hope this means Japan will assist in bringing your daughter home....and other children held in Japan. That's bottom line!! :cool:

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
That's great news, Paul.  However, if they sign on in 2010, that will not be retroactive, correct?  Hopefully it will give you some legal standing at least to insist visitation so that a relationship with Erika can be rebuilt.  Maybe now they will see things differently and realize that you are Erika's only surviving parent.  Continuing to pray for you and Erika. 
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline Audax

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:29:29 PM »
Hi Paul

Agree with you completely. As history has shown, just because a country signs the Hague, doesn't mean kids are coming home.
And even some countries that do live up to their Hague obligations now, were slow to resolve cases in the beginning.
We must continue to apply pressure.

Offline greg4sean

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »
I agree we must keep up the pressure to get all of the kids back not just for cases after they sign! We need 3240 so badly!

As Sean said to David: "Maximum Force"

Isaac Savoie: “The Force is in you Daddy!”