Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Senator Lugar (R)  (Read 3108 times)

Offline Hanna

Senator Lugar (R)
« on: February 24, 2009, 03:50:18 PM »
I have just read in a brazilian newspaper that Senator R. Lugar is meeting with Pres. Lula on his visit to Washington, DC in March. I have just send him an email requesting his support on House Resolution 125 and Senate Resolution 37. Please if you have a chance email Mr. Lugar.

Mr. Lugar is an unwavering advocate of U.S. leadership in the world, strong national security, free-trade and economic growth.

senator_lugar@lugar.senate.gov

Offline Ceilli

Re: Senator Lugar (R)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »
Yes, I think more people need to contact him. Last week, the response to my request was this:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the case of Sean Goldman, who was reportedly taken to Brazil by his mother against the wishes of his father.

My staff has forwarded your concerns to the State Department's Office of Children's Issues, which works specifically on these complex matters.  It is critical that these cases are resolved according to international law with the best interests of the child in mind.

I will continue to closely monitor developments on this issue.  Thank you, again, for writing.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:44:46 PM »
Senator Lugar needs to have his phone ring off the hook ahead of President Lula's visit. That email is so weak it's beyond description. To say "reportedly" abducted and then to turn the case over to OCI at the State Dept, I mean thanks a lot Senator! I wonder if he or his staff even know about the Senate resolution that's been introduced. This guy needs to wake up and smell the coffee. He's the Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, no excuses here.

Offline Mom25

• Veteran Member
Senator Lugar (R) - contact info
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
Address mail to Senator Lugar at:

The Honorable Richard G. Lugar

SH-306 Hart Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510-1401

or

8585 Broadway, Suite 490

Merrillville, IN 46410

Washington Phone: 202-224-4814

Merrillville Phone: 219-736-9084

Fax: 202-228-0360

Email: senator_lugar@lugar.senate.gov
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
His reply letter is apalling!  I have written him via e-mail and will try and phone personally from Canada today...do you think that will help?  Here is the letter I sent to him...

Dear Senator Lugar...

I am writing to you from Canada with regards to Brazil’s serious disregard and lack of respect toward the Hague Convention and International Law involving the abduction of Sean Goldman.  I am hopeful that you will read what I am writing and not just pass it off to someone else as a “minor” concern.  I have seen a reply letter that you sent to a US citizen who contacted you whereby you merely glanced at the issue at hand and passed it off to someone else and replied in form. Shame!! PLEASE READ THIS LETTER!!

Sean Goldman was NOT “reportedly” abducted...he was KIDNAPPED by his mother who was ordered by a U.S. court to return Sean to his New Jersey father.  A case was filed under the rules of the Hague Convention with Brazil and, according to international laws, Sean should have been returned to his father 6 weeks later....it has been four and a half years!

I urge you to visit the Bring Sean Home website and learn for yourself about this tragic case.  Mr. Goldman has more than 40,000 supporters from around the world (and that number grows daily), most of whom are expressing outrage that the U.S. government and the Brazilian government have not done more to reunite Sean and his father.  Seans mother died in August 2008 and still he has not been returned. He is being held by her new “husband” and the Brazilian courts.  This is an unbelievable travesty and the world is watching.  

Please tell me you will read this, and ACT!  Please do not simply shrug your shoulders and pass it to someone else.  In light of your upcoming meeting with President Lula, I hope that you will give this case the very serious attention it deserves. After all, it could be YOUR child or your grandchild that will one day be held hostage by Brazil or another country who fails to recognize its responsibilities and ignores the Hague Convention.  

If you and I do not speak up for the rights of children, then we are much negligent as a society indeed!

Sincerely concerned,

Wendy Irving, Global Citizen  
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Offline Hanna

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
Quote from: Wendy;477
His reply letter is apalling!  I have written him via e-mail and will try and phone personally from Canada today...do you think that will help?  Here is the letter I sent to him...

Dear Senator Lugar...

I am writing to you from Canada with regards to Brazil’s serious disregard and lack of respect toward the Hague Convention and International Law involving the abduction of Sean Goldman.  I am hopeful that you will read what I am writing and not just pass it off to someone else as a “minor” concern.  I have seen a reply letter that you sent to a US citizen who contacted you whereby you merely glanced at the issue at hand and passed it off to someone else and replied in form. Shame!! PLEASE READ THIS LETTER!!

Sean Goldman was NOT “reportedly” abducted...he was KIDNAPPED by his mother who was ordered by a U.S. court to return Sean to his New Jersey father.  A case was filed under the rules of the Hague Convention with Brazil and, according to international laws, Sean should have been returned to his father 6 weeks later....it has been four and a half years!

I urge you to visit the Bring Sean Home website and learn for yourself about this tragic case.  Mr. Goldman has more than 40,000 supporters from around the world (and that number grows daily), most of whom are expressing outrage that the U.S. government and the Brazilian government have not done more to reunite Sean and his father.  Seans mother died in August 2008 and still he has not been returned. He is being held by her new “husband” and the Brazilian courts.  This is an unbelievable travesty and the world is watching.  

Please tell me you will read this, and ACT!  Please do not simply shrug your shoulders and pass it to someone else.  In light of your upcoming meeting with President Lula, I hope that you will give this case the very serious attention it deserves. After all, it could be YOUR child or your grandchild that will one day be held hostage by Brazil or another country who fails to recognize its responsibilities and ignores the Hague Convention.  

If you and I do not speak up for the rights of children, then we are much negligent as a society indeed!

Sincerely concerned,

Wendy Irving, Global Citizen  

Well done Wendy! Now everyone else copy/past and SEND!

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »
I just sent mine.

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
If you're copying and pasting that's fine, just make sure you remove the part about your writing from Canada...unless of course you are from Canada.  What I'll be really intersted in seeing is if he even responds since I'm writing from Canada!  Hmmm...maybe I should call?!
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
Well THAT was interesting.  As soon as I mentioned I was calling from Canada the secretary immediately transferred me to their international affairs line.  I hung up and called back, she put me on hold.  I hung up and called again, and someone else answered.  I was very insistent that my e-mail me be read by the senator.  I am MUCH more effective in writing than I am in person I'm afraid! :\  Anyway...I asked her to please ask him to read the e-mail...I'm sure he won't but I asked.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

Offline Ceilli

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »
I replied back to Senator Lugar and will ask others in Indiana to e-mail or call asking for his support.

Offline rbenny

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »
This is very interesting I am an Indiana resident. I wrote Senator Lugar last week in relations to Senate Resolution 37 and I got The exact same Canned  response from Senator Lugar!!!! Here is my email.

romSenator Lugar to
dateWed, Feb 18, 2009 at 5:24 PMsubjectResponding to your messagemailed-bylugar.senate.gov
hide details Feb 18 (7 days ago)

Dear Mr. Benson:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the case of Sean Goldman, who was reportedly taken to Brazil by his mother against the wishes of his father.

My staff has forwarded your concerns to the State Department's Office of Children's Issues, which works specifically on these complex matters.  It is critical that these cases are resolved according to international law with the best interests of the child in mind.

I will continue to closely monitor developments on this issue.  Thank you, again, for writing.

Sincerely,

Richard G. Lugar
                                                            United States Senator

Obviously he is just sending canned responses. He is old anyway and needs to retire, or voted out of office. I am ashamed he is my senator.