Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Koyama Case Background  (Read 9853 times)

Offline Bob D'Amico

• Veteran Member
    • Bring Sean Home Foundation
Koyama Case Background
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
Information from Roy on the Koyama case:

My Story:

My story begins back in August of 2007 when I met Trina and began talking to her on a regular basis.  She was planning on going back to Costa Rica and leaving her 10 year old daughter again.  After several conversations she decided to stay here in the US and we started seeing each other on an intimate level.  I found out she had to move out of her apartment and needed a place to stay that was close to her work, so I let her move in with me.  It didn't take long for me to realize I had made a big mistake.  Her habits and lifestyle were not something I agreed with, and one Friday I sat down with a good friend  discussing my problems with him.  It took about an hour and I decided I needed to ask her to move out and that we had made a mistake, which I planned on doing on the following Monday.  Well, that Sunday night rolled around and she approached me with a funny look, then showed me the pregnancy tests that were all positive.  At this point I didn't know what to do except the!
 "right" thing.  I told myself I would have to see past the things I didn't agree with and make the "best" of our situation.

Things weren't horrible and in fact I found myself falling in love with her during the pregnancy and asked her to marry me on January 26, 2008, and she said yes.  We were going to get married in August 2009 after the baby was born and we were settled in to our new lives.  Emily Alina Koyama was born July 5, 2008 and the birth was incredible.  Trina and I really bonded (at least in my mind) and it seemed like everything was going to be great.

Well... things didn't work out the way we planned.  I noticed her behavior was changing and Trina was becoming more aggressive with me and the kids.  She often raised her voice and mistreated her own daughter right before my eyes.  I didn't feel like I should step in between them and cause problems in our home, so I let it slide (should have trusted my gut).  I thought it must be post-pardum and just left it at that.  September 2008 is when it all fell apart. We had a disagreement one morning and next thing I knew it, Trina was in my face getting very loud.  She had set Emily in her swing and my youngest son was right there when she began accusing me of things that I wasn't guilty of.  You see, the night before I had come clean with her about my past (which was over 10 years ago).  I never claimed to be a saint, but one thing I am not is a bad person.  She took it to the next level and began to shove me and pound on my chest in front of my son, so I attempted to exit the hom!
 e through the garage and she blocked my path, so I put my hands on her shoulders and moved her out of my way with little force.

I left to work, then realized my son had witnessed all the mess created and I turned back for him.  When I got back she was on the phone with family, and she told me she was leaving me... (she'd done it twice before so I wasn't worried about her being gone for long). Once again I should have listened to my gut and let her go, but I wanted a family and a family life so I pursued her to come back home.  This is when I found out she had put a restraining order against me for putting my hands on her.  So I went and got her served with a restraining order to protect myself, since she was the one that really got physical.  After 2 weeks we decided it was best for her to come back and we would drop both orders (that's why there is no record, they were dismissed).  So she came back and began to be very loving, almost too much... but who was I to question the woman I planned on spending the rest of my life with?

I should have seen the red flags from before when she told me how she left her first husband and daughter to live in Costa Rica with another woman (yes, she is bisexual and that's one thing I didn't like from day one and the fact she left her 4 month old baby girl for another woman in Costa Rica).  I ignored these red flags since I thought she had changed... boy was I wrong, in fact Trina and her sister had been planning the kidnapping since September 2008.  I wonder sometimes if she wasn't trying to set me up the entire relationship?  I have the testimony from her sister in Costa Rica openly admitting the planning of the abduction.  Right there I knew I was going to win the court decision in Costa Rica...

So, we dropped the orders against each other and went back to life as we knew it, or at least I thought.  It was sometime in November 2008 when Trina told me of a "surprise" family reunion in Costa Rica and her sister was paying for flights out there.  Trina asked me to sign a release for Emily to get a passport, and I didn't think anything of it since we were getting along so well. She was putting on an incredible act for me and the kids telling me that we would grow old together, and the kids would be in the wedding that summer.

The rest is history, on February 2, 2009 I got a phone call at work around 9am and it was a lady telling me that my future wife was planning on kidnapping my daughter. I asked who it was and the person told me, "it's somebody that cares". After the call I immediately went home to see what was going on and spoke to Trina about it.  She told me someone is messing with me or jealous of our lives.  I really didn't understand what was going on so I went back to work around 10:30am, got back to work and called her, but to no answer... I got a really funny feeling and went back home to find all of Emily's and Trina's belongings gone by 11:30am.  There was a note on the table with her engagement ring telling me how unhappy she was and that she needed space from me.  I was very upset, especially since I had just bought us a brand new home and was excited about our future.  I found out later that the person who called me was the step mother of her oldest daughter.

I honestly thought I was going to lose my mind and didn't know what to do next... so I waited a few days and went to the police where they jumped on the case and within 24 hours had a felony warrant for Trina's arrest. I finally figured out what my next steps had to be. NCMEC and the Department of State got involved which gave me a light at the end of the tunnel to focus on at the time.

Several months had passed and Trina was sending out emails from the laptop she stole from me to clients, friends, and family telling them how I am abusive, a child molester, and several other tactics to make people question me.  It didn't work, and my friends, family, and others have come to my support like I would have never imagined in million years.  I finished my Hague Application and submitted it in the Summer of 2009, and was accepted in August 2009.  Next I went to court in the US for custody of my daughter, and I was denied until I could get Trina served with papers.  So one of my friends hired an attorney in Costa Rica to have Trina served which took about a week.  I went back to the courts here and provided proof of her being served and won the custody judgment.  The next thing that happened is I was scheduled to appear in court in Costa Rica.  The court date was January 25, 2010 2 days before my birthday.  I was hoping my birthday gift would be bringing Emily home with me... boy was I wrong. The judge wouldn't even let me take pictures of Emily for her brothers to see.

I began to get really angry with the country of Costa Rica, but realized I must always take the higher road.  I finally got the winning judgment in Costa Rica in May 2010, but now the appeal process is under way, so I contacted Congressman Blunt's office for help.  The Congressman's office showed deep empathy towards me and began their legal process of helping me.  The Congressman wrote a letter to the Ambassador of Costa Rica telling them he is actively involved with my case and would like to see a quick resolution since the time line has been delayed so far out from the initial court proceedings.

Today I read a letter from the Costa Rican Ambassador in response to the letter Congressman Blunt sent on my behalf.  It shows that these cases often take up to 2 years and the letter sent had no effect what-so-ever.  I sit here wondering when I will get to see my daughter again?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:51:40 AM by Bob D'Amico »
Bob D'Amico

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
Re: Koyama Case Background
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 09:16:41 AM »
First of all thank you for posting my story...  Today I read a letter from my US attorney telling me I have to be in court next week because Trina is trying to get a Motion to Modify the custody judgment I won back in November 2009.  It seems like this is never-ending and July 5 is my daughter's birthday which I get to miss again because she is being held captive in Costa Rica beyond her own will.  I sent Trina an email requesting a picture of Emily for me and the boys to frame and keep on our dresser, since we never get to see her and don't know what she looks like... I sent one a few weeks ago with no response and wonder if she might do it now since it is Emily's birthday?  One can only hope...

Once again, thanks to BSH for the support and posting my story.

Roy Koyama LBP of Emily Alina Koyama

Offline familygal

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
My heart goes out to you and I wish your little girl a very happy birthday. :birthdaycake

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »
Round 3 on the custody hearing on the 26th of August... Trina is trying to get my custody order set aside, but doesn't realize how the Judge feels about our situation.  She may be in for a surprise, or the judge may be bound by certain guidelines when it comes to custody, but he said some choice things about Trina and how she is handling things.  Wish me luck and send some prayers.

Thank you for all the support!

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:59:14 AM »
Round 3 on the custody hearing on the 26th of August... Trina is trying to get my custody order set aside, but doesn't realize how the Judge feels about our situation.  She may be in for a surprise, or the judge may be bound by certain guidelines when it comes to custody, but he said some choice things about Trina and how she is handling things.  Wish me luck and send some prayers.

Did she come back to the US?  I'm out of the loop.  I've just moved from the SE to the NW. 

Good luck Roy!
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »

Hope things went well for you today in court, Roy!  Please keep us updated.
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:15:27 PM »
Another victory in the U.S.!!! I won the "Motion to Set Aside" my custody AGAIN...  Things are getting better for me every time she tries to pull something, and get this... she openly admitted that she would drag this out until Emily is 18 years old which only says that she is NOT willing to work with me in any capacity.  She tried to be nice so I would drop charges by letting me and my boys speak to Emily on her birthday but since then (July 5) not one word.  It really makes me mad and sad at the same time.  I can't stand liars!!!  I also believe that all guilty kidnappers need to face major consequences for their actions...

She's also telling people lies so she can get more of their money to finance her crime... and has the money sent directly to her personal bank account.  I admit I have a foundation asking for donations to help me, but the difference is I have the funds go directly to my attorney so I have zero access to the funds and anything left over from the trial goes to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.  I'm sure she is using the extra funds she is extorting to get her hair and nails done (speculation on my part, but it's probably true).  I just want to thank everyone for the prayers and support.

Roy Koyama LBP of Emily Alina Koyama

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:41:41 PM »
Great news Roy!  Does this affect the child support that she is considerably behind on?  I believe you said her passport will be invalid when she is in arrears of $2500. 

What is the status on your case in Costa Rica?  I do not understand how she hasn't been sent back.  She is a US citizen, with an abudcted child that is also a US citizen!  Does she, by chance, have dual citizenship?  How is she able to remain there?  Why are they (Costa Rican courts) even entertaining her?  Is she still legally married to whatever his name is (I'm assuming he is a CR citizen)?  IMO, she should be sent back with Emily and all should be heard in the Missouri court system.  This has nothing to do with Costa Rica except that they are harboring a child abductor, JHMO.

Offline UD_student

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:25:19 PM »
I'm really happy for you that you got another court victory!! It is sad how many court victories one can have without actually having his or her child back, but I pray that she has to eat her words when the case is decided in Costa Rica. I'm thrilled Rep Blunt has been so supportive of you despite all of the abductor's ridiculous tactics played on his office.

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 11:16:41 PM »
I am beside myself because of the facts stated and not being able to answer many questions.  I really never know what's going on since I'm not in Costa Rica, but I have been getting promising emails from the Dept. of State, Congressman Blunt's Office, and my local attorney.  It is very obvious what the kidnapper is trying to do and fails at every attempt, because you can make accusations, but when all allegations have been dis-proven there is no way for my to lose or her to win (yea this is a bold statement and my interests are for the kids, but this needs to go down under the letter of the law).  I don't want to disclose too much info on here, but I can tell you the U.S. and my local circuit court are 100% behind me...

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »
Something new here... Well as you can read from previous posts I have won every single court appearance.  I thought I was facing another appeal, but one here in the U.S. this time.  My attorney told me that she was going to try and appeal my custody order, which was going to get very expensive (which I would work 24 hours a day to pay for it).  I have found that the courts system has weighed in my favor again.  Her appeal was denied in the U.S. but we are still waiting for the Judicial System of Costa Rica to do what is right, and also the letter of the law.  We'll see I guess?

Offline dhanika

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:23:39 AM »
Roy how long ago did U get the custody order from the courts in the US?   I doubt that any appeal would be granted if the 90 day limit for appeals after the ruling has expired.   She has to show some real valid reason as to why she couldnt file an appeal during that 90 day window (it could be 60) but there are very inventive people out there.

Offline lttlmtn

• Left Behind Parent
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »
I've had the custody order since Nov. 2009, but now I found out today she has hired a new attorney to continue her stalling process here.  I wish I had a money tree like her to throw at attorney's.  She has everyone on her Facebook page fooled beyond belief, and they're giving her lots of money to help here remain on the run and keeping my daughter prisoner.  She claims to be such a great mother, but her track record speaks differently... 

Here we go again!

:shitstorm

Offline dhanika

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »
I've had the custody order since Nov. 2009, but now I found out today she has hired a new attorney to continue her stalling process here.  I wish I had a money tree like her to throw at attorney's.  She has everyone on her Facebook page fooled beyond belief, and they're giving her lots of money to help here remain on the run and keeping my daughter prisoner.  She claims to be such a great mother, but her track record speaks differently... 

Here we go again!

:shitstorm

Roy you are not alone.  My case is very similar in the direction it seems to head in. 

Legally, unless she actually filed within the appeals window there is not much that she can do, a new attorney or not, to appeal the decision since it is now Res Judicata.   She has to come up with an argument that has to convince an appeals court judge that it is a valid reason for allowing an appeal and the bar is very high there.

Offline dmdaven2

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
KEEP FIGHTING MAN!!! The end of the road is near!

never give up
Devon Davenport - Father of Nadia Lynn ;)