Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Andoni Petroutsas - Abducted to Greece  (Read 24796 times)

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Andoni Petroutsas - Abducted to Greece
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
Good!

Offline andonisdaddy

• Left Behind Parent
  • Miami Airport-reuniting with Andoni after 3mo
    • www.BringAndoniHome.org
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
Thank You all.
For the first time I feel part of a group that "understands" what we go throughand that I belong........being of Greek decent, It takes alot to hold my tounge (keyboard)...Love you guys!

Andoni's Daddy

Offline Athena

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
I'm George's attorney, Athena Roussos.  I have represented George for over two years now when we first appealed Judge Fogel's decision.  Initially, Judge Fogel granted the mother's peition to return the child to Greece, but he based that decision entirely on the fact that the Greek courts rejected George's Hague petition there.  The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed Judge Fogel's decision and held that the Greek court completely misapplied the law and misconstrued the facts - and therefore it was improper to give the Greek court decision any recognition.  This was no "technicality" but a complete rejection of what the Greek court did.  The Greek court a) made no determination of the child's habitual residence, b) found that George "consented" to the child being in Greece, although he only consented to a 30-day trip in writing, c) abandoned the child (based on no evidence), and d) found that the child was in grave danger if returned to the US because he would be separated from his mother.  The Greek court also refused to allow George to have his own counsel or participate in any meaningful way in the hearing.  You can read the published 9th Cir. opinion - Asvesta v. Petroutsas on Google Scholar. 

After we won the appeal, in April Judge Fogel finally found in our favor, finding Andoni's habitual residence is in the US, but the mother and her attorney, Stephen Cullen, convinced the judge to let her have one more visit in Greece. 

I just wanted to say thank you for the support and prayers for Andoni's return.  Just so the mother knows, I am not giving up and will continue to fight until Andoni is returned! 

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »
Sounds like the Greek court ran the whole gamut of bad Hague interpretations common to countries that don't comply with the Convention.  At least they didn't waste five years in the process... small silver lining in the otherwise broken treaty implementation of a kangaroo court.  I've read enough stories about Greek justice to expect that sort of story though.  What really bothers me is US Judge Fogel's interpretation of the Hague Convention, which was every bit as bad as the Greek courts (Karl, feel free to interject at any time about the noncompliance of the US :)  ...at least it was overturned on appeal.. God knows how many months/years later.)
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »
Holy crap...  I decided to take Athena's advice and look up the federal appeals court decision.  I haven't actually gotten through reading it yet but it says:

Asvesta [the abducting mother] alleges that while she was still in Greece, and before her scheduled date of return from Greece, the Greek police discovered a suitcase left by Petroutsas [the father] in Asvesta's family's home containing a gun, handcuffs, leg cuffs, credit cards, a pillow, telephone wires, and bullets. According to Asvesta, the discovery of these items prompted her on December 5, 2005, to file for divorce against Petrousas in the Athens Multimember Court of First Instance (“Athens Multimember Court”) and to file for temporary custody of the child with the Athens One-Member Court of First Instance (“Athens One-Member Court”). On December 9, 2005, the Athens One-Member Court issued an injunction granting Asvesta temporary custody of the child and scheduling a hearing on the custody petition for January 9, 2006. That hearing was later postponed.

How incredibly convenient that the mother, who had already expressed an interest in permanently returning to Greece, would find such a suitcase "belonging to" the future victim parent immediately prior to the date she was to return from "vacation."  Right... because people planning to off their spouse leave a suitcase like that at their in-laws house on the other side of the world...  It's certainly more creative than the run of the mill battered woman defense (with no substantiating evidence) except, in spite of their actually being evidence this time, it screams bogus and fabricated and runs counter to the intuition of any critically thinking person (unlike claiming abuse since 99.9% of men are supposed to be abusive closet rapists anyway.)  Can't really argue with results though since the Greek police and courts seem to have lapped it all up (not that the bar seems to be set all that high when a Greek mother litigates against a foreign father.)

Edit:

I finished reading the 9th Circuit's decision and it is an excellent one.  I'm not sure what the "technicality" that Petras was referring to was. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:01:21 PM by SageDad »
― Rumi

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 08:23:20 PM »

I finished reading the 9th Circuit's decision and it is an excellent one.  I'm not sure what the "technicality" that Petras was referring to was. 

The same kind of one that lets Greece dismiss charges from other countries in their own courts?  :rolleyes:

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

The same kind of one that lets Greece dismiss charges from other countries in their own courts?  :rolleyes:

I don't think Greek courts are THAT retarded that they think they can dismiss, much less "exonerate," someone of criminal charges filed in other countries.  I think claiming that he was "exonerated" by Greek courts is one of the Secretariat's many delusions of grandeur..like calling himself the "Secretariat of the European Centre" (even though his websites hosted in Panama.)  Hey, maybe the Secretariat and Andoni's abductor can be friends.  They could join forces with Bobo the clown, call themselves the Trifecta of Child Abductors and write children's books about how heroic parents protect kids from... um.. other, evil, abusive parents or something.  :p
― Rumi

Offline KarlHindle

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2010, 01:05:10 PM »
I finished reading the 9th Circuit opinion and it certainly is an excellent opinion - lucid and clear.

The section on comity is particularly illuminating - comity should be given in HC matters except where the judgement deviates from accepted Convention principles.  I'm not going to bite at Carlos' bait regarding US failure to issue comity in my daughter's case (well only a little), because the 9th Circuit came up with a very credible and robust opinion - the kind which ought to be publicized and encouraged - which makes the allowance for the overseas visitation of the child all the more incredible.

That said, the child is in Greece and for now, they have the ball no matter what these fine words say and as some have already alluded, "Manny" was "exonerated" by the Greek courts too.

This is a case which needs diplomatic and political intervention because I doubt the legal eagles will achieve diddly squat in the face of Greek xenophobia.
Emily's Dad - Karl Hindle
karl4work@gmail.com
http://emilyrosehindle.blogspot.com
‘Who gives a damn about the credit?’ Do what is right and the chips fall into place.” Congressman Chris Smith

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2010, 01:10:16 PM »
My reference to dismissing charges was of course facetious.

The very fact parental kidnappers go to such great lengths to justify what they do shows the tenuous basis their actions have in justifiability.

Offline andonisdaddy

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
My name is George Petroutsas, I am Andoni's Daddy, this is our story:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_15669472

WWW.BRINGANDONIHOME.ORG

Offline andonisdaddy

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2010, 01:03:00 AM »
The DA's office is issuing a warrant for her arrest this week....dont know how much good that will do if the Greeks dont comply. Still a long way to go! :confused:

Offline andonisdaddy

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
Hello All, I just wanted to post the link from dadsdivorce.com.
My attorney and I both gave interviews last week, where the lastest information on my case where dicussed.

George interview: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/articles/dadsdivorce-live-a-dads-fight-to-bring-his-child-home.html

Athena interview: http://www.dadsdivorce.com/articles/dadsdivorce-live-legal-issues-of-international-custody-disputes.html

Thank you all for your support,

George Petroutsas