Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ruling in my case?  (Read 23250 times)

Offline JuliRosi

• Veteran Member
Re: Ruling in my case?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »
I'm fuming too!  :madgo

Unreal that they would put the ball in the abductors court and expect her to do the right thing.  If she hasn't done the right thing in all these years, then why do they think she would start now?  Can your Congressman contact the State Department and ask them WTH is up with this?  Exceptions need to be made for abducted children that are to be repatriated.  It's not like you are requesting it to abduct her.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon...another 6 months is ridiculous!

I agree with you! Exceptions need to be made!

Offline rduffiel

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »
Our state department just need  to use common sense.  I guess that is just asking too much.

What is wrong with these people?
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.  ~Alfred Lord Tennyson

Rose

Offline Grace

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
It seems to me that government officials both in Brazil and the US all lack knowledge of the complexities of international child abduction. It seems no one knows what it really is and that very reason it exists is lack of cooperation. How can they expect the abductor to cooperate? Delays, delays. Sorry to hear that Klaus.

Offline Lexi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 08:57:51 PM »
I think I asked this question on the forum before but don't believe I got a response (perhaps nobody who read it knew the answer offhand), but do US embassies not issue one-way travel documents? Many foreign embassies will issue one in the case of an emergency and I would hope that repatriating an abducted child would fall into that category.

Like all here, very sorry to hear about this further delay.

Offline ANALE

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
This is totally UNBELIEVABLE!!!  Our government needs to wake up.

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 10:47:09 PM »
It seems to me that government officials both in Brazil and the US all lack knowledge of the complexities of international child abduction. It seems no one knows what it really is and that very reason it exists is lack of cooperation. How can they expect the abductor to cooperate? Delays, delays. Sorry to hear that Klaus.

Don't kid yourself.  US officials in the State Dept understand the complexities of these cases in intimate detail.  They don't lack comprehension.  They lack compassion. 

Asking them to do anything is a waste of time.  Go directly to your Congressman and Senators.
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline KBZensen

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
One step forward, two steps back... :(

As a reminder, after having all necessary documents in hands to renew my daughter's passport for a return on 02-Jan-2011, the State Department informed me that only the mother in Rio de Janeiro would be able to apply for the passport in the presence of my daughter. I shared with the State Department my suspicion that the mother would use this as an opportunity to further delay the return.  The State Department insisted that I send all documents to the mother and that she would need to apply for the U.S. passport.

I am certain the State Department has good reasons for these guidelines and there maybe reason which I don't know or don't understand.  Now, looking very practically at what this has done to my case, it's pretty much looks like a disaster... As I suspected, the mother was not able or willing to schedule and appointment at the U.S. Consulate and until today no U.S. passport was applied for.  Worse, the mother took this delay as an opportunity to sue me for about R$50k missing child support payments (child support was suspended in NJ court, but is due according to Rio court) and an arrest order has been issued against me.  I am not giving up hope, while it seems unlikely that anything will be resolved anytime soon or this year, instead I am looking at more delays and more costs (so far $75k and counting)...

The State Department should really look into revising their passport guidelines to protect the interests of U.S. citizens like my daughter.  Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if Sean Goldman had a valid U.S. passport, when he returned? 

Klaus

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »
After calling the US State Dept. to report my son's abduction and having a conversation with my caseworker my first impression was "my God, they've put the Department of Motor Vehicles in charge of returning my son."  In the two and half years that have passed since then my impression has not changed.

Work with your Congressmen and Senators and the authorities in Brazil.  Working with State directly is a waste of time as often as not.  They're primary responsibility is to tell you what they "can't do."

Have you tried working with the US Embassy in Brazil directly?
― Rumi

Offline KBZensen

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »
The State Department indicated I should go back to the Brazilian court and ask the Brazilian judge to ask the mother (issue an order?) to apply for my daughter's U.S. passport...  I do not see any realistic chance that the mother will apply herself for my daughter's U.S. passport and after 07 years in NJ and Brazilian courts I am very tired of the legal process.  I am also not sure if I should spend $$$ for another hearing with very likely no tangible result.  The fact that I had all documents for my daughter's U.S. passport in my hands (U.S. birth certificate, passport authorization for my daughter signed by mother, all other necessary documents), but was not able to apply for it here in the U.S. is still hurting... after 07 years in courts fighting for access to my daughter I finally had the NJ and Brazilian court orders in hands and the mother had accepted the ruling for my daughter's visit in the U.S.   I was so close to the finish line of this 07-year marathon and then it felt like someone stabbed me in the back.  I surely have no intentions to now put all the blame on the State Department or to create a new Stab-in-the-back legend, while this final (?) problem was really not expected at all.  I am a German citizen on an investor visa in the U.S. (my daughter is U.S. citizen by birth), and I now plan to investigate if I can obtain a German/European passport for my daughter.  If so, my daughter could visit me in the U.S. with a German passport and based on the Brazilian court order.  Under the Visa Waiver Program, she could stay up to 90 days as a "tourist" in the U.S., which is actually her own country, but she cannot get a passport of her own country.  At age 08, she will probably not care much if she travels on an American or a German passport, but I am sure she will be very happy to finally spend time with her Daddy and that is all we are looking for all these years...
Klaus

Offline ProudDaddy

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
The State Department indicated I should go back to the Brazilian court and ask the Brazilian judge to ask the mother (issue an order?) to apply for my daughter's U.S. passport...  I do not see any realistic chance that the mother will apply herself for my daughter's U.S. passport and after 07 years in NJ and Brazilian courts I am very tired of the legal process.  I am also not sure if I should spend $$$ for another hearing with very likely no tangible result.  The fact that I had all documents for my daughter's U.S. passport in my hands (U.S. birth certificate, passport authorization for my daughter signed by mother, all other necessary documents), but was not able to apply for it here in the U.S. is still hurting... after 07 years in courts fighting for access to my daughter I finally had the NJ and Brazilian court orders in hands and the mother had accepted the ruling for my daughter's visit in the U.S.   I was so close to the finish line of this 07-year marathon and then it felt like someone stabbed me in the back.  I surely have no intentions to now put all the blame on the State Department or to create a new Stab-in-the-back legend, while this final (?) problem was really not expected at all.  I am a German citizen on an investor visa in the U.S. (my daughter is U.S. citizen by birth), and I now plan to investigate if I can obtain a German/European passport for my daughter.  If so, my daughter could visit me in the U.S. with a German passport and based on the Brazilian court order.  Under the Visa Waiver Program, she could stay up to 90 days as a "tourist" in the U.S., which is actually her own country, but she cannot get a passport of her own country.  At age 08, she will probably not care much if she travels on an American or a German passport, but I am sure she will be very happy to finally spend time with her Daddy and that is all we are looking for all these years...
Klaus

Having a EU passport will be a good thing to your daughter (who I suppose already have a Brazilian passport). But why can't you apply yourself for a US passport? She is a US citizen, right?

Anyway I am very sorry that you can't have your child with you, hope you can overcome this very soon.

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
This is awful.

It's just amazing how little our government is willing to so for our children.

I just posted about the same thing here:

http://bringseanhome.org/forums/index.php/topic,3697.msg77105.html#new

Just unbelievable that you have to get a German passport to be able to bring your daughter to visit you in the US..

Have you tried talking to your US Senators or getting in touch with Chris Smith's office?
― Rumi

Offline KBZensen

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 11:02:46 PM »
This is awful.

It's just amazing how little our government is willing to so for our children.

I just posted about the same thing here:

http://bringseanhome.org/forums/index.php/topic,3697.msg77105.html#new

Just unbelievable that you have to get a German passport to be able to bring your daughter to visit you in the US..

Have you tried talking to your US Senators or getting in touch with Chris Smith's office?

I have not talked to Chris Smith's office, but several other politicians... Even though my daughter is U.S. citizen by birth, and that is the only thing that should matter, the interest to get involved in my daughter's case was limited after all of them asked me if I was a U.S. citizen and I am not.
Klaus

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:39 PM »
I have not talked to Chris Smith's office, but several other politicians... Even though my daughter is U.S. citizen by birth, and that is the only thing that should matter, the interest to get involved in my daughter's case was limited after all of them asked me if I was a U.S. citizen and I am not.
Klaus

That's really pathetic. You are the only voice your daughter has in the US and she's an American citizen. She's too young to ask for the help herself, and yet they blow you off by telling you sorry, we can't help you because you're not American? I lose more and more faith in these elected officials on a daily basis. Which elected officials have you approached about this issue?

I think you should get your story in front of Chris Smith. Send me a PM.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:26:21 PM by LukieD »

Offline KBZensen

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 10:47:10 AM »
Klaus

That's really pathetic. You are the only voice your daughter has in the US and she's an American citizen. She's too young to ask for the help herself, and yet they blow you off by telling you sorry, we can't help you because you're not American? I lose more and more faith in these elected officials on a daily basis. Which elected officials have you approached about this issue?

I think you should get your story in front of Chris Smith. Send me a PM.

Thank you LukieD, fully agreed, I have been fighting for my daughter's rights as a U.S. citizen and my citizenship should not matter at all. 
I spoke to 01 politician in NJ and 02 in Washington about 12-18 months ago, their offices were published here on BSH, but I honestly don't remember their names.  Also, they did not tell me they cannot help me because I am not American, but they asked me "are you a citizen (of the U.S.)?" and I answered, "No, but I am legally in the U.S. on an E-2 investor visa."  Then there was this pause... and the calls were over quickly after... It crossed my mind that interest might be limited because I am not eligible to vote in the U.S., but I really don't want to go there.  I have fought a number of battles for my daughter and I decided not to pick the battle if elected U.S. politicians should hear me or not.  Also, I am running a company here in the U.S. and time is very limited, my focus is on activities that promise real progress for my daughter on the Brazilian front.
Klaus

Offline ananddad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »
The fact that I had all documents for my daughter's U.S. passport in my hands (U.S. birth certificate, passport authorization for my daughter signed by mother, all other necessary documents), but was not able to apply for it here in the U.S. is still hurting...
Klaus, if you had all the documents (including mother's authorization), why could you not apply for a passport for her in the US or in Brazil?
"In the end, everything will be okay. If it's not okay, then you have not reached the end." -- Unknown.