Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Conference call with BCA, US State Department on Thursday  (Read 2748 times)

Offline NoansDad

• Left Behind Parent
Conference call with BCA, US State Department on Thursday
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
Daisy Cardiel has set up a conference call with the BCA, the State Department, my Brasilian Lawyer, myself and a contact at my Senators office for Thursday at 1pm regarding my pending Hague case.

Anyone have any suggestions on any points I should be making on this call?

Thanks in advance.
Noan, your Dad loves you and misses you every single day.

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
Re: Conference call with BCA, US State Department on Thursday
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
I'm not sure what will come of the meeting other than false hope. I guess you should ask how you will be kept informed (that's what your private attorney will probably do), what support your legislator will give you (probably none if he/she is like most) and how the BCA could facilitate negotiations because litigation is likely to go nowhere. Hopefully, you will get the same case manager at the BCA that recently took my case because he is the only proactive person in either the BCA or OCI so far.

By the way, this conference call is more than I ever got from the OCI and Daisy Cardiel has been handling my case for over 2 years.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
Re: Conference call with BCA, US State Department on Thursday
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »
Daisy Cardiel has set up a conference call with the BCA, the State Department, my Brasilian Lawyer, myself and a contact at my Senators office for Thursday at 1pm regarding my pending Hague case.

Anyone have any suggestions on any points I should be making on this call?

Thanks in advance.

Simon,

Ask them point blank what steps Brazil has taken to improve its handling of incoming abduction cases since our State Dept labeled them non-compliant last year in their annual report to Congress. Tell them you're a member of BSHF and you've been in contact with other left-behind parents with kids in Brazil whose Hague cases have gone no where since Sean Goldman was returned. Mention the names -- Davenport, Birotte, Weinstein, Pate and so on.

Tell them you have been watching other Hague cases in Brazil closely, and you're concerned that there has not been more progress in the way the Brazilian courts handle these cases. You can mention the Kelvin Birotte case in particular and the fact that despite the return order from the first level federal court, the appeal stayed the return and the child is still there while the clock ticks and the kids grow up.

Be direct and ask tough questions about their abysmal track record with these cases.