Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dateline to air update on McCarty case Sunday April 3, 7pm  (Read 14784 times)

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
Dateline to air update on McCarty case Sunday April 3, 7pm
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
We have been informed that Dateline NBC will air an update to the Liam McCarty abduction case this Sunday, April 3, at 7pm. Please tune in.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
Re: Dateline to air update on McCarty case Sunday April 3, 7pm
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
We have been informed that Dateline NBC will air an update to the Liam McCarty abduction case this Sunday, April 3, at 7pm. Please tune in.

We've also been told by NBC that at the end of the update on the McCarty case tonight, Dateline is going to tease a full one hour update on the Goldman case which we expect to air right around the time of the book release, probably Sunday May 8th.

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
I'll be watching this for sure! 

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
I can't believe that child is still in Italy.  If Michael had been the one to break the law, mom would have been able to take Liam anywhere.  
Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:52:24 PM by lovellboys »

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »
I can't believe that child is still in Italy.  If Michael had been the one to break the law, mom would have been able to take Liam anywhere.  
Unbelievable.

I doubt that. There's an abduction case to Italy by a father I know about where the daughter wants to come back to the US and has even tried to request her passport at the US embassy but has been refused.

Offline Nicole's Dad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:40:18 PM »
It's nice to see Dateline doing this but they suck for not advocating on behalf of the other LBP's that have children down there. That little boy is home. Why don't they put any time towards bringing awareness to the NATIONWIDE issue of parental child abduction? But as usual everybody wants to sensationalize on one case not all of them. Tim Weinstein's case is an example of a travesty. Is he gettign any press from any of this? NO!!! I work for the same parent company that owns NBC and Dateline won't even talk to me. They suck!!!!!!

Offline Diane

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
Just finished watching the McCarty case on NBC.   Incredulous, the run around given to this man and his son by the Italian court system.  The monumental effort to regain custody of his son.  Unbelievable.   So upset,  I just climbed into bed to try to sleep and then it hit me.   Out of all the unfair and villainousness acts and words of that presentation, without question the coldest and most uncaring person portrayed was our own representative from the OCI, the U.S. state dept.  Inept, unfeeling, uncaring, and lukewarm to the issue in every way.   That was my personal impression of this woman.   Now I know why they were compared with the Dept of Motor Vehicle agency.   Pathetic.   

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:47:36 PM »
It's nice to see Dateline doing this but they suck for not advocating on behalf of the other LBP's that have children down there. That little boy is home.

If you're talking about Liam, he's still in Italy. He's no longer in an orphanage and his mother doesn't have contact with him anymore, but it doesn't look like he's coming back to the US any time soon.

Offline Nicole's Dad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 02:08:05 PM »
I'm talking about Sean. He is home. Let's move on to other children that need help. Everybody keeps sensationalizing the story with him. Even Dateline does it. What have they done for other LBP's? Have they tried to run stories on them? NO they have not. Not unless it benefits their ratings.

Why don't they run a story or dedicate an hour to how the US State Department has failed us all? They are investigative reporters right? Go investigate it. The numbers and failures are staggering. They should should be ashamed of themselves.

Offline sara

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
I'm talking about Sean. He is home. Let's move on to other children that need help. Everybody keeps sensationalizing the story with him. Even Dateline does it. What have they done for other LBP's? Have they tried to run stories on them? NO they have not. Not unless it benefits their ratings.

Why don't they run a story or dedicate an hour to how the US State Department has failed us all? They are investigative reporters right? Go investigate it. The numbers and failures are staggering. They should should be ashamed of themselves.

Nicole's Dad,
 Well, 1st, Dateline is in business to make money and get ratings. 2nd, isn't obligated to run a story on any child abduction issues or cases. 3rd, they just ran a case last night about another child. 4th they did call out the government in last night's segment, with Susan Jacobs, which may stir the pot and they did so as well in the Goldman case and we saw the results. 5th, I don't see other networks doing much, if anything at all. 6th, any discussions or broadcasts on a national level about international child abduction are only positive because it does keep this tragic issue alive. I agree the numbers of international child abductions are staggering,  Dateline should be praised for covering these cases not bashed. Bash the networks and shows that do nothing. Your anger is misdirected, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:33:04 PM by LukieD »

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:16 PM »
Why don't they run a story or dedicate an hour to how the US State Department has failed us all? They are investigative reporters right? Go investigate it. The numbers and failures are staggering.
Probably about a year ago, I had many conversations with a producer from Dateline about this topic. I referred her to many examples of this. They know the story, and supposedly she brought it up more than once at meetings, but as Sara said, the big bosses don't think it will get them the ratings (which is all they are really about).

Offline Nicole's Dad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:07:28 PM »
Thank you for the commentary Sara. I feel so liberated now. Are you a LBP? Has your child been snatched away from you? I do not know but if not, then don't try to tell me how to direct my anger. That's my decision not yours. I've been pissed off for over 4.5 years and the focus is all in the wrong place and until it gets in the right place, I'll continue to have DIRECTED anger towards any network I feel needs to be lashed out at. I guess you didn't read anything else I wrote other than the fact that I bashed NBC. You're barking and growling up the wrong tree.

And there HAVE been other networks running stories. ABC ran a double segment on World News and Nightline on the numerous Japanese abductions. I have been interviewed numerous times by Fox. Would you like for me to stagger you with statistics? I know more about parental child abduction thing than you might think I do so don't try to direct me or my anger. I hope you have an awesome day.

Offline sara

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
Nicole's dad,
Believe me, I understand your frustrations. You can get angry at me, and every one else, but it's a waist of energy. Energy that you need to get through everyday. Energy that you need to complete your mission. Energy to have when you need it most. Bashing a national broadcasted television show for doing an hour long segment on a child abduction case and a follow up on another is a waist of energy and not productive, in fact it's counter productive. Keep hoping even if it's dwindling, it's hope and without it, what is there? We're here to support the issue and keep the issue and the cause alive for you and every parent and child that has been torn apart.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:11:03 PM by sara »

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Thank you for the commentary Sara. I feel so liberated now. Are you a LBP? Has your child been snatched away from you? I do not know but if not, then don't try to tell me how to direct my anger. That's my decision not yours. I've been pissed off for over 4.5 years and the focus is all in the wrong place and until it gets in the right place, I'll continue to have DIRECTED anger towards any network I feel needs to be lashed out at. I guess you didn't read anything else I wrote other than the fact that I bashed NBC. You're barking and growling up the wrong tree.

And there HAVE been other networks running stories. ABC ran a double segment on World News and Nightline on the numerous Japanese abductions. I have been interviewed numerous times by Fox. Would you like for me to stagger you with statistics? I know more about parental child abduction thing than you might think I do so don't try to direct me or my anger. I hope you have an awesome day.

Almost every news story I see or read about international child abductions, except the times I've seen you interviewed, has failed to call any attention to the complicit role our own government plays in the abduction of our children or point out just how many children are taken to so many different countries.

Still I do agree that having Dateline go in depth on individual case is beneficial to raising awareness of the issue generally, and almost any coverage is better than none.  It frustrates me too that they won't even point out how many other cases there are, but if they can help the public understand one of these cases well that can be a key to helping people understand all of these cases.  The story is almost always the same.  Details may change but the overall narrative is pretty consistent.  US immigrant takes the kids and returns to his/her country of origin.  If the abductor is a women, she claims she's a victim of domestic violence.  Foreign courts drag their feet for years without making a final decision.  US State Dept. does nothing to help.
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline Diane

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:57 AM »
I agree that it is a disservice when the networks address the abduction of a single child without pointing out the thousands of others.   It gives the perception that if we can just get this child back, all will be well.

It is the perfect platform for drawing attention to the issue as a whole.  The enormity and sheer number of parents and children going through this might be a factor in bringing about support for change and passage for resolution 3240. or pressure on the state dept. legislators, even the president.

If they only  gave statistics and some editorial comments, about the thousands of others it would aid in awareness of the scope of the struggle and the heartache that absolutely parallels the Goldmans, McCartys, and the few others they have showcased in the past.