Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dateline to air update on McCarty case Sunday April 3, 7pm  (Read 12846 times)

Offline tstravis

Re: Dateline to air update on McCarty case Sunday April 3, 7pm
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:41 AM »
Well, back to Liam... I really admire Michael McCarty for not giving up... who knows if he will ever get Liam back, but i was so glad to see that he got to reconnect with Liam.. Liam looked like such a happy kid when he was with his dad.  The love between them is not going to be denied - by his ex, or the ridiculous Italian court system.  And i agree, shame on Susan Jacobs, or rather shame on all of us for paying a government official for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and freely admitting it! (oh, i forgot, they are "monitoring the situation")

Offline sue

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »
Well, back to Liam... I really admire Michael McCarty for not giving up... who knows if he will ever get Liam back, but i was so glad to see that he got to reconnect with Liam.. Liam looked like such a happy kid when he was with his dad.  The love between them is not going to be denied - by his ex, or the ridiculous Italian court system.  And i agree, shame on Susan Jacobs, or rather shame on all of us for paying a government official for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and freely admitting it! (oh, i forgot, they are "monitoring the situation")

I agree, shame on Susan Jacobs.  It's embarrassing that our Country does nothing to help and doesn't seem to give a damn.

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »
I agree, shame on Susan Jacobs.  It's embarrassing that our Country does nothing to help and doesn't seem to give a damn.

I don't really blame her so much.  She's a career Foreign Service Officer whose not about to rock the boat at State.  That's precisely why they put her there instead of selecting an outsider for the position.  The status quo for the handling of these cases was in place long before they tried to preempt the creation of an "Ambassador at Large," as called for under HR 3240, by creating a "Special Advisor."

Like everything else they've done over the past 30 years from "monitoring the situation" to "working quietly behind the scenes" (so quietly that, literally, no one can ever hear or see them) it's all about giving the appearance of doing something without doing anything.  The culture of State is one of chronic clientitis.  They are more cheerleaders for foreign countries abducting American children than they are advocates for American parents of those children in foreign countries.

Whether she know it or not they brought her on to advocate for the State Dept with the American public not to advocate for the public (eg abducted children and families) abroad.  If they were serious about addressing the abduction of American children they would have sent her to Latin America first.  65% of all abducted American children are taken there and all of the currently designated "noncompliant" countries are in that region.  Actually, I think she's been to Latin America but only in the context of international adoption.  Going there to discuss international abduction might attract some real media attention and discussion.  Better to send her to Zimbabwe and Madagascar to try to get them to sign a Convention that is rendered all but useless by the complete lack of attention that is paid to non-compliance.

“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline Lexi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
I believe it was Chris Cuomo at ABC that first covered Michael McCarty's story. ABC has actually covered a number of others cases as well, including one that same night about an American man whose ex-wife had abandoned their child at a convent in Italy. Another case was about an American woman whose daughter was abducted to Egypt (El-Goharry). I can't seem to find it right now, but some time back I had posted about the cases ABC covered - at least of those I had seen.

On the one hand, I think it's helpful that the networks highlight these individual cases because it gives the public some insight into the experience of left-behind parents in a more detailed way that most people can empathize with. That said, I agree that in the interest of accuracy and context, during the program they really ought to at least mention that these cases are part of a widespread problem. One yet to be properly addressed by the government.

About ratings, for sure the media makes choices based on ratings, but I don't think we should be lulled into believing that's all they're obligated to do. As long as they still consider themselves serious news organizations, they have a responsibility to hold the government to account, especially when it pertains to issues that are as profound and damaging as international child abduction.

For instance, media organizations will sometimes sue to gain access to information and the argument they often make is that it's in the public interest. Well, informing the public about this issue is also "in the public interest". It's not just time for that to happen - it's way past due for that to happen.

Something else I want to mention, there's a tenet within the journalistic code of ethics called the "harm limitation principle". I reminded CBS of this when they used the videotape of Sean's meeting with the Brazilian psychologist to promote their "interview" (a.k.a coffee klatch) with Silvana and company. Some of the elements within that principle are:

• Show good taste. Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity.
  • Use special sensitivity when dealing with children
  • Be sensitive when seeking or using interviews or photographs of those affected by tragedy or grief.

Seems to me they violated those principles. So anyway, I'm not posting that merely as an opportunity to bash CBS - this issue goes beyond any one news organization. My point is while I appreciate even this level of coverage, there needs to be way more done and as citizens in democratic countries we shouldn't be reticent to hold the media to some standards.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 03:07:39 PM by Lexi »