Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eli Edwards-Kiraz  (Read 9341 times)

Offline Bob D'Amico

• Veteran Member
    • Bring Sean Home Foundation
Eli Edwards-Kiraz
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Sara Edwards is Eli's mother and it's been a year since he was kidnapped by his father and taken to Turkey. You can find more information on the case, including two videos, on Sara's website:

http://www.bringelihome.com/

On March 4th, 2010, two year old Eli Kiraz became the victim of parental abduction.

It was on this date that Eli traveled with his father, Muhammed Kiraz, on a planned trip to Turkey to visit relatives there. What I, Sara Edwards, Eli’s mother, didn’t know was that Muhammed had no intention of returning to Ohio and that he had secured a quickie divorce just days after arriving in Turkey.

I have fought for custody of Eli in the Ohio courts, and Muhammed has defied court orders to return Eli to the United States where Muhammed and I were married in 2003, where Eli was born in 2008, and where we had always resided as a family.

While the emotional toll of Eli’s kidnapping is beyond calculation, the financial cost is not. Since April 2010, I have organized community rummage sales and various benefits which, along with individual monetary gifts, have succeeded in keeping the legal battle funded. Still, the urgency of the matter cannot be overstated – Eli will be 3 years old in January, a birthday that will likely pass without Eli in my arms – and the efforts to keep the fight going cannot slow down.

This is not just some sad story, ‘a shame’ to shake one’s head at and say ‘that’s too bad.’ Instead, this is a sad story that can have a happy ending. This is the story of a battle than can be won.  It is not ‘a shame’ that I will give my all and find every way that I can to fight for my child. It is not ‘a shame’ that other people will learn from my struggle and protect their own children.  What would be ‘a shame’ is if people who want to help feel that they don’t know how, when it is as easy as donating used items for rummage sale, as easy as forwarding emails and sharing our story, as easy as writing letters and helping with events, as easy as donating $10.

If this was your story, if this was your child, how could you let lack of money be the thing that stops you from holding your child again?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:54:23 PM by Bob D'Amico »
Bob D'Amico

Offline jenicoy

Re: Eli Edwards-Kiraz
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
Just saw this on facebook.  Very happy for Sara. 

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/204129/3/Akron-Mother-temporarily-reunites-with-kidnapped-son?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Ct

AKRON -- Sara Edwards said she had no tears left. She'd cried until she could cry no more over the loss of her toddler son in early 2010. So seeing him briefly last week was almost more than Edwards could handle.

Edwards pleaded her case to a judge in Turkey that her estranged husband had taken Eli was holding the boy illegally.

After the hearing, Edwards was permitted to see Eli briefly at a local zoo and spend a few hours reconnecting before boarding a return flight to Ohio. Edwards had not expected to see Eli on the visit, so she had prepared herself emotionally for disappointment.

The Akron mother had not seen Eli since March, 2010. That's when Eli's father, Muhammed Kiraz, signed documents promising to return the boy to Akron after a two-week visit to Kiraz's home country of Turkey. However, once the pair reached Europe, Kiraz filed for a hasty divorce and sent Edwards an email telling her he would never return the boy to her.

Eli was 2 years old when he boarded that flight, but now he's a 3-and-a-half. She's been detailing her plight online for more than a year.

Edwards said she was encouraged by the testimony of Turkish prosecutors who agreed that Eli's custody and citizenship mandate his return to the United States. The next hearing is set for mid-September.

Offline Bob D'Amico

• Veteran Member
    • Bring Sean Home Foundation
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:29:25 PM »
Picture from Facebook page Bringing Eli Home https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bringing-Eli-Home/107675875938913
Bob D'Amico

Offline Diane

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »
Glad to see an update On Eli and his Mom.  It is encouraging that the prosecutors in Turkey are pleading her case for his return.  I pray that the Sept. hearing generates a positive outcome.  She is a truly courageous and resourceful,   person with her  efforts to raise money,  to testify at the hearing, going to Turkey,  the   emotional stress, and all other issues of traveling in another country alone.   Like other parents here, the return of their child has made them heroic in a way they never wanted.  Prayers, for you Sara and Eli, and will be watching in Sept.   Diane

BTW,  will be watching to see how much assistance is offered to her by Susan Jacops and others at the OCI.

Offline ANALE

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:34 PM »
Am thrilled that you got to hold Eli however brief it was.  Hoping and praying for you that it will be permanent soon!!!

Offline momoftwo

• This is the last time I saw my nephew, Sage
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:37 AM »
What a beautiful picture...what a happy little boy to be with his mama! 

Sara, my heart broke for you when I heard your story this past May in Washington D.C.  I will continue to pray for you, my brother, and all LBP's here on BSH, and will continue to do whatever I can to help get these kids home.

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »
Am thrilled that you got to hold Eli however brief it was.  Hoping and praying for you that it will be permanent soon!!!

:yeahthat   So happy she got to see her smiling little boy!