Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Some good news to report from BSHF  (Read 9777 times)

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
Some good news to report from BSHF
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
I wanted to share with all of you some very good news we received today on two fronts.

1. We have been told that there will be a hearing on May 26th in the House of Representatives on the issue of international child abduction. We are still waiting for confirmation of the specifics but obviously this is great news and we will share more information with you when we have the details.

2. I spoke to David Goldman today who informed me that he received a call this morning from Brazil letting him know that Deppy and Dior Connor are on their way home from Brazil to Australia (photo of the boys below). The boys were abducted to Brazil last October and their father, Cameron Connor, was put in touch with David and the BSHF through the NCMEC. We have been assisting Cameron on a number of fronts and were absolutely thrilled with the news that his nightmare appears to finally be coming to and end. When we have more details on the return and how it played out, we will let you know. For all of the other left-behind parents with children still in Brazil, this is a very positive development so please don't give up hope.

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
Re: Some good news to report from BSHF
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:13:47 PM »
I wanted to share with all of you some very good news we received today on two fronts.

1. We have been told that there will be a hearing on May 26th in the House of Representatives on the issue of international child abduction. We are still waiting for confirmation of the specifics but obviously this is great news and we will share more information with you when we have the details.

2. I spoke to David Goldman today who informed me that he received a call this morning from Brazil letting him know that Deppy and Dior Connor are on their way home from Brazil to Australia (photo of the boys below). The boys were abducted to Brazil last October and their father, Cameron Connor, was put in touch with David and the BSHF through the NCMEC. We have been assisting Cameron on a number of fronts and were absolutely thrilled with the news that his nightmare appears to finally be coming to and end. When we have more details on the return and how it played out, we will let you know. For all of the other left-behind parents with children still in Brazil, this is a very positive development so please don't give up hope.
That's good news, though my understanding is that every return from Brazil to Australia has been a voluntary return. This sounds like yet another.

Offline NoansDad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
Confirmation that I got a Skype notification from Cameron in another South American city that he got himself and his kids to after his court win. He and I had been Skyping during the last week of his trial and at one point he was worried his ex had taken off again with the boys. I was tensely waiting to see how it all played out as my court case will be coming along soon in Rio.

When I saw his message this afternoon when I got home from work I was so bloody happy. His wife had taken the kids from my home town back in Australia and he had contacted me after his lawyer had received an email about my little boy. So he has really lifted my spirits by pulling off a Houdini and getting the boys on the way to being home.

In fact he is Skyping me right now so I have to see how he did it.
Noan, your Dad loves you and misses you every single day.

Offline JustinB

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
That's good news, though my understanding is that every return from Brazil to Australia has been a voluntary return. This sounds like yet another.

The good news is, I believe it wasn't voluntary

Offline NoansDad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
No it was not voluntary.
Noan, your Dad loves you and misses you every single day.

Offline liesl78

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
A court-ordered return happened? That's great news! Now the healing begins...
Liesl78
BringSeanHome.org

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
While it should have been six weeks, six months is still better than six years. I believe that Cameron was fortunate to have a judge who understands the Hague Convention and was not in the mood for the mother's BS and never-ending excuses. And for that, we can all be grateful. Let's hope this return paves the way for others.

Cameron, if you're reading this, best of luck to you with your boys and congratulations on your dedication and perseverance.

Offline Liberty

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 04:51:07 AM »
What a wonderful outcome to a potential tragedy.  Perhaps after all the publicity in Brazil about David and Sean the legal system there is waking up to the fact that there are problems, and solutions.  Cheers to this particular judge for doing the RIGHT thing.

Offline rduffiel

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:38 AM »
Hopefully, the tide is turning in Brazil.   Praise God, another child has returned home.
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.  ~Alfred Lord Tennyson

Rose

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
  • Twitter: @Capestro
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »

:yeahthat

Congratulations to the Connors! And to the judge in Brazil - Thank you!

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:15 AM »

:yeahthat

Congratulations to the Connors! And to the judge in Brazil - Thank you!

Thankfully there are at least a few judges down there who can properly interpret international law.

Offline todez

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »
Have any of the networks picked up on this?

Offline JustinB

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 09:52:58 AM »
Have any of the networks picked up on this?

Very unlikely, I haven't been in touch with them.

Offline JustinB

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »

Thankfully there are at least a few judges down there who can properly interpret international law.

The judge that dealt with the case was fantastic and asked all the right questions. She had a good, if not perfect understanding of the Hague Convention and treated the case as an abduction and not a custody case.

:biggrin

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

The judge that dealt with the case was fantastic and asked all the right questions. She had a good, if not perfect understanding of the Hague Convention and treated the case as an abduction and not a custody case.

:biggrin
Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that this sets any type of precedent for the rest of us LBPs. It looks like Mr. Connor was very fortunate to get one of the few judges who saw the situation for what it was. There have been calls in the past to have all cases heard by a handful of judges so that there is uniformity. This case screams to the need for this to happen yesterday.