Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A father's long, fierce fight to get his son back  (Read 5877 times)

Offline a.marcos

A father's long, fierce fight to get his son back
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/124333989_A_father_s_long__fierce_fight_to_get_his_son_back_.html

Wednesday, June 22, 2011    Last updated: Wednesday June 22, 2011, 5:18 PM
BY VIRGINIA ROHAN
STAFF WRITER
The Record
Print | E-mail When David Goldman talks about his 11-year-old son Sean, he sounds like the average proud father.

"He had his first playoff game yesterday and he went three for three. He even got a hit off one of the best pitchers in the league, and he was very instrumental in … keeping the team in the game," says Goldman, a lifelong Monmouth County resident who has a charter fishing business. "And he caught a 38-pound striped bass a couple of days ago on my afternoon charter."

This father-son tale is actually anything but typical, though. Normalcy was something Goldman had to fiercely fight for — a story he tells in his new book, "A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home."

IF YOU GO
WHO: David Goldman.

WHAT: Signing his book "A Father's Love."

WHEN: 7 p.m. Thursday.

WHERE: Bookends, 211 E. Ridgewood Ave., Ridgewood; 201-445-0726 or book-ends.com.

HOW MUCH: Free with purchase of the book at Bookends ($26.95).
On June 16, 2004, Goldman's wife Bruna took off from Newark Liberty International Airport with then 4-year-old Sean on a two-week trip to her native Brazil.

Half a decade passed before Goldman saw his son again.

"We lost 5 1/2 years that we can never get back," he says. "No matter how great things are now, I missed his first tooth falling out, I missed five birthdays, I missed holidays. We missed them."

In Goldman's telling, he'd had a "storybook romance" with Sean's mother, whom he'd met in 1997 in Milan, where she was studying for her master's degree in fashion design and he was working as a model.

Goldman had stumbled into that career during a summer break from college, while lifeguarding at 10th Avenue in Belmar. Asked to be in some beach shots for a catalog, he wound up posing with Kathy Ireland.

Goldman's modeling work took him to Japan and Europe. In Milan, he and Bruna Bianchi Carneiro Ribeiro, a neighbor in his apartment building, fell in love. They married in 1999, and Sean was born the following year. They bought a house in Tinton Falls. Bruna's parents, Ray and Silvana Ribeiro, even bought a condo in Sea Bright.

Goldman thought they were one big happy family — until June 20, 2004, when Bruna called from Brazil to say, "Our love affair is over. I've decided to stay in Brazil. I'm keeping Sean here with me." (Her American friends would later say Bruna's only hint of complaint was that the couple were not rich.)

Thus began a long period of dark days for a shocked Goldman. His attorneys — in the U.S. and Brazil — decided to file for help under the Hague Convention, a treaty, signed by more than 80 countries, that agrees upon principles and actions to remedy international parental child abduction.

On Aug. 22, 2008, Bruna, who had secured a Brazilian divorce and remarried, died in Brazil — which Goldman discovered two weeks later. She bled to death after giving birth to a healthy daughter. Bruna's parents, along with her second husband, a member of a rich and powerful family, took up the fight to keep Sean in Brazil, tying Goldman up in one legal challenge after another.

"You just have to be patient and let the truth speak with love and patience and understanding," he says. "And in my case, there were enough other people to get angry for me."

Among those who championed Goldman's cause was U.S. Rep. Chris Smith (R-Gloucester County). Later in the fight, Sen. Frank Lautenberg offered crucial help, as did Bernie Aronson, former assistant secretary of state for Inter-American Affairs. With his help, the case even got the attention of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Obama.

Media coverage was also instrumental in turning things around.

On Christmas Eve 2009, Goldman finally left Brazil with Sean.

The Ribeiros continued to challenge the Hague Convention decision, both in Brazil and New Jersey. On Feb. 17, 2011, the Superior Court of New Jersey dismissed the Ribeiros' case.

Sean is thriving, his dad says. "He loves the sea. He loves anything outdoors. He lived a very sedentary lifestyle [in Brazil] , but really, he loves being a kid and he loves being able to do what kids do," says Goldman. "Little people shouldn't have such big problems. The problem that he should have is, 'Gee, Dad, I don't know if I want chocolate or strawberry.' 'Can I stay up later?' 'Can I watch this one more show?' 'Do I have to do this reading now?' Those are the things that are normal for a kid his age, and that's exactly where he is. And it's so great."

E-mail: rohan@northjersey.com

Offline StrngConviction

• Left Behind Parent
Re: A father's long, fierce fight to get his son back
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
^5
Behind this smile is something only we LBP understand.
                May God be with ALL our children.

Offline Roberta Palermo

• http://www.robertapalermo.com.br
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:49:44 AM »
And I am sooo happy! Roberta

"Sean is thriving, his dad says. "He loves the sea. He loves anything outdoors. He lived a very sedentary lifestyle [in Brazil] , but really, he loves being a kid and he loves being able to do what kids do," says Goldman. "Little people shouldn't have such big problems. The problem that he should have is, 'Gee, Dad, I don't know if I want chocolate or strawberry.' 'Can I stay up later?' 'Can I watch this one more show?' 'Do I have to do this reading now?' Those are the things that are normal for a kid his age, and that's exactly where he is. And it's so great."

Offline JuliRosi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
And I am sooo happy! Roberta

"Sean is thriving, his dad says. "He loves the sea. He loves anything outdoors. He lived a very sedentary lifestyle [in Brazil] , but really, he loves being a kid and he loves being able to do what kids do," says Goldman. "Little people shouldn't have such big problems. The problem that he should have is, 'Gee, Dad, I don't know if I want chocolate or strawberry.' 'Can I stay up later?' 'Can I watch this one more show?' 'Do I have to do this reading now?' Those are the things that are normal for a kid his age, and that's exactly where he is. And it's so great."

:yeahthat

Offline rduffiel

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
This is just more evidence that Sean should have always been with his dad.
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.  ~Alfred Lord Tennyson

Rose

Offline a.marcos

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
I just don't agree with one thing "He lived a very sedentary lifestyle [in Brazil] "
Sean used to play basketball,just like he uses to play nowadays,he practiced soccer,swimming and jiu jitsu...we saw his ex jiu jitsu teacher visit him and we saw his room,full of medals and trophies that he won at school and in a swimming competition

Offline sara

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
A.Marcos,
 I'm curious how do you know that Sean practiced soccer, basketball and swimming? Where did you see "his" room full of "his" trophies and medals he won at school and in a swimming competition? Thanks in advance for providing this information.

Offline ANALE

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:21:29 PM »
I think a picture is worth a thousand words.  Just look at the before and after pictures.  Sean looks much healthier because of the lifestyle that he is now leading.  Marcos, does that tell you something??

Offline Roberta Palermo

• http://www.robertapalermo.com.br
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
I understand this. My son is 9 years old, has his sports activities at school, practices swimming, already practiced judô, capoeira, ginástica olímpica. But I live in São Paulo, and in Rio de Janeiro is the same: we are afraid of everything. We don't walk at the streets, we don't open the cars windows. My son is learning how to ride a bicycle now. We live in a building and we are always lazy to go down to the garden or to a park close to our house with him. We do this during holidays, vacations. David lives in a perfect place for children. They play outside all the time, they ride bicycles everywhere. We have to agree that living in a house in a city like that is a paradise for children. Of course my son is a happy boy, but I see the difference when we travel to places like where David lives. My son practices sports, but he lives in a kind of sedentary lifestyle. Roberta

I just don't agree with one thing "He lived a very sedentary lifestyle [in Brazil] "
Sean used to play basketball,just like he uses to play nowadays,he practiced soccer,swimming and jiu jitsu...we saw his ex jiu jitsu teacher visit him and we saw his room,full of medals and trophies that he won at school and in a swimming competition

Offline a.marcos

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »
A.Marcos,
 I'm curious how do you know that Sean practiced soccer, basketball and swimming? Where did you see "his" room full of "his" trophies and medals he won at school and in a swimming competition? Thanks in advance for providing this information.

http://videos.r7.com/record-mostra-o-quarto-do-menino-sean-no-brasil/idmedia/9fdf53f01380a49bdb84a1eea15dff82-1.html

this video (but is in portuguese) was already shown here,it shows Sean's room in Brazil full of trophies and medals,the reporter Ana Paulo Gomes enters in the room and says (while the camera shows) "toys, books, photos and medals won by the school's basketball team..."..if you see 00:42 you'll see a  trophie written "parque aquático 2009" (aquatic park 2009),and a medal "torneio de inauguração" (Opening Tournament),the Tournament was a swimming competition in Búzios,the name was "parque aquatico Bruna Bianchi" , Sean practiced soccer in the school team "parque da bola"...in the report " a boy and two countries" says "Sean divide as manhãs entre aulas de basquete e jiu-jítsu." (Sean divides the mornings between basketball and jiu-jitsu classes.)..........the dateline from NBC (the first one,a long time ago) shows Sean with his friends in Brazil showing their medals when they won in the soccer.
There'a a picture of Sean with the school's soccer uniform,and the NBC already showed Sean playing basketball with his friends in Brazil,about  the jiu jitsu,we saw his ex-teacher

Offline StrngConviction

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
Now that is a devoted fan lol

Offline lovellboys

• Veteran Member
  • @lovellboys
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:16:55 PM »
a.marcos

Be careful not to believe everything you see.   It's very easy to create an image of a child having fun....if only for the photo opportunity.  For my money, I would take David's word for it.

Offline StrngConviction

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 07:42:14 PM »
A sedentary life  could be fun if you think an inactive life could be enjoyed by a 9y.o. Boy .
But to the point i think David was making is that beyond appearances Seans abductors proffered the public ,Seans personal life was a sedentary one meaning he lived within the restraints of the compound and not able to go out and enjoy the lifestyle of a normal , active ,young boy as he does now  at home.
 but i can also see exactly why A. Marcos made that statement . Was a very misleading picture of Seans sedentary life.

Offline a.marcos

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:28 PM »
A.Marcos,

http://videos.r7.com/record-mostra-o-quarto-do-menino-sean-no-brasil/idmedia/9fdf53f01380a49bdb84a1eea15dff82-1.html

this video (but is in portuguese) was already shown here,it shows Sean's room in Brazil full of trophies and medals,the reporter Ana Paulo Gomes enters in the room and says (while the camera shows) "toys, books, photos and medals won by the school's basketball team..."..if you see 00:42 you'll see a  trophie written "parque aquático 2009" (aquatic park 2009),and a medal "torneio de inauguração" (Opening Tournament),the Tournament was a swimming competition in Búzios,the name was "parque aquatico Bruna Bianchi" , Sean practiced soccer in the school team "parque da bola"...in the report " a boy and two countries" says "Sean divide as manhãs entre aulas de basquete e jiu-jítsu." (Sean divides the mornings between basketball and jiu-jitsu classes.)..........the dateline from NBC (the first one,a long time ago) shows Sean with his friends in Brazil showing their medals when they won in the soccer. There'a a picture of Sean with the school's soccer uniform,and the NBC already showed Sean playing basketball with his friends in Brazil,about  the jiu jitsu,we saw his ex-teacher

that's the pictures I was talking about

Offline Audax

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »

Sean doesn't even like soccer