Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Do Dads Have Any Rights?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline JuliRosi

• Veteran Member
Do Dads Have Any Rights?
« on: August 04, 2011, 05:35:19 AM »
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/freericardocosta/blog/6494
Do Dads Have Any Rights?

Posted on June 1, 2011

In a household where you have two parents, a Mom and a Dad, the Mom usually does most of the care-giving right? Not always, roles are evolving and there are far more single parents,  same sex parents or households where the Dad is the primary care-giver.

This is something I’ve really never thought about before because it didn’t apply to me, I’m married and a WAHM (Work at home Mom) and I do all of the typical Mommy stuff, give the baths, kiss the boo-boos, take them for their check ups and play dates, make the lunches and all that jazz.

So, recently I saw an old co-worker/friend’s name pop up on Facebook as a “suggested” friend. You know how it works, ‘You and Rico have 6 mutual friends’. So I sent him a friend request and I had no idea what I was about to get involved in!

Rico posted some news items, but they were in Portuguese and I couldn’t understand them. Then one day he posted a YouTube video in English, I watched it and was horrified!!! My friend was in the middle of getting a divorce, he had been separated from his wife and he (who had been the primary care giver for his 3 kids) was being accused of molesting his kids…WHAT, NEVER, how could that be??? I read on…

The wife and her therapist brought these charges up after she had been separated for over a year, that was strange…Rico was arrested and bail was set at 75 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!! A record, at least in the state of AZ. Michael Jackson’s bail was 3 Million and the bounty on Osama Bin Laden’s head was 25 Million, but Rico’s bail was 75 MILLION DOLLARS???

Then I read that the therapist had lost her license to practice in AZ and was being sued by 5 other Father’s whom she wrongly accused of similar misconducts. WHAT THE HELL?

So here he was arrested, 12 charges against him, 10 of those charges have since been dropped…the case seeming so flimsy. He has character witnesses galore and he just needed his day in court! Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock…days turning to weeks, weeks to months and months to years. Today marks his 893rd day behind bars, waiting for his “speedy trial”.

Every 15 days he is given the opportunity to sign a confession and walk out of jail with no extra time served. He has already served the sentence of a guilty man but maintains his innocence…which is turning out to be an even longer sentence!!

I was so bothered by this, it gave me a pit in my stomach for 2 days…I posted a note about this injustice on Facebook and Tweeted about it on Twitter. A friend who read my post said “There should be a march or protest.” I agreed. Now I have a protest scheduled for next Saturday at the detention center. I talked to some folks who had no idea this was going on and up till last week I had no idea this was happening.

WE NEED TO MAKE SOME NOISE HERE!!!!!!!

I called Senator McCain’s office today, his staff was very nice and they agreed to look into the matter if I could send them I signed statement from Rico. I also put the word out to Civil Rights Lawyers through Twitter, they are “Tweeting” about this case, that’s all good right?? I just wish people would stop being sad about injustice and start getting PROACTIVE!!! Like I always tell my son, don’t think about what you can’t do, think about what you CAN do!

I hope his story will be coming to an end soon. Who knows what toll this has taken on his children? Having their primary care-giver taken away and not seeing him for over 2.5 years. If this case was all an act of jealousy and vengeance what a terrible thing to put  these children through. I can’t help but wonder if the roles were reversed would the Mom have been jailed and lost in the system, forgotten?

Who is speaking up for the Dads?

What happened to innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty?

Speedy Trial?

Answers, anyone…..anyone??

More Info Here > http://www.slideshare.net/panhoca/ricardo-azevedo-costa-press-release

Offline AnotherDad

• Veteran Member
Re: Do Dads Have Any Rights?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:19:48 PM »
This story has a problem. It is written that the police bring this man a chance to get out every 15 days if he will sign a confession. In the US, this is a sign that he does not even have a free public defender, because a defendant with a lawyer would never be asked to sign a confession. Next is the bail amount.Any lawyer at all would be able to get around a bail that high by merely appealing the bail amount to another judge. I also believe that judges have maximum bail limits above which they cannot set anybody's bail for any crime. Frankly, I just flat do not believe this story or this bail amount. Anyway, the issue of staying in jail indefinitely is also a sign of no attorney. Any public defender could fix this problem easily. I'm sorry, this story just isn't real.

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
AnotherDad - It seems that she did set his bail at $75M.  It has been reduced to $2M, which I think it still high given that many in jail on murder charges have less bail than that.
 From the article:  http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=97230&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1087

The state appellate court ordered Yavapai County Superior Court Judge Tina Ainley to reset the $75 million bond, declaring it unconstitutionally excessive. It was one of the largest bail amounts on record in U.S. history.

Ainley lowered it to $2 million cash or security, saying Costa's lack of U.S. citizenship, the nature of the charges and the wishes of the alleged victim weighed in favor of a substantial bail amount.

"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 05:17:08 PM »
Another article about Ricardo Costa's case:
http://verdenews.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1190&ArticleID=44637

snipped from the article:

Costa is charged with two counts of continuous sexual abuse of a child. He originally faced a dozen counts of sexual misconduct and was not eligible for bond. Last year, those charges were thrown out, the two new charges were set, and Yavapai County Superior Court Judge Tina Ainley set his bond at an Arizona-record $75 million, cash only.

The Arizona Court of Appeals ruled that amount was excessive, and Ainley dropped it to $1 million. He has still been unable to bond out, his attorney claiming he could do no better than $25,000.

Costa has been in the Yavapai County jail since Dec. 19, 2008. A Brazilian citizen and longtime Sedona resident, Costa went to the Yavapai County Courthouse to deal with financial issues related to his divorce. Instead, he was arrested and charged with molesting children. His supporters claim his ex-wife falsely accused Costa to get back at him.
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline braziliandad

• Left Behind Parent
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
did they try to contact the Innocence Project?

Sounds like a slam dunk there. He probably could sue the state of AZ when it's all said and done.