Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Watkins Boys FOUND IN POLAND!  (Read 7483 times)

Offline L.E.R.P.

• Left Behind Parent
Failure is not defined by attempts to change what is wrong back to what is right; failure is defined by accepting what is wrong and doing nothing to change it!   L.E.R.P.

Offline forthelost

• For the Lost
Re: Watkins Boys FOUND IN POLAND!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »
I actually screamed when I saw this headline. I hope the boys are back home for Christmas.

Offline Bree

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:11:36 AM »
I actually screamed when I saw this headline. I hope the boys are back home for Christmas.

I didn't scream (my son is asleep) but I wanted to!  I know Stephen has a legal battle now in Poland, but Praise the Lord he at least knows where his boys are!!!  I hope the Polish legal system won't drag their feet, and will do the right thing, and send the boys back to Canada with their dad. 

Hoping for a "wheels up" soon for Stephen and his boys!
"Every parent who has a child and they tuck him in at night, or her in at night, and they wish the best and only the best and they will always protect the child and do whatever they can, but most of the time they don't have to prove it. I'm in the proving grounds, to myself and to my child.  I have to get him home and I will do whatever I have to. I'll never stop to save him."  --David Goldman

Offline rduffiel

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »

I didn't scream (my son is asleep) but I wanted to!  I know Stephen has a legal battle now in Poland, but Praise the Lord he at least knows where his boys are!!!  I hope the Polish legal system won't drag their feet, and will do the right thing, and send the boys back to Canada with their dad. 

Hoping for a "wheels up" soon for Stephen and his boys!
:yeahthat
Knowledge comes, but wisdom lingers.  ~Alfred Lord Tennyson

Rose

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
I'm in my office and can't watch the YouTube video now but I'm very excited to see the children have been found too.  Stephen has been struggling and searching to find his children for a very long time.

I'm still worried though.  Poland has a long and shameful history of noncompliance with the Hague Convention.  The country was just recently fined by the ECHR for taking years to handle a case and has been on the State Dept's noncompliance a number of times (and probably should never have been taking off, but State likes to play politics way too much.)

I hope the legal case for their return moves quickly and that they can have real visitation in Poland until then.  I saw Stephen post on his twitter that he would be in Poland for Christmas.  I hope they get to be together, in Poland at least, for Christmas.  I can't possibly imagine Polish courts resolving anything before then.
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi

Offline L.E.R.P.

• Left Behind Parent
Stephen Watkins see's his boys :)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »
The 40-year-old man got to see his sons for the first time just a few days ago, thanks to a court-issued access order. The short encounter was bittersweet.

“When I see my kids, they don’t call me daddy,” said Watkins. “They call me by my first name.” He accused his ex of brainwashing them.

Poland doesn’t have an extradition treaty with Canada. But it is party to The Hague Convention, which is meant to expedite the process of returning abducted children.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1100270

"Article 211" Polish Law: Criminal Offense. subject to the penalty of deprivation of liberty for up to 3 years. Also a Polish national who retains a child abroad shall be subject to penalty, if the act is punishable in the place where it has been committed.

http://www.hcch.net/upload/wop/prevmeas_pl.pdf

God Bless you and your boys
Failure is not defined by attempts to change what is wrong back to what is right; failure is defined by accepting what is wrong and doing nothing to change it!   L.E.R.P.

Offline ANALE

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 03:31:11 PM »
Here's hoping and praying for another "Christmas Miracle".

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
  • Twitter: @Capestro
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
Sad news for Stephen and his sons...

Newmarket dad loses Polish court battle for sons
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1103014

A Newmarket man has been denied the return of his two sons by a Polish court, according to a post on his Facebook page.

Stephen Watkins has been in Warsaw since late last month, where his ex-wife Edyta Watkins was found this summer with their sons Alexander, 10, and Christopher, 7. Police allege the boys’ mother, who was born in Poland, abducted them and took them to Europe in 2009.

The judge in Poland was to rule on whether it would be detrimental for the children to return to Canada if they are found to have fully integrated into Polish society.

In posting about the decision, Watkins wrote he feels “frustrated along with being very sad” but isn’t giving up in the international custody battle.

In an email to the Star late Thursday, Watkins said he plans to appeal the decision immediately. He won’t comment further until he’s fully briefed by his lawyer and other legal experts, he said.

A judge granted Watkins sole custody of the boys in January 2009. His ex-wife was given access to the children on weekends.

York Regional Police allege the mother fled the country with the boys into the U.S. in March 2009 and then flew to Germany.

A Canada-wide warrant for her arrest was issued along with an Interpol red notice advising other countries the warrant exists.

Watkins recently saw his children for the first time in more than two years. He said they didn’t call him “daddy” and used his first name instead. He said he believes the children have been brainwashed.

Poland doesn’t have an extradition treaty with Canada but it is party to The Hague Convention, which is meant to expedite the process of returning abducted children.

Offline SageDad

• Father of Sage
  • Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
    • HagueAbductions.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:46:52 AM »
Shocking results... only being partially sarcastic though. 

Poland deserves some credit for issuing a decision quickly rather than delaying for a year or two before saying the same thing.

Poland has a long history of noncompliance though, for the most part, noncompliance with the Abduction Convention, remains a total non-issue politically in spite of Congressman Smith's tremendous efforts.

There is no single issue of greater importance to the viability of the Convention yet, in the recent review session of the Abduction Convention by the Hague Permanent Bureau with contracting states, it was barely brought up at all even though the best statistics they had available (which undoubtedly underestimate the problem) only 46% of children abducted to Hague countries are ever returned. 
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi