Goldman Forums > “Heard in Rio”

ISTOE magazine - "Abducted by parents"

(1/4) > >>

André Felipe:
Hi everyone, long time since my last post.

I read this amazing report last month and I think it should be shared with you.
It´s about how the issue of abducetd children evolved in the last years in Brazil, and the increasing numbers of cases here, both brazilian kidnaped children and foreigner children brought to Brazil, and also how fast (and peharps abusive) some returns are being executed by the authorities.

Here´s the link: [size=78%]http://www.istoe.com.br/reportagens/paginar/214431_RAPTADAS+PELOS+PAIS/2[/size]

I´m in a hurry, sorry I could not post the google translated version of the report. I will comment it later.

Salutations

gil:
Thanks for posting. I would like to see a translation of this.

tweinstein:
The article says that for every one child returned to Brazil, it sends 3 children to another country.
"In the last 9 years, 129 children were repatriated to Brazil and 359 were sent out"

In 2002, Brazil returned 7 children and in 2011, it returned 62. There are currently 109 requests to return children to other countries and 33 to return to Brazil.

It accuses Germany of never returning children.

Interestingly, it talks very little about the United States. The only references are a discussion of David Goldman's case and a mention that the United States is one of the countries with the most requests to return children. I suspect that a few children were returned to the US via negotiations in 2011, but through court orders, the return rate to the US is still near zero. I guess if my two children were taken today (rather than 6 years ago), I may have had a chance for their return.

André Felipe:

--- Quote from: tweinstein on July 17, 2012, 07:51:40 AM ---The article says that for every one child returned to Brazil, it sends 3 children to another country.
"In the last 9 years, 129 children were repatriated to Brazil and 359 were sent out"

In 2002, Brazil returned 7 children and in 2011, it returned 62. There are currently 109 requests to return children to other countries and 33 to return to Brazil.

It accuses Germany of never returning children.

Interestingly, it talks very little about the United States. The only references are a discussion of David Goldman's case and a mention that the United States is one of the countries with the most requests to return children. I suspect that a few children were returned to the US via negotiations in 2011, but through court orders, the return rate to the US is still near zero. I guess if my two children were taken today (rather than 6 years ago), I may have had a chance for their return.

--- End quote ---

I don't know if it is true, but the article gives the impression that nowadays Brazil is working hard to return abducted children, as if the new Left Behind Parents had better chances than LBP like yourself, who had your children abducted several years ago.

It seems the Br CA, AGU and other authorities are very aware that the slowness of the Judiciary would mean non-compliance with the Hague Convention, and so, as reported by the article, they sent police men at the same time of a judge's preliminary order were isued, as an attempt to put the child inside an airplane immediately before the "kidnapper" parent gets a stay order from the second instance.

At one side, it is positive, as the Hague Convention demands expeditious responses, but I'm also worried if the authorities are only making such maneuver when they are absolutely sure there's no possibilitie of one of the Hague's exception to be present on the case.

I wonder if these improvements showed by the report in regard to Brazil's response to theses Hague cases are resulted by the Goldman Case and the movement it started in 2005.

NoansDad:
Well in my case an attorney at the AGU told me that my judge WOULD NOT be returning my son  because of the fact that Sean Goldman had been returned. (He told me 4 months before the judge made his ruling)

The judge of course then worked to find a way to make that happen within the legality of the Hague Convention, including holding the hearing without notifying the AGU attorneys so that they did not attend.

So in some cases Sean Goldman coming back has not helped parents get their kids back. I have extreme doubts over those numbers that they claim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version