Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ***** FORUM DECORUM **** PLEASE READ! *****  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Mom25

• Veteran Member
***** FORUM DECORUM **** PLEASE READ! *****
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
Quote from: M.Capestro;10420
I thought it was agreed in an earlier thread that we were going to raise above the name calling and move on to bigger and better things.

:yeahthat:

Please avoid any name calling. The moderators will move and delete posts that are feeding into this bad habit. Please remember that these forums were created to Bring Sean Home, we became a Foundation and have embraced other abduction cases to help other parents-left-behind. This website is maintained by volunteers only and it welcomes people from all over the world who are willing to support the cause, government officials, media and any other parties check this website. Please let's keep the integrity and the indisputable reputation of this Foundation by keeping inflammatory messages off the site.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:53:44 PM by Teena »
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline Chuckles

• Veteran Member
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:24 PM »
I was going to post some guidelines based on some recent postings, but Mom25 stated it perfectly.

We are here as representatives of the support for David and the other LBPs. Let's handle ourselves with the same class they display in what is an infinitely more difficult struggle than our trying to be witty on a message board. Simply put, behavior contrary to this policy will result in not only posts being deleted, but - at minimum - the poster being placed in a moderation queue.

M'kay?
Chuck Caspari
Administrator
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Teena

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:38:08 PM »
M'Kay Chuckles!
Teena Duffy
BringSeanHome.org

Offline CarpenterSteve

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
Bottom line, this site is devoted solely towards the goal of reuniting David and Sean. (and hopefully raising awarenes and helping others in similar heatbreaking situations)

Anything that hurts this effort, such as name calling, badgering, attempts at fostering nationalistic animosity etc all HURT that goal. Moderators will Moderate.

I am told that it is the wish of the man closest to this case to take the "High Road", sometimes even against the advise of advisors. That being said, respect the man's wishes, follow his lead and Take the High Road!

Please review the Terms of Service for additional details.

http://bringseanhome.org/terms.html

Thank You to EVERYONE for your devotion to this noble cause.
Stephen P McKenna
Administrator - BringSeanHome.org

WE NEED YOU and YOUR COMMENTS

ONGOING EFFORT - KEEP SENDING EMAILS TO THE UN!!!

Offline Teena

• Veteran Member
Re: ***** FORUM DECORUM **** PLEASE READ! *****
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 07:03:20 PM »
I agree with all of you. Maybe it would be a good idea for everyone to revisit the "Why am I here" thread. Let's get back to the basics. We are a great team and proved that we CAN make a difference. "Taking the high road" is the ONLY way to go. We can win this battle with integrity and our heads held high. Why give JPLS any more ammunition to twist this into what it is not. We are better than him ....we should prove it.
Teena Duffy
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Chuckles

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:49 AM »
One more note, and not to be...

:DeadHorse2:

Many people have become friends here - a great thing.

But, please honor your fellow members' privacy by using their screen names rather than their given names.

That's all! Thanks!
Chuck Caspari
Administrator
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Teena

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 01:10:35 AM »
I am also sorry for :DeadHorse2: but........

Please refrain from "country bashing". Whether it be about Brazil, USA or ANYWHERE!

Remember why we are all here....

THIS IS NOT USA vs. BRAZIL
Teena Duffy
BringSeanHome.org

Offline TomD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »

Express your indignation with dignified language
 This Forum and the whole Bring Sean Home support effort are remarkable, and every participant deserves to be commended.  There’s no doubt these efforts have had a profound effect on helping David’s fight to be reunited with his son.
  The comments and stories shared have galvanized so many good people to come together and demonstrate the best qualities of human solidarity.  We all need to stay focused on the common purpose of this Forum.
   I have one suggestion for making the Forum even better, hopefully more effective.  These are my opinions based on my experience and I consider myself an average member of this group, so each of you can draw your own conclusions.

I am a friend of David’s having met him a few days after Sean was abducted.  I am very angry about what has been done to David and Sean, first with the abduction, court rulings and now with this slanderous media campaign.  The sense of outrage is palpable, and I am not suggesting anyone curb their emotions. But I have also seen David conduct himself in a dignified manner, and that is a trait of this man that we all ought to emulate and perpetuate.  How can we do so?
  Well, regarding the platitude that one should not dignify slanderous allegations by even offering a reply, it might work in a utopian society, but not in this situation.  So reply we must, but the language we use is very important.  Our emotions cannot be constrained, but our language can be and IMO, should be.
  David’s opponents have tried to turn this into a public opinion debate between Brasil and the gringos.  Their methods and lies are truly despicable.  These unjustified attacks are actually a legal ploy that is well-known and is regarded as a fallacy by legal scholars, judges and honest attorneys.  Here is what an experienced divorce lawyer thinks:   Lifted this from http://www.mddivorcelawyers.com/fathersrights/
Website belonging to Thyden Gross and Callahan, LLP

Argumentum Ad Hominem
December 12th, 2008
An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: “argument to the man”, “argument against the man”) consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject. – Wickipedia.com
… I’ve received two ad hominems this week, one against me and one against a client of mine, from opposing counsel who ought to know better.
The first accuses me of asserting a right without any legal basis and the writer says “as I have come to see your conduct, it does not surprise me.”
The second says “Frankly, it is puzzling that [your client] would fight for custody in light of his apparent disinterest in taking parental responsibility.”
Now you have to be fairly thick-skinned to be a divorce lawyer, and litigation is pretty rough and tumble in the heat of battle, so I don’t lose a lot of sleep over things like this. But there is a Code of Civility in both jurisdictions where I practice, that says lawyers should treat opposing counsel and opposing parties with respect and courtesy.
Both of these ad hominems are unnecessary attempts to say “Shame on you.” If anything they are counterproductive because they only cause the recipient to dig in their heels and redouble their efforts to prove them wrong. So think twice before you hit the send button, reread your letter, and make sure it contains only those matters which move the case forward.

OK, so some of you may be saying “We are not attorneys, so this is not applicable to us.”
  The arguments from David’s opponents are mostly not legal arguments either; their weapon of choice is the Argumentum Ad Hominem with almost no truth to their allegations.  So do we want to go on record as using the same fallacious method, even with truth on our side?

I would paraphrase this Argumentum Ad Hominem ploy as "Those who have neither the LAW nor factual truth on their side resort to attacking their opponents and creating a smoke screen of irrelevant issues to divert attention from the essential matter."
  See also http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/person.html for an explanation of why this ploy is fallacious.

We do not have to resort to the same tactics.  David, to his credit, has taken the higher road from the start and not resorted to Ad Hominem arguments except to directly answer false allegations. It is so tempting to reply in kind to the slanderous allegations, but I think it is a matter of the tone we use that can maintain the higher road. By choosing our words with caution and restraint we can avoid the inherent fallacy in debating and refuting false allegations.  We can state opinions which refute falsehoods without personally attacking the person stating the lies. It takes a lot of restraint to do this, but I have seen it done effectively by many of the posts in this forum and other media blogs.  Again, that is not to say we don’t feel the anger and outrage, but we express it with language that is more factual than inflammatory.   Patricia Apy's letter and that of Ricardo Zamariola set a good example for us. There is certainly some emotion conveyed in those letters (more so in Ricardo's), but they present facts to refute false allegations rather than impugning the character of the "allegators." The readers are left to draw their own conclusions about who is telling the truth.
  IMO this approach will make this Forum a more effective force in helping David’s cause.
  For those who have trouble venting their frustrations without using inflammatory language, I do sympathize with you.  Maybe it even has to be done, but I don’t think this Forum is the right place for it.  Let’s try to stay with David on the higher road. Try to save your venting for other outlets and stay focused on the facts.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Offline M.Capestro

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
  • Twitter: @Capestro
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 11:15:27 AM »
We've had a surge of new members signing on these past few days, so I thought it might be useful to move this thread up.

WELCOME!!

Offline Teena

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
Mom25 made a great point that I would like to share.

Please remember that David Goldman DOES NOT participate in this forum. Anyones opinions are their own and should NOT be considered that of David's.

Also, any legal advice given by any of our attorney friends are also just their opinions and should be taken as just that....not an ultimate legal view.
Teena Duffy
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Teena

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Bump-------
Teena Duffy
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Mom25

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
Quote from: M.Capestro;27440
We've had a surge of new members signing on these past few days, so I thought it might be useful to move this thread up.

WELCOME!!

Quote from: Teena;28645
Bump-------

:yeahthat:
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline liesl78

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »
Bumping for the new members