Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is taking so long??  (Read 4151 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wendy

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1914
What is taking so long??
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:24:33 AM »
I know everyone else (esp. David) is feeling this but I just don't understand what the hold-up is?  Now the SOS Clinton has discussed this with the Brazilian foreign affairs minister, how much longer is this going to go on??  I can't understand the hold up! Do we have any idea how long it will be before this is heard in the Brazilian Federal court??  
 
I am so frustrated! I can't even imagine how David and the team must be feeling.
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
 
~ B. C. Forbes ~
 
"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Offline tstravis

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
i know, wendy, i too am feeling frustrated... i cant even get a response from my House Representative.. i got one "canned" response from a senator.  It makes me wonder if anyone is listening.  But as frustrated as i feel, (and i have only known about this since Dateline).. can you imaging how incredibly frustrated David and his family must feel?  i cant imaging going through that for almost 5 years already! I am not sure i would still be sane right now!

Offline Mom25

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1290
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »
Unfortunately, that's how it is. Even though FM Amorim and SOS Clinton talked, the case still has to go through the federal courts.

Roger gave some insights on how it works - but mainly, FM/SOS can put a lot of pressure to speed up the process - yet - the process will still take its time through the courts.
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline Mom25

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1290
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »
Unfortunately, that's how it is. Even though FM Amorim and SOS Clinton talked, the case still has to go through the federal courts.

Roger gave some insights on how it works - but mainly, FM/SOS can put a lot of pressure to speed up the process - yet - the process will still take its time through the courts.
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline Hanna

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 153
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:36:13 AM »
Quote from: Wendy;870
I know everyone else (esp. David) is feeling this but I just don't understand what the hold-up is?  Now the SOS Clinton has discussed this with the Brazilian foreign affairs minister, how much longer is this going to go on??  I can't understand the hold up! Do we have any idea how long it will be before this is heard in the Brazilian Federal court??  
 
I am so frustrated! I can't even imagine how David and the team must be feeling.


I feel the same way Wendy. I can barely sleep thinking about this story and thinking about what must be going on in Sean's mind. What are they telling him? This is just taking too long....:(

Offline Amazee

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 95
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:49:53 AM »
Thanks for saying it! I am checking for new info and updates several times a day.
 
I need to hear something positive.
 
When is the court process going to happen?
 
You all are right, when you say: Can you imagine 4 1/2 years of this for David?
 
How do the left behind parents cope?
 
Thanks for reading my rant.
 
Godspeed.
Bring Sean Home

Isabel

  • Guest
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
The conversation between Hillary Clinton and the Brazilian Ambassador cannot officially speed up the process because the government is separate from the Courts system. The case will have to be tried in court and the only thing we can hope for is that the pressure put on the Brazilian government is such that it makes them in turn pressure their Federal Courts to properly apply the Hague Treaty on Abducted Children. I believe David will eventually get Sean, but I would be extremely surprised if this happened anytime soon. First, a court date will have to be set and the case will have to be tried "normally" in order to allow the Brazilian courts to safe face while they finally decide to abide by the International Treaty they signed years ago.

Offline Amazee

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 95
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »
It would be impossible for me to learn about the Goldman family, and now, others who are in similar circumstances and not get fired up about it (let alone emotional).
 
Originally, when users of this forum and BSH started talking about the demonstration to be held March 17, I thought for sure that Sean would be home by then...
 
Reality has set in..... This situation can't be rushed, but I agree with you, Isabel, that Sean will return home, and it does not appear to be as quickly as all of us would like.
Bring Sean Home

Offline Teena

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2154
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
I too have prayed and asked God "why?". Why is this taking so long? I truly believe that Sean and David have a purpose. As painful as it is for them they have raised so much awareness about what is going on in the world. Their story can only help the hundreds of other parents who have lost there children to other countries. This has to put pressure on Brazil when it comes to other cases such as Timothy's. I have faith that Sean will be reunited with David permanently and it will also help others be reunited with their children! GODSPEED
Teena Duffy
Moderator
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Mom25

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1290
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 12:30:39 PM »
Quote from: Isabel;881
The conversation between Hillary Clinton and the Brazilian Ambassador cannot officially speed up the process because the government is separate from the Courts system. The case will have to be tried in court and the only thing we can hope for is that the pressure put on the Brazilian government is such that it makes them in turn pressure their Federal Courts to properly apply the Hague Treaty on Abducted Children. I believe David will eventually get Sean, but I would be extremely surprised if this happened anytime soon. First, a court date will have to be set and the case will have to be tried "normally" in order to allow the Brazilian courts to safe face while they finally decide to abide by the International Treaty they signed years ago.


That's right, they are 2 different entities... but FM/SOS can voice their interests behind the scenes, as it was explained in the main blog and other forums... but still... the parties will need to face courts, and JPLS will probably appeal the decisions... and this can be another huge drag...

That's why it is important to have the public outraged and everyone worked up... that's why we need to make lots of noise, contact the media, and all officials involved (reason why we are constantly contacting gov't officials and the media)
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline Mom25

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1290
TUESDAY EFFORT
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
Please read the new thread TUESDAY EFFORT to learn about the new round of emails we are about to send next week!! Also, check the Contact Gov't officials thread if you want to join that effort as well!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
Mom25 (She of Many Names)
A união faz a força

Offline Teena

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2154
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
Quote from: Mom25;896
That's right, they are 2 different entities... but FM/SOS can voice their interests behind the scenes, as it was explained in the main blog and other forums... but still... the parties will need to face courts, and JPLS will probably appeal the decisions... and this can be another huge drag...
 
That's why it is important to have the public outraged and everyone worked up... that's why we need to make lots of noise, contact the media, and all officials involved (reason why we are constantly contacting gov't officials and the media)

I couldn't agree more! We HAVE to make pressure on gov't and media a prority! Look how far David has gotten in the past few months because of it! Keep up the good work and effort! Its paying off!
Teena Duffy
Moderator
BringSeanHome.org

Offline Wendy

  • Veteran Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1914
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »
I completely understand that it still has to proceed through the Brazilian courts but I fully expected that a date would be set by now.  It's ridiculous to think that this could drag on for another who knows how long.  I know that Federal courts in any judicial system have a lot on their plates, but given that it's being going on for four and a half years already, one would think that some expediency would be in order in spite of anything LeS would do.  I just makes me so angry to think of Sean being with that family one more single minute!!
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.
 
~ B. C. Forbes ~
 
"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Offline anna42

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
I am getting quite annoyed at the Congress for taking so long to respond...UGHHH!!!!  I am going to keep trying...I definitely won't give up!!!!

Isabel

  • Guest
Re: What is taking so long??
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
Courts in Brazil are similar to the Courts in Portugal...expediency is not part of their vocabulary, in fact, I think it is unheard of. For Americans, it is exasperating, because the system is different, but the dragging out of the process is not "not normal" in our countries. The system is very different, these courts are much slower, and that is just a fact, that unfortunately can drag on for years. David's and Sean's plight, unfortunately will not be able to speed up the process much, in my opinion, this is just how the system works. Plus, we must remember, that the Lins e Silva dude knows how to use the system quite well and probably knows how to make a sloowww system drag at snail speed.
 
That is not to say that pressure should not be made and that we should'nt keep trying. Quite on the contrary. Showing support for David, showing the Brazilian courts that the US and the rest of the World is looking at them, that their own citizens are outraged at how they are deciding important issues such as those which determine a child's future, may just make them abide by the convention they signed and have not bothered to follow.
 
 
Quote from: Wendy;903
I completely understand that it still has to proceed through the Brazilian courts but I fully expected that a date would be set by now. It's ridiculous to think that this could drag on for another who knows how long. I know that Federal courts in any judicial system have a lot on their plates, but given that it's being going on for four and a half years already, one would think that some expediency would be in order in spite of anything LeS would do. I just makes me so angry to think of Sean being with that family one more single minute!!