Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I am an American citizen and married to a Brasilian man (who has just told me he wants a divorce and to soon travel with our daughter to Brasil).  (Read 23153 times)

Offline Grace

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
"(In other words, he doesn't enjoy himself because he does not want to translate for me. He sees me as a huge liability in Brasil, and most likely overall.)"

It is a pain. When my husband goes with me to Brazil my head almost explodes trying to translate everything. I feel bad for him there. I also hate when I am with a group of Brazilians having fun here and he just sits there. We do best with other Brazilian women who also date or have American husbands, so he can talk to them. I can relate a little to your husband when it comes to that. Not with wanting to take your child from you-that is the most horrid thing you can do to a parent.

Offline Grace

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
I am not sure about this ok, but I remember once my passport was expired and someone from the Consulate in Washington told me that they would let me in the country and I had a number of days to renew it-THERE. So I am not completely sure he wouldnt be able to travel with an expired child's passport, especially with a parent.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 12:12:21 AM by Grace »

Offline tweinstein

• Left Behind Parent
  • Veteran Member
As I was speaking to USAMom on the phone, her husband came home from work. If she doesn't participate tonight in this thread, you know why. She'll be back tomorrow when he is at work again.

Offline Nicole's Dad

• Left Behind Parent
I'm sorry to say but some of the reactions here are really pissing me off. This man has already said that he wants to take the child to Brazil without her. It doesn't matter what the reasons are why he wants to do it. He's already taken money out of their account. Those are all RED FLAGS.

If they are having marital problems, it's not our business nor is it our business to advise her on trying to work it out. Don't some of you realize that she will be falling right into his sympathy trap if she tries that? He will pretend it's all good and she will be weak and then allow him to take the child with her thinking it's all okay now? Cmon.

The only focus and advice we should be giving her is about the child. It's unfortunate but nobody cares about her marital problems. This man is trying to convince her to take her child away from her. She needs to take a stand against EVIL people!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All this softie XXX approach just does not work with these type of people. We need to provide assistance in preventing ANOTHER child abduction. That's it. We are not here to be marriage counselers. We are here to bring Sean home and the other children and to help prevent this from ever happening again.

Sorry about getting on my soapbox. This man is trying to abduct one of OUR American children. This woman needs to get as far away from him as possible and set up the barriers where she needs to set them up. We are here to help this child from being another victim of parent alienation and seperation. Nothing more.

Offline AnotherDad

• Veteran Member
I don't know what state she lives in, but I think most states will give her an emergency restraining order regarding the kids, based upon her evidence. She can prevent this abduction with a good, aggressive atty. Roger is not kidding.

Offline riceandbeans

Quote from: Nicole's Dad;14016
Sorry Rideandbeans but you are wrong. There is a requirement for a minor child traveling with one parent. The problem is that there is no enforcement of the law because it is such a grey area with law enforcement. The airlines are suppose to ask for this but a lot of times they do not because of regulations not being strong enough.

Huuumm... Interesting. because according to a reminder on The Department of State website related to children abduction:

REMINDER: The United States government does not have exit controls at the border. There is no way to stop someone with valid travel documents from leaving the United States. The U.S. government does not check the names or the documents of travelers leaving the United States. Many foreign countries do not require a passport for entry. A birth certificate is sufficient to enter some foreign countries. If your child has a valid passport from any country, he or she may be able to travel outside the United States without your consent.

Offline caique mateus

Regarding the expired Brazilian passport, I wouldn't count on that to avoid anything. I traveled to Brazil once with an "autorização de viagem" because my Brazilian passport was expired and the Brazilian Consulate wouldn't issue a new one in time. It was never a problem for me to leave Europe, since I have an European passport too. When I arrived in Brazil, I proactively showed the man on the border that the Brazilian passport was expired and that I had an authorization. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't even notice. But even if I didn't have the authorization what would he do? I am a Brazilian citizen. Where would he send me to?

Just another thing, most Brazilian people understand spanish very well, with no study at all. And also speak well enough to comunicate easily. Portuguese and spanish are very similar, but Portuguese has more sounds than Spanish. So, Spanish is almost like a "bonus" for portuguese speakers. It's not that easy the other way around. Spanish speaking people will not understand portuguese that easily. So, if this is the case that he could be trying some kind of "kidnapping arrangement" in Mexico, language wouldn't be a problem.

I'm very sorry for your situation. I would go for all the proactive advices you received in this forum. Don't be naive, get a lawyer, take all actions.

I would also dare to give one more piece of advice. Make a network of friends, count on them for personnal support for you. They can help you to stay strong when things get ugly, which probably will happen, let's face it.

Sheryl

USA Mom, Watch for ANY change in his behavior or activities- good or bad. It may be a sign that something is going to change. Any chance of getting into his computer history? Is there anyone at his job you can trust and talk to?

Offline paigefaust10

USAMom, Roger and Nicole's Father is right; there are multiple red flags that your husband has already shown; the biggest one is withdrawing a large amount of money. Please be careful and PROACTIVE....you are a mother and our instincts are strong, use them. And get an International lawyer, maybe one who is very educated on the Hague Convention, just in case. I'm no lawyer, but have been on this board long enough to know that you can protect you and your daughter in advance from your husband. Good luck! We are here for you.

Offline momofthree

Quote from: riceandbeans;14061
Huuumm... Interesting. because according to a reminder on The Department of State website related to children abduction:

REMINDER: The United States government does not have exit controls at the border. There is no way to stop someone with valid travel documents from leaving the United States. The U.S. government does not check the names or the documents of travelers leaving the United States. Many foreign countries do not require a passport for entry. A birth certificate is sufficient to enter some foreign countries. If your child has a valid passport from any country, he or she may be able to travel outside the United States without your consent.

uh-oh...didn't she mention earlier that she had given him the child's birth certificate? Would that be enough to enter Brazil with her? (Assuming she gave him the Brazilian certificate of birth abroad)

Offline paigefaust10

Quote from: momofthree;14072
uh-oh...didn't she mention earlier that she had given him the child's birth certificate? Would that be enough to enter Brazil with her? (Assuming she gave him the Brazilian certificate of birth abroad)

No, she has both her daughter's birth certificate and US passport, but a birth certificate is easily obtained so she is worried about that.

Offline momofthree

Quote from: paigefaust10;14074
No, she has both her daughter's birth certificate and US passport, but a birth certificate is easily obtained so she is worried about that.

Ok, I just reread that....but he can probably just get a copy from the Embassy...she better act quickly!

Offline paigefaust10

I know...it's easy to obtain a birth cert for your child...which is why Roger and everyone else has told her to do something fast and not wait for her husband's next move. Oh, I can't imagine how she must be feeling....

Sheryl

USAMOM, Please don't fall for a sudden change of heart in regards to a divorce, continue with seeking the advice of an attorney. He is going to make it sound as if you are crazy for thinking a certain way or belittle you in subtle ways so you always doubt yourself. Does he isolate you from friends and family? Make sure your friends and family are AWARE of what is going on! They can help keep an eye out for you and watch your daughter. Do you have an emergency place to go and some cash? Stash some clothes in the trunk of your car in case you need to get away fast without him being aware of what you are doing. You are NOT crazy! These gut feelings you are having are telling you to be watchful.

Offline Claudia.Hope

ALERT:
Another thing to consider ....
There is a black market for the Brazilian passport, so you can get one very easy...:(