Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Tone" clarification.......  (Read 2830 times)

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
Re: "Tone" clarification.......
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
Quote from: meg3325;16942
This is a tough call. Diplomatic discourse is best. It may take longer and it's more frustrating, but in the long run it will work out. If a more hard line approach is used, the result could backfire.
2 words....Elian Gonzalez.....
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

Offline caique mateus

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 11:07:49 AM »
Truth is on our side. Truth has power.

Offline AnotherDad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
Quote from: jl2saint;16943
2 words....Elian Gonzalez.....

Please elaborate on your reference to the Cuban boy.

Offline jdv28

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
jl2saint...I'm like you when it comes to these issues.  When you're writing a PERSONAL letter, who cares what we think.  But if it is a letter on behalf of others as well, then you must take several things into consideration.

I NEVER was outspoken until my son was taken, then, put on your fireman suit b/c I was on FIRE!!!  All these emotions you spoke about, must come out as you see fit for that time or issue.

My g'ma used to tell me, if you're gonna kick them in the A$$, do in front of their face and with a big smile.

So let us ALL SMILE HUGE!!!
Give MORE these:hug:  & LESS these :argue:

Offline heatheram29

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »
This is a PUBLIC FORUM. In here FACTS are our bullets. DIPLOMACY is our weapon.

Offline jl2saint

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
Quote from: AnotherDad;16972
Please elaborate on your reference to the Cuban boy.

Similar situation. 1 parent deceased....

Our govt honored the Hague and made arrangements to expedite Elain's return to his remaining biological parent.....

Simple really....
Lastly - David, there are many prayers across the world going out for you and Sean. When I got my son home - regardless of all the attempts of parental alienation that were forced on him - he said "Father, I always knew you loved me." I am certain Sean feels the same way.

Peter

JL

Offline Wendy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
Quote from: jl2saint;17201

Our govt honored the Hague and made arrangements to expedite Elain's return to his remaining biological parent.....

Simple really....

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe Cuba is a signatory of the Hague.

The only similarity is that the mother abducted the child and then died.  The US did the right thing without having a Hague agreement with Cuba (in fact there weren't very good relations between the two countries at all at the time if I'm not mistaken).
History has demonstrated that the most notable winners usually encountered heartbreaking obstacles before they triumphed. They won because they refused to become discouraged by their defeats.

~ B. C. Forbes ~

"It doesn't matter which way you cut this. If you abduct a child from a country and remove it from its parents, its other parent and its extended family and its culture, it is one of the most extreme forms of child abuse that you can inflict upon a child."

well said by Ken Thompson.

Cāmara

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe Cuba is a signatory of the Hague.
You are right. The USA really did the right thing.

Offline LukieD

• Administrator
  • Veteran Member
    • http://bringseanhome.org
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 01:29:45 PM »
Quote from: Wendy;17296

The only similarity is that the mother abducted the child and then died. The US did the right thing without having a Hague agreement with Cuba (in fact there weren't very good relations between the two countries at all at the time if I'm not mistaken).

Wendy, you are not mistaken. So it wasn't actually about the US having an obligation to an international treaty they signed, although that would be reason enough to do it. It was about respect for natural law, i.e. a biological parent's rights to be with and raise their child, and AS IMPORTANTLY, a child's right to be with his father.

Offline AnotherDad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
Quote from: jl2saint;17201

Simple really....

I wondered what you were trying to say because that case has been discussed on BSH from a number of angles over the past couple of months. As others mentioned, not only was Cuba not a Hague nation, the Hague, as I recall, wasn't even in existence when that event happened. Also, the longstanding terrible relations between the 2 countries and the conditions of squalor in Cuba were important elements to the controversy.

Another considerable difference between the two situations is that Elian wasn't in the US for a great amount of time before being returned. Anyway, other than being a boy close to Sean's age and a mother taking the boy away and subsequently dying, I couldn't follow which angle you were referring to by just saying "two words: Elian Gonzales".

I think it is worth adding, though, that while I've read how people think it would be too traumatic for the Brazilian gov't to go in like the US did to get the boy, and we who are old enough remember those photos of the frightened boy, I've read on here a few minutes ago that Elian now says his reunification was the happiest day of his life. Point being that Sean is more traumatized by the ongoing abduction than he would be by a few minutes of forcible removal. Also, JPLS wouldn't be keeping human blockades outside his toney condo like they had in Miami.

Cāmara

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »
the Hague, as I recall, wasn't even in existence when that event happened
The Hague convention on the aspects of international child abduction is existent since October 1980 and entered into force in 1983.

Edit: The USA has been part of it since 1988 and Brazil since 2000.

Offline AnotherDad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
Thanks, I stand corrected. I didn't know that about the Hague. I still would say the other comments are accurate.